Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant leak help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Khai
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak help

I have a coolant leak when running, it is at a hose clamp below the bleed screw that is behind the battery box.

What would be the easiest way to get to and fix this leak? And what do I need to do before I disconnect the hose?
I never messed with a cooling system so I don't know what to expect but it seems easy enough, I don't know why it isn't sealed.

'02 hardtop 80k miles

Old 08-13-2015, 08:04 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I think #18 is what we are seeing in this photo? (Correct me if I'm wrong). Part # 17-12-7-515-494.

You'll need to inspect to see if that piece is broken, the hose is torn or if possibly the clamp is just loose. Coolant hoses here if needed.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-13-2015, 08:11 AM
Khai
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
I think #18 is what we are seeing in this photo? (Correct me if I'm wrong). Part # 17-12-7-515-494.

You'll need to inspect to see if that piece is broken, the hose is torn or if possibly the clamp is just loose. Coolant hoses here if needed.
Yep, that's the one, it looks like it could just be loose, but I can't reach it without moving anything.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:28 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by Khai
Yep, that's the one, it looks like it could just be loose, but I can't reach it without moving anything.
Ok, so! I'd say remove the easiest thing to access it, which I think is probably going to be the battery/battery box. This tech article here goes over the removal and may be helpful. Once the battery is removed, you'll need to remove the battery box retaining bolt in the front right section of the box as well as the battery box clips inside the box (I believe there are 3). You then will disconnect the harness clips (3) from the bottom of the box. Pretty simple, install is just the reverse of this.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Khai
2nd Gear

yep, i checked it when i got home, that piece is cracked, going to have to replace it. now im just wondering, can i just yank those hoses off of it and have only minor spills? or do i have to worry about pressure. I will be ordering that part though, thanks!

Old 08-14-2015, 04:32 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
If you let the car cool, there will not be any pressure, just remember you still have gravity at work, what I mean is that all the fluid in the cooling system above the lowest point of your disconnection will want to find its way onto your floor...

The best way to minimize coolant leakage is use hose clamps to isolate and seal off the hoses you are going to disconnect. If you don't have hose clamps, then the next best way to deal with it is drain the cooling system prior to doing the work, that way you can control where it comes out (more importantly where it is being collected, e.g., drain pan) vs a big mess all over your shop floor or driveway.

As a reminder, your car is a 2002, so all those plastic pipes and rubber hoses are over 13 years old, lets face it you got your moneys worth out of them, as you remove parts, you are going to find that you going to discover a few other parts that at the end of their useful life span.

Best of luck...

Motor on!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:54 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
yep, i checked it when i got home, that piece is cracked, going to have to replace it. now im just wondering, can i just yank those hoses off of it and have only minor spills? or do i have to worry about pressure. I will be ordering that part though, thanks!
JABowders gave you some great advise for its removal. Definitely inspect and observe the parts you're working around for defects as well. Let us know how it goes and if you need any help during the process. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Khai
2nd Gear
I will be working on it next weekend when the part comes in, seems like there's nothing too bad about it. I'll probably just drain it out to make things easier. Thanks a lot!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:09 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I will be working on it next weekend when the part comes in, seems like there's nothing too bad about it. I'll probably just drain it out to make things easier. Thanks a lot!
Glad I could help. Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Khai
2nd Gear
Well, I managed to get the hose clamps off, but just can't seem to pull the hoses off even with all my force, I don't want to pull/twist any harder and damage the hoses. (They seem to be the most expensive ones) How do people normally get these off in tight places?

Last edited by Khai; 08-22-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:06 AM
takrdown
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I had to remove the hoses that go through the firewall and they just wouldn't come off. I eventually ended up cutting the hose with a razor and installing a new one. It stinks, but that's my anecdote.

For the eventual pain you will face reconnecting them, the best lubricant I found to place them back on is...wait for it...coolant. Just take some coolant onto your finger and rub it around the plastic piece and inside the hose. Works like a champ.

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:10 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Well, I managed to get the hose clamps off, but just can't seem to pull the hoses off even with all my force, I don't want to pull/twist any harder and damage the hoses. (They seem to be the most expensive ones) How do people normally get these off in tight places?
Maybe try a very small flat head screw driver and try to run it through the plastic piece and the hose. Could maybe even try some WD40. Otherwise, usually they get pretty corroded and get "baked" on. I've had to cut the hoses off. Let us know if you get it off!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:17 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Yes, use of a Hose Probe (see image) pointy end between hose and connector then use it to separate the hose from what it is connected to. Rotate the tool around the hose and connector to loosen them.

Best way to get those old stubborn hoses loose.

Motor on!

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak help-hose-tool.jpg  
Old 02-05-2017, 06:42 PM
edgy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my drip pan after a week of car sitting still. I replaced the plastic coolant overflow tank with an aluminum one (M7) last year when I noticed the original was looking like it was going to crack open. Not leaking anywhere near the overflow tank or hoses - appears to be dripping down front of engine, dead center. Can't get the car up high enough to see anything. Pressurized the coolant system and it didn't force any leaks. I'll get it back on a rack tomorrow and see if I can find anything that looks like the pictures/diagrams in this thread.

Gotta say - this forum is worth soooo much when you're chasing problems on an older (2002) car.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Definitely looks to be coming from the front of the engine somewhere, but you'll want to inspect closely once you get under the vehicle to be sure where the source is coming from. I'd inspect closely to the water pump area. It's connected to the end of the supercharger. I'd be curious if possibly your water pump flange may be a suspect. Either way, definitely take a close look at it once you get under your MINI. This article can help you find there location: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm. Let us know what you find out.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:24 AM
edgy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely looks to be coming from the front of the engine somewhere, but you'll want to inspect closely once you get under the vehicle to be sure where the source is coming from. I'd inspect closely to the water pump area. It's connected to the end of the supercharger. I'd be curious if possibly your water pump flange may be a suspect. Either way, definitely take a close look at it once you get under your MINI. This article can help you find there location: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm. Let us know what you find out.
Thanks a bunch! I'm going to get it up on a rack today so I can actually see from the underside. Visibility is not great, as you probably already know. I know where it's not coming from - which is no help at all.