R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini Cooper S Hardtop vs the BRZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:43 PM
kal
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper S Hardtop vs the BRZ

I know it's not the right car to compare with. I need advise. I need reasons why I would get the Mini over the BRZ. Both vehicles are fun to drive. The mini looks cute and has a better interior compared to the brz. Any tips?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the BRZ and FRS are nice looking cars but I feel like 2-3 years down the line, the styling won't hold up unlike the MINI. Just my opinion.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 AM
kal
Neutral
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of that as well. In regards to tuning, you can only mild tune the mini to maintain the longevity of the vehicle right?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Summons
3rd Gear
Short wheel base driving coupled with a stiff chassis. A feel that can't be beat if you ask me!

BRZ is a brand new design. While the MCS has its faults, it has had a few years to be 'tweaked.' While my family has had luck with new designs, most have not!

In the end you need to take them out for a spin and see which one fits best!
Have fun!
E

Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
BRZ is a nice car, but isn't as polished inside and out and lacks some of the practicality of the MINI hatch in terms of storage (weird how much you can fit in a MINI huh?). I would like to have a BRZ, but as a 2nd car. I couldn't use it as my dd. Otherwise, I'm sure its a good performer and there will be a ton of aftermarket support in time. MINI has better resale too.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
. The BRZ looks great on the outside. That interior is a mess! That said it is not my money, but I would not want to look at that plasticfest dash everyday.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 AM
kal
Neutral
Thanks. I'm really inclined with the r56. I have another question, how long do car brands support older models. Like this r56, how long will they offer replacement when i hit my car or when i want to replace a part?

Will accessories still be sold even after the new model arrives?

Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Accessories are going to be subjective but the replacement parts have some sort of legal obligation which I believe is 10 years but I'm not sure. I recall that figure as that is what Saturn, pontiac and Saab all stated when we were looking for new car deals as they were going out of business.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:47 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kal
Thanks. I'm really inclined with the r56. I have another question, how long do car brands support older models. Like this r56, how long will they offer replacement when i hit my car or when i want to replace a part?

Will accessories still be sold even after the new model arrives?
You can get some idea of the level of support for the R53 MINI: support for that model is still robust, lotsa aftermarket performance / functional / appearance options continue to be available. Replacement parts? Not a concern at all, and it helps that these cars don't change often.

Many comments already about longer-term ownership and owning a "flavor of the day" car versus something with "classic" styling. That's another way of saying: the MINI has a certain shape to it, likely always will to some degree. Look at any photos from a MINI fest and you'll see classic / 1st Gen / 2nd Gen Minis-MINIs all mingling, and they all look like they belong.

Had I been among the first responses to your question, I might have said what I tell others: if you really want a MINI, nothing else will do. It's its own "thing", looks retro, has rabid fans, a cult, performs a certain way. Small, stiff, sprightly handling, unique interior, as luxe as you'd like. Or not. I'll bring this up with any discussion of "...but for $xxxx you coulda had a GTI, Mustang GT, Camaro, WRX, Genesis coupe, 380Z, yada yada." Yeah, I know. I thought a MINI would be fun to own, loved how it performed. It's been great.

I spent time in traffic last night side-to-side with a MazdaSpeed 3. Owned by an enthusiast, nice rims, tinted, and it looked really good. It's likely quicker than my MCS, has much more power. But...in 5 years? Hmmm. If you're buying / selling every couple of years, the next "flavor" will always be available and it's not really a concern. I planned for my MINI to hang out a long old while, though, and it already looked "classic".

Anyhow.

BRZ's will gain their own following. Maybe they'll develop a rabid fan base, too, like S2000's have, still. It's using the Subie 4, so hot-rodding these engines is well-established already, and that's a plus. As they sell some, aftermarket stuff will get going to enhance performance, add custom touches, and so on.

Drive both, of course. Either could "hook" you. I cross-shopped CTS4's, WRX's, Turbo Beetles, Abarth 500s. I liked the MINI best, and got into the whole MINI experience, it's a blast having it. I get that it's not for everyone, perhaps, being small, "firm" riding, and very "different". It was right for me.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 AM
OhBe1
2nd Gear
We drove the FR-S (Scion version) at the Baltimore demo. A TRD version, and both my wife & I liked it, & looked forward to testing a stock version.
So we did, but promptly go stuck in traffic. Wasn't fun in that environment. We decided the MINI was better for our vacation runs to unknown destinations, with unknown conditions. Carries a lot of wine, BTW.

Granted, in our case, if we need a few RWD grins, we still have a 15-yr-old Miata.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You just can't compare these two. FWD hatch vs. a RWD coupe. Why compare apples to oranges? Drive both and pick the one that you like best then don't look back.

Regarding the BRZ/FR-S platform, I would wait it out a couple of years. They are definitely going through birthing pains right now. It seems the consensus is the BRZ/FR-S platform is a joy to drive but the torque really stinks. The overriding theme is that the driving joy makes up for the lack of oomph. More reason to wait for the STi version w/turbo.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM
kal
Neutral
Thanks guys!

ljmattox,

I've always wanted a Mini. It's just the reviews were good for the brz. Anyway, I've decided to get the Mini. We already have a clubman since '10. I fell in love with the interior and how it drives. I guess all that matters now is the configuration and the waiting.

I'm a new member but I've been an avid reader since a year ago.

Thanks again guys! :D

Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kal
Thanks guys!

ljmattox,

I've always wanted a Mini. It's just the reviews were good for the brz. Anyway, I've decided to get the Mini. We already have a clubman since '10. I fell in love with the interior and how it drives. I guess all that matters now is the configuration and the waiting.

Well congrats on the decision and best of luck with the order. Now the fun/agony begins! Let us know how you make out with the order and hopefully it gets here soon.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:26 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kal
I know it's not the right car to compare with. I need advise. I need reasons why I would get the Mini over the BRZ. Both vehicles are fun to drive. The mini looks cute and has a better interior compared to the brz. Any tips?
kal,

It may not be for you - it was for me - but one thing you can get with a MINI that you can't get with the BRZ...is a convertible. Even if you have never considered one, maybe you should go to the dealer and drive one. It just might give you a different perspective. And while you are there, test drive a Roadster too.

Three+ years and 42,000 miles and we still love our MCSc.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Spooled
3rd Gear
I hate to say it, but I would definitely get the BRZ over the R56 anyday. That being said, I would still probably wait a year, just to see what kind of issues pop up with the first model run of the BRZ. Or wait and see what the next model MINI has to offer.
The BRZ/FR-S will probably be my next car, at this point, but I'm still loving my R53, so it will be a while.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:08 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinS
kal,

It may not be for you - it was for me - but one thing you can get with a MINI that you can't get with the BRZ...is a convertible. Even if you have never considered one, maybe you should go to the dealer and drive one. It just might give you a different perspective. And while you are there, test drive a Roadster too.

Three+ years and 42,000 miles and we still love our MCSc.
I went from my long-suffering Miata to my MCS. I didn't really consider a convertible, wanting the hatch area for the occasional German shepherd that would travel with us. And, I wasn't getting top-down very often in my usual commute.

Well.

I drove a Highgate convertible at the MTTS Chicago MINICross...and loved it! Cover the back seat, get a safety harness, and the GSD would fit fine back there too.

Good point. Convertible / Roadster option is nice to have!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
GreyLens
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kal
Thanks guys!

ljmattox,

I'm an old guy that has been lucky to own a lot of fun cars over the years. My 2009 JCW, GreyLenz, is the most fun car I've ever driven. I will drive it till I die...which, hopefully, will be quite a few more years.

I love the torque with the R56. You made the right move.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 PM
rdmini06
1st Gear
I test drove the FRS. Great car but I bought the Mini. Nuff said.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mini.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
In case you did not see it, here is another recent thread with discussion regarding pros and cons of the BRZ vs. MINI.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mpetition.html

Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The whole Subionyota is a nice idea but, like Ford and the Fiesta the lied about the car. They annouced it would start off at under $20k and well yeah that didn't happen. So considering you can get a S starting out at like $21k and get a okay optioned one I think I am going to pass on that car.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM
joe13472000
2nd Gear
You can get a slightly used and better equipped MCS for a LOT less than what the BRZ's are currently selling for.

But, assuming you can find a BRZ, why not test drive both and see what you think.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM
rdmini06
1st Gear
My local Toyota dealer wants $5000 over sticker for the FRS.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:59 AM
OhBe1
2nd Gear
Scions sell for sticker around here.

Quick Reply: R56 Mini Cooper S Hardtop vs the BRZ