R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Coolant Leak & Cost of Dealer Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Engender
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Leak & Cost of Dealer Service

Just got back from the dealer after a service on my 09 MCS, $1,000 lighter. Money is tight at the moment, so I am getting my service in triage mode and I still have a coolant leak that the dealer suggests will be fixed by replacing the water pump. The dealer has quoted my $650 for replacing the water pump.

I have two questions. First, how concerned should I be about the coolant leak? Second, do you think I would be able to get a better price from a non-dealer mechanic for replacing the water pump and, if so, could someone suggest someone in Northern Virginia, preferably in Arlington or Alexandria?

Coolant leak. The dealer first alerted me to the coolant leak when I went into the dealer after my service light came on last October. Today, the dealer reported that they had to add about half a gallon of coolant to top off the coolant tank. Evidently, the coolant is leaking at a rate of half a gallon every six months. The dealer told me that the mini holds about 1.5 gallons of coolant. Assuming that my mini won't overheat until it runs out of coolant completely, this leak does not seem to be of great concern. Am I wrong? Should I A) be very concerned, meaning I should get the water pump replaced before taking the next long trip; B) be somewhat concerned, meaning I should get the pump replaced within the next six months and check coolant weekly; or C) not be very concerned, meaning I should get the pump replaced within the next year and check coolant monthly? As I've said, I choose "C"—please tell me if I've chosen wrong.

Non-dealer service. Any thoughts on what a competent independent mechanic who warranted his or her work would charge to replace the water pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My first question is can you turn a wrench? You can do the work yourself and save a buttload of money. Get yourself a Bentley manual and take a Saturday to do it and you will be so rewarded with being able to fix something yourself.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
My first question is can you turn a wrench? You can do the work yourself and save a buttload of money. Get yourself a Bentley manual and take a Saturday to do it and you will be so rewarded with being able to fix something yourself.
I can turn a wrench, but I am concerned about getting involved in a car repair and then realizing it is beyond my ability thereby wasting time and possibly getting into a situation where I can't put the car together to the point to get it back into unrepaired-but-running condition.

Do you know that replacing the water pump is something an amateur can do?

Also, I am concerned about tightening things either too much or too little. Is that a reasonable concern?

Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I had a similar situation. I had gone to the dealer for other work, and they told me my water pump was leaky and that I should get it fixed soon. A week or two later I noticed my scangauge showing temps all over the place and confirmed I was very low on coolant. Brought it to a local MINI shop who confirmed the water pump and thermostat needed replacing. The leak also caused the serpentine belt tensioner to seize and I needed to have that tensioner and belt replaced too. Total bill ended up being $900 and change.

There are plenty of reports of leaky water pumps. I'd get it taken care of ASAP.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Why use the dealer....
3rd party independent shops in my area Typically charge about HALF the MINI dealer rate for labor....I Do drive an HOUR to get to a MINI centic independent shop, but the $$ savings are real!!
And if your water pump is leaking....try checking it DAILY!!
An overheat MIGHT cost you a motor!!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:27 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
And the correct response is A!!
ASAP! AND CHECK IT DAILY!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Engender
3rd Gear
Blerg. I was looking for reassurance from you guys and I find the opposite. Does anyone have opinions contrary to those of Tu13es and ZippyNH?

Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Why use the dealer....
3rd party independent shops in my area Typically charge about HALF the MINI dealer rate for labor....I Do drive an HOUR to get to a MINI centic independent shop, but the $$ savings are real!!
And if your water pump is leaking....try checking it DAILY!!
An overheat MIGHT cost you a motor!!
My response to this is that I am confident that the dealer knows how to complete the repairs on the MINI and will warranty their work. If something goes wrong with the repair, I'll have the entire MINI-BMW corporate entity to complain to if the dealership does not live up to my expectations.

With an independent mechanic, I need two things: 1) a reputation for honesty and 2) a reputation for experience with MINI Coopers. That's a tall order.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Engender
I can turn a wrench, but I am concerned about getting involved in a car repair and then realizing it is beyond my ability thereby wasting time and possibly getting into a situation where I can't put the car together to the point to get it back into unrepaired-but-running condition.

Do you know that replacing the water pump is something an amateur can do?

Also, I am concerned about tightening things either too much or too little. Is that a reasonable concern?
With the Bentley manual there as a back up to guide you and a some time, yes an amateur can do a water pump. I would suggest replacing the thermostat and the thermostat housing as those tend to go as well in and around the same time.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Since you have asked for independent mechanic recommendations in Northern Virginia, with MINI experience, try MachV in Sterling.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
With the Bentley manual there as a back up to guide you and a some time, yes an amateur can do a water pump. I would suggest replacing the thermostat and the thermostat housing as those tend to go as well in and around the same time.
For where would you suggest that I order parts? I google "mini parts" and found www.minimania.com. On that website, a "reconditioned" water pump is almost $200. Would a new one cost $300? If so, that is almost half of the dealer quote ...

Would an independent mechanic use a new part? Should that be a concern?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:35 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
My advice: A water pump should not be your first DIY on a Mini Cooper. Contact www.machv.com. Or, surf www.dcmetrominis.org for other mechanic suggestions in the DC area.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
For where would you suggest that I order parts? I google "mini parts" and found www.minimania.com. On that website, a "reconditioned" water pump is almost $200. Would a new one cost $300? If so, that is almost half of the dealer quote ...

http://www.ecstuning.com/

They tend to have good prices. Also look here for part numbers if you need them
http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kin...0070700&arch=0

Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JAB 67
My advice: A water pump should not be your first DIY on a Mini Cooper. Contact www.machv.com. Or, surf www.dcmetrominis.org for other mechanic suggestions in the DC area.
Why?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear

Suggestion...First DIY is small things...work UP to water pump.
MINI-MANIA is BY FAR THE MOST $$$$.
And for a water pump, go new. Most reputable 3rd party shops have a good source of NEW parts that they can buy WHOLESALE..cheaper than you can buy online.....
IF THEY BUY THE PART THEY WILL USUALLY WARRANTY THEM.
IF YOU BEING A PART FOR A SHOP TO INSTALL, IT MEANS, NO WARRANTY IN ALMOST 100% of the time!!

To give you an idea of the cost savings, My local MINI centric shop charges about $90 per hour shop-rate...Dealer charges 160+$, so on a 4 hour job, it adds up FAST!!
And no reason to try to save 10% by using a reman/reconditioned..... LABOR is the real expense in MOST MINI Jobs....have a good part installed. Like I said, the good indepent shop will guide you!
If they say...we don't know where to get MINI parts, RUN!!
Check out that link to the local MINI club!! They have a few local fav's I bet!!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
I don't consider a water pump a hard install even for a first timer. It gets you into the nitty gritty of the engine which is good plus it is nothing crazy just removing a belt and some bolts.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Originally Posted by porthos
i don't consider a water pump a hard install even for a first timer. It gets you into the nitty gritty of the engine which is good plus it is nothing crazy just removing a belt and some bolts.
+1