R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 debating between clubman s and 128i

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 PM
kev_b81
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
debating between clubman s and 128i

My last car flooded in Hurricane Sandy (G35 coupe, 6spd) and I am debating between these two cars and am 50/50 at this point. Here are the two options and I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts or first hand experience with both.

1. 2011 128i coupe with 14k miles, 6 speed, $28k, CPO with warranty until June 2016 , black exterior, coral red interior (drool), sport package, moon roof, harmon sound system, etc (no xenons or bluetooth)

2. 2013 clubman s, would order and would cost approx $30k (pepper white, 6 speed, premium package, black headlights, heated seats, black wheels, etc)

i loved how both cars drove (although the mini was a bit more raw and fun). I don't drive a ton so gas mileage isn't as big of a concern. I am single/no kids so mainly run errands, visit friends/family, go to football games, biking etc.

A. How does the cargo room compare? I thought the 128i was suprisingly big (but the clubman is obviously more usable). Can I fit a bike in the clubman without popping off the front tire?

B. For those who have driven both, how do you think they compare. I thought they were fun in their own way.

C. I baby my cars (even though I still have fun with them). What do you think about the reliability of the 2?

D. Any other general comments/thoughts?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM
dparaho
3rd Gear
Two very different cars but personally I'd go with the 128i. I'm not sold on Mini reliablity but yes they are fun. If you can live with the inherent headaches of owning a Mini and want something with more storage spacw the Clubman may be your choice. I can't speak to the reliablity of the BMW. Keep in mind that both cars are on the pricey end as far as maintenance is concerned. Hope that helps.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 PM
SODA66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rumors are that Mini will stop producing the Clubman as they introduce new models like the 4 door paceman. Clubman sales are down compared to other Mini models. So Clubmans could become more valuable due to the fact that they will no longer be built or will decrease in value compared to other Mini models.

I have a clubman and am happy with it and the extra space for my grandkids and dogs. Without these requirments , I would take the BMW. It resale should be better. FWIW

Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
I've had many BMWs and a few MINIs, but you are comparing apples to oranges. The Clubman is the more practical option as it can hold more. The 128i is a very comfortable car with good power and handling, but can't hold much.

A good option is to check MINI dealerships for MINI Next Clubmans because they will have the same 6 year warranty that CPO BMWs have.

Last edited by The_Beastmaster; 11-27-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 PM
C4RACER
2nd Gear
I too have owned many BMW's and the Hardtop S is my first mini.

The BMW is a better overall balanced and handling car, and higher quality as well. The 1 series is fun to drive and the best handling car BMW has made since the E36 M3 (which I have owned). I have only driven the 135 version, but I would prefer the 128 honestly - that BMW turbo motor has not proven itself to be very reliable and the 3L I6 in the 128 is arguably one of the best non M motors BMW has ever made. The ideal 128i would be a 5 door 128i with the M-sport option. Of course they don't offer that here in the US.

But seriously, unless you need the space of the Clubman, I would pick the 128i hands down. If you were comparing to a MCS hardtop that may be tougher as the Mini is much smaller and lighter which brings it's own set of fun. But still having owned the MCS I think I would prefer a 128i.

But all depends what you need from a car - the Mini is our 4th car.

And my primary driver is an E39 M5.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I might give you build quality, but handling? Not even close. With a few choice mods, (yes you would have to do them, springs, shocks and rear bar, along with ditching the RFT's), the Mini is far and away better. (at least, compared to my heavily modified supercharged E36 M3 that I've owned since new, which is still a GREAT car). The Mini, (at least my hardtop S), is lighter and more precise. It's just more FUN to drive.

Anyway, back to the OP, does the 128 have fold down seats?

How much stuff do you really need to carry?

How often do you expect to subject adults to the back seat? So often that you really need a real car? Or could you just rent a real car or truck when you really need it?

Those are all things you have to figure out. But if it were me, and I were young and single, I'd be driving a GTR...lol

Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 AM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
The build quality on the BMW is better, with higher quality materials. I've always felt the handling of the MINI was its selling point. When MINI first came to the US, I had a track built Euro 635csi, and with all the suspension mods it handled well for a big car. The MINI on the other hand, had phenomenal handling off the showroom floor! I've had an E34 M5 and an E30 M3 and felt the MINI handled better than they did. However, I don't think the MINI can match the feel of my beloved 911s.

In the R56S that I just purchased for me mum, the steering is still there and the handling is awesome. Sometimes, I think the steering is too quick, but I'd have to drive it more and see if it is just my unfamiliarity with the car.

It sounds like you are probably an outdoor person, so the Clubman is probably the car for you as you can take in biking, hiking, kayaking... A friend from the early MINI days used to and still does, put a longboard on his car for days with good surf. If you are an urban dweller, a BMW might be a better fit.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
I have had a G37, a 318ti, a Cooper S convertible, and my current Clubman JCW. The Infiniti was always a pleasure to drive but not necessarily a joy - it lacked a certain amount of character and the performance was good but I simpl got tired of the car. The 318ti was a car I owned for 2 years in Germany. Last of the 2 door hatches and they never sold it in the US. Tried every avenue I could find for importing the car back to the US but ended up not doing it. Would have cost around $7000 in emission certification and shipping. I probably enjoyed that car almost as much as the Mini. Handled like a demon on 18 inch factory wheels and would cruise around 140 on the autobahn.
My 2010 Cooper S convertible got me hooked on Minis. Way more fun to drive than anything I'd had before plus a decent aftermarket support for fun parts. I had JCW envy since about a month after buying the car and used buying a 69 Impala convertible as an excuse to trade the S on my current Clubman JCW. The back seat is actually useable, something I would not expect from the 128 unless you and all your friends are on the shorter side and it would probably accomodate most bikes - not mine since it is a 63cm frame with a lot of seat post showing. Likely you will be taking the front wheel off. If it were me, I'd still go for the Clubman but get a roof rack. It's a natural for the car and easy access.
BTW, a dealer called me yesterday with a 2011 or 12 Clubman JCW they just got in. Might want to get in touch with them at 703-461-6270. I got one of the last 2 new 2012 JCW's about 6 weeks ago and I would rate the reliability of the JCW a little better since the engine was significantly reworked to accomodate the bigger turbo.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Same decision

Went with the MINI Clubman S with delivery in December (fingers crossed)

Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM
C4RACER
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
I might give you build quality, but handling? Not even close. With a few choice mods, (yes you would have to do them, springs, shocks and rear bar, along with ditching the RFT's), the Mini is far and away better. (at least, compared to my heavily modified supercharged E36 M3 that I've owned since new, which is still a GREAT car). The Mini, (at least my hardtop S), is lighter and more precise. It's just more FUN to drive.
Mini is the best handling FWD or AWD car I've owned or driven - no doubt. But to me it doesn't handle as well as a well balanced, reasonbly light weight 50/50 RWD car like a BMW 1 series or E36 / E30 M3 and certainly is not in the category of a sports car - vette, Z4, Boxster, Cayman, RX8, etc.

Speaking of which, another car I would seriously look at is the Subaru BRZ, although that one is even worse than the 1 series in terms of space and utility.

BTW - on the subject of fold down seats, I beleive all 1 series and 3 series coupes come standard with them.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
There are intangibles to consider as well. The MINI brings some personality to table. Also, owning a MINI is kind of like being in a club. Other MINI drivers come up to you in a parking lot and ask you about your car. I've been late to my kids' events because of the other enthusiasts. On the downside, some people don't understand the car's appeal and you might hear some odd comments questioning your sexuality or possible employment as a face-painted circus performer, not that there's anything wrong with that.

The BMW carries a richer cachet. It's considered a luxury performance brand, and you'll feel comfortable parking it in the Employee of the Month slot next to the VP's Porsche (what a tool!) Nobody will mock you for it. On the other hand, nobody will run up to you grinning maniacally and wax poetic on what it's like to own one, either.

Enjoy whichever you choose, though!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ignitionmodule
The 318ti was a car I owned for 2 years in Germany. Last of the 2 door hatches and they never sold it in the US.
Yes, they totally sold them here! I love their weirdness. I keep watch for them on Craigslist...There was one that didn't start for $500 last week. I see them on the road.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
Yes, they totally sold them here! I love their weirdness. I keep watch for them on Craigslist...There was one that didn't start for $500 last week. I see them on the road.
Bit of a mis-statement. They didn't sell the last version in the US. There was also an M sport model I saw a few times on the road.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
OH! That is nice! :-) Too bad they did not sell that here. Hopefully we get some of the new F56 Cooper platform-based small three door BMW's here.

So back to the original poster, I would go 128i. But the Clubman is very, very handy.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM
SODA66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ignitionmodule
Bit of a mis-statement. They didn't sell the last version in the US. There was also an M sport model I saw a few times on the road.
There are at least two of these BMWs here in Belleville, IL. I drove by one for over two years that sat in a driveway and was never moved. I notice lately that it is gone and think I see it driving around.(it has some distinguishing dents on it). I stopped one day at looked at it and it had a autotrans, so I did not pursue asking if it was for sale.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Look at the cars respective weights, and can you deal with FWD (or not)? When it comes to $30k cars like this a lot of it comes down to image rather than performance. You'll hear both sides of the pros/cons here, but the image thing is all on you. You might be ready for the Mini thing after doing beemer for a few. You seem to be considering it at least. And the 318i was a horrible car. No wonder it never sold here. Like the 525i.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SODA66
There are at least two of these BMWs here in Belleville, IL. I drove by one for over two years that sat in a driveway and was never moved. I notice lately that it is gone and think I see it driving around.(it has some distinguishing dents on it). I stopped one day at looked at it and it had a autotrans, so I did not pursue asking if it was for sale.
I know this is way off topic but you will not find a 2004 318ti that was originally sold in the US. Maybe the odd grey market car but the ti for NA ended with the 1999 model year.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM
seamusnh
1st Gear
I've had a 3 series and now have a Mini (although my wife drives it mostly). To me, there are so many BMW's on the road that they are not very distinctive. There is also not much difference between a BMW and an Audi and a Lexus and a... the Mini is, however, very distinctive and a blast to drive. People with other mini's wave at you when you drive it...

Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
I currently have both a Mini and BMW 128i in my garage. The Mini offers a real feeling of fun no matter how fast (or slow) you are going. The BMW is very powerful, and really shines on highway trips. NOT that the Mini is uncomfortable, it's just quieter in the BMW.

That being said, based on your criteria, I'd opt for the 128i so LONG as it's got all the options in it that you want, and MPG isn't a concern for you.

Our 128i is a 2012 model year. Jet Black on Coral Red Leather
Premium Package, Navigation, and Heated front seats w/ Sirius Satellite Radio and Bluetooth.
Name:  IMG_0212-1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  209.9 KB
Name:  IMG_4004.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  123.7 KB
Best of luck with your decision.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got both a Clubman S and a 1-series. I prefer the Clubman for its versatility and its distinctiveness. It's also easier to park and, to me, more fun to drive.

With the Clubman's rear barn doors and right-side club door, loading is much easier than the 1-er. I've put stuff in the Clubman that just wouldn't fit in the BMW. I don't know about the bike though; you could always take it to your dealer and try it out. Even with a Clubman, you may find that you'll need a roof rack.

Don't know how it is where you are, but here in SoCal, BMWs are virtually dime-a-dozen: They're everywhere, and they all look pretty much alike; they're pretty much appliance cars out here. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. Meanwhile, there are plenty of MINIs around too, but not so many of them are Clubmans. My Clubman draws more attention and comments (and waves) than the BMW.

I would imagine that the two will have similar reliability, especially as you're thinking about a new MINI versus a 2-year old BMW. The new MINI will include basic maintenance for the first three years; don't know about the BMW. It sounds like the new MINI will have a year-longer warranty than the CPO BMW. Neither will be particularly cheap to have worked on. There tends to be an impression among the general public and shops that people with BMWs have money, and bills may reflect that.

Another consideration might be cost to insure; I don't know how the two compare. In my case, the BMW is the more expensive of the two, costing a couple of hundred more per year than the Clubman. YMMV.

I would also mention that in the case of the MINI, you have the ability to order exactly the car you want; it sounds like you're limiting yourself to pre-owned BMWs, and there aren't all that many 1-series cars around: They're not a big seller in this country, and so your choices may be kind of limited. For example, the car you mention doesn't have Bluetooth (in a 2011 BMW - seriously?!?) or Xenons.

One more thing: You can't take the 1-series to AMVIV, or MTTS!

As you can tell, my vote goes for the new Clubman.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
C4RACER
2nd Gear
So I guess it depends what's important to you, OP.

If you want people to wave at you, I guess get the Clubman..

If you need the added utility - also get the Clubman...

If you want more refinement and interior quality / luxury and less road noise - 128...

Mixed votes for which is more fun to drive, I find RWD cars more enjoyable overall - although my Mini S hardtop can sure be fun on certain roads. Overall I'd rather have a 1 series if it were my only car tho. With the M5 as my primary driver, the mini makes for a nice contrast - although I have a feeling it won't last in my stable all that long in favor of something RWD. I would rather have a Z3-M coupe if I want a nimble ride. Do you really need the back seat? Maybe look at the Z4-M coupes, which are also in your price range.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 AM
kev_b81
1st Gear
Ok so I ended up with the clubman. I feel that I wouldnt get it ever if I didn't now and the bmw I can get later in life. Although on paper the 128 is probably better, the mini sucks me in and makes me more enthusiastic. Pics to follow.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 AM
timwu13
3rd Gear
Congrats on your choice!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:47 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Congrats on your decision KevB!