R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Xenons: Love them or hate them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Mini-LG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xenons: Love them or hate them?

Hi everyone!

I just ordered a new 2013 MC Hardtop and am still undecided on the Xenons. My last Mini (07 recently totaled in an accident) had the stock lights and I can't remember if any of the loaner cars had the Xenons. What is this "falling off into black" that I hear people talking about? Are they annoying or worth it? I will also have the front fogs on the car as I do a lot of night driving on country roads and in fog/snow, etc.

Also, I see some folks were still able to order English Oak trim in late 2012 to be installed on their 2013s. They won't let me order it so I removed it all from my wrecked car. Seems strange that they are not offering it any more.

Thanks for any input!

LG

Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM
avuton
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-LG
Hi everyone!

I just ordered a new 2013 MC Hardtop and am still undecided on the Xenons. My last Mini (07 recently totaled in an accident) had the stock lights and I can't remember if any of the loaner cars had the Xenons. What is this "falling off into black" that I hear people talking about? Are they annoying or worth it? I will also have the front fogs on the car as I do a lot of night driving on country roads and in fog/snow, etc.
I love my Xenon's, couldn't imagine life without them now. I don't know anything about falling into black. To me the difference is stunning, I feel like I can see so much better at night.

Also, I see some folks were still able to order English Oak trim in late 2012 to be installed on their 2013s. They won't let me order it so I removed it all from my wrecked car. Seems strange that they are not offering it any more.
I would be doing the same, if I were to sell or if my car was in an accident. Love my English Oak. What a bone headed move to stop selling it, or giving an alternative to those of us were looking for something a little natural on the interior. It's really a nice touch.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Hi everyone!

Thanks for any input!

LG
I ordered Xenons on my '13 Clubman and like them. I don't think I'd order a car without them. They seem slightly better than my MKV GTI's Xenons, but not by much. I haven't experienced any auto leveling issues in the months I've had the car.

--Matt

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM
kromdom
3rd Gear
wish my wife's "almost fully loaded" clubbie had xenons

Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
My 08 has them, and I find them incredible. I would never be without them if they are an available option.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Mini-LG
2nd Gear
You guys are awesome! Thank you for all the great feedback. Ok, I feel better now. What is it about signing the paperwork, I always second guess everything! Thanks again.

LG

Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 AM
rac427
3rd Gear
Get them when you order the car! Because you will want it and find you have to do whole bunch of thing to get it!

Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2013 with them. A must have when ordering a mini.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Finner
3rd Gear
The "falling into black" decribes the end of the xenon range. I have xenons and like me. But I understand what you are asking. The brighter xenon's, at the end of the projection, the darkness is more obvious it seems. Where the regular lights start to fade into the dark area when looking out...the cutoff of light and dark is more pronounced with the xenon's. Would I get xenon's again? Yes.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Xenons are a nice feature. They are brighter. I think life would go on without them but they are nice. I have had them on my first mini and ordered them on my current. I will order them on the next one as well.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 AM
wariosport
1st Gear
Xenons lights are supposed to last the life of the car. I personally would not buy a car without them unless it was not an option *cough cough* Tundra! It almost renders the Fogs useless honestly. Just my two pennies.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
All my vehicles have Xenons, a true must have. In fact, if I had to choose only 1 option, it'll be Xenons.

The Xenons have a sharp beam. In other words, where the beam lines up, it's a clean cut so the darkness(like the other poster noted) looks darker since it's sudden. I disagree about the fogs being useless (with Xenons) as the fogs spread sideways and give a better gradient. A must have if you live in deer country.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM
wariosport
1st Gear
Originally Posted by IzzyG
All my vehicles have Xenons, a true must have. In fact, if I had to choose only 1 option, it'll be Xenons.

The Xenons have a sharp beam. In other words, where the beam lines up, it's a clean cut so the darkness(like the other poster noted) looks darker since it's sudden. I disagree about the fogs being useless (with Xenons) as the fogs spread sideways and give a better gradient. A must have if you live in deer country.
That's why I said almost inferring that they are very bright and provide great visibility.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Have both, order the Xenons!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I won't buy a car without them anymore. The difference is that big. Unless you're always driving in urban environments that are well lit, buy em.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered my Mini with them as well, as said above there great and even more so if you drive in the back woods type areas. I opted for the xenon's that turn as you turn the steering wheel to, so it helps to see around the turn's as you drive.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 PM
REHATLGA
1st Gear
I don't konw how well the xenons work on the MINI, but I wish that I could have found a MINI with xenons on the dealer lots. You really do have to order them. Few MINI's seem to come with them.

I have them on my Audi and I have become accustomed to them. I really miss them on the MINI. The lights on the MINI seem to be weak to me without them.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Car-Fan
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Must Have" in my book. Even my 2006 (R53) MCS had Xenons. They should be standard/oem for all manufacturers at this point IMHO

Old 01-20-2013, 04:52 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And the adaptive Xenon lights are even better.... I will NEVER EVER, have a car without them. My wife has a 2012 Kia Sportage AWD turbo, and Xenon's aren't available. When I drive that at night, it's horrible... I did put SliverStar's in the KIA's high beams, and it's better, but NOWHERE near the Mini Bi-Xenons.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:16 AM
ISDE94
Neutral
Hi everyone!

Thanks for any input!

LG
Absolutely love the Xenon lights!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 AM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't realize that anyone disliked Xenons. I LOVE mine. Like so many others have said, they are at the top of my absolutely must have list. I drove my mom's Cruze over the Christmas holidays and really noticed the lack of xenons every time we were in a non-well lit area. I really missed my MINI.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 AM
LNz04
2nd Gear
My 04 has them and they have so spoiled me! I drive a lot of country roads and the drop off they're talking about is pronounced but in actuality the deer or raccoon's eyes reflect at a much farther distance. Saved me or actually saved the deer, many times. I don't care what the cost, any car I have from now until I die will have them! The fogs really do help too and it really ticks me off to have to take the bumper cover off to change a fricking bulb!!!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 AM
GFMINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MUST HAVE on any modern car. There is no reason not to have them. You know how the Sylvania commercials say having better bulbs can prevent accidents? Yea, XENON lighting is still better than those "top of the line" bulbs. When the Nissan 350z came out, i had one of the first to hit the dealers outside pre-ordered, there was no option had to have them on any model above base, that sold me on them 10 years ago. After that, I got a WRX with halogen lighting, and one of the first things I did was source STI Xenon headlighting and had an electrical guy at my work help me wire up the leveling system for manual height adjustment. One of the requirements when I was looking to buy my used MINI was that it had the Xenon setup, and just my luck the one I found close to my home had them, and was cheapest priced with the lowest mileage, all the proper "repairs and fixes" in the service records, and loaded with plenty of options, i couldn't say no! Had it just had the halogens, I probably would have walked out on my first visit to keep looking a little longer.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Like the others have said, once you've used them you won't want to drive at night without them.

I absolutely will not buy a new car without them, but it's especially helpful for us older guys who don't see so well at night/rain conditions.....

Buy them, you'll be glad you did!

Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Def get the Xenons. I got them on my '13 and its the best thing I got, next to the NAV system. As for the English Oak, I ordered it from the parts dept and had it installed prior to delivery. It cost more but was worth it.

Quick Reply: R56 Xenons: Love them or hate them?