R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Video of carbon removal

Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 AM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Video of carbon removal

Hey guys,

The carbon issue has been on my mind for a few days. Well low and behold my 3rd party mini service garage MiniWorx just put up a video showing the removal of carbon using the Mini/BMW walnut shell blasting.

Not sure what the cost is but they say the process takes about 2 hours in the video and I know their rates are lower than Mini's so it should be somewhat affordable. This company has a garage in Laguna Hills, Lawndale, and soon West LA so they should be able to perform the majority of Mini's in SoCal.

Enjoy!

MiniWorx Walnut Blasting

Last edited by mmcverry; 04-26-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: to get video to display
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be nice to see some before and after pics of the valves using this method to be able to compare with some of the DIY solutions.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 AM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
I'll request it from the guys at the shop- I'm not affiliated with them, just a fan so who knows how long it'll take for them to get it to me.

In the end all that matters is the carbon is removed- whether it be by seafoam, walnut shells, or any other treatments. I think the difference for people is going to be how much they want to get their hands dirty.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM
phattyduck
1st Gear
Its good to see a video of the real BMW tool... It may be possible to re-create this setup with a shop vac and a portable media blaster (I have been seriously considering this - and then offering it as service to Mini owners for like $150 or something )

-Charlie

Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
Yeah it may be. From what I've seen online, it looks like you can recreate the setup in an amateur fashion for about $250-$300 at Harbor Freight Tools. The media costs about $25, and I'm not sure how much you use.

$150 to charge may be a little on the low end though, my guess is a lot of the time is spent removing and replacing the intake, in addition to performing the actual service. (making sure each piston is at top dead center)

I feel if someone got REALLY good at this, they could make a pretty penny from Audi, BMW, and Mini owners.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 AM
phattyduck
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mmcverry
Yeah it may be. From what I've seen online, it looks like you can recreate the setup in an amateur fashion for about $250-$300 at Harbor Freight Tools. The media costs about $25, and I'm not sure how much you use.

$150 to charge may be a little on the low end though, my guess is a lot of the time is spent removing and replacing the intake, in addition to performing the actual service. (making sure each piston is at top dead center)

I feel if someone got REALLY good at this, they could make a pretty penny from Audi, BMW, and Mini owners.
Mobile Carbon Remove service, like the headlight restoring guys.

I already have the air compressor and shop vac - the challenge is getting a media blaster nozzle that works in the tight quarters we are working with.

-Charlie

Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
Just a heads up, price of the service is in the $530 to $580 range. Not sure what Mini charges but I'm sure it's a lot more.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:12 PM
bardot861
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mini cooper S 2007 carbon build-up and pcv ventilation problems related to oil usage

Hello All:

Interested in informed perspective relative to above. Approx 60K with all prescribed maintenance performed as scheduled. Early on had start-up clatter issue which was treated with timing chain /tensoner/guides being replaced - twice. While still under warranty -noted that oil always needs replenishing. After recent timing change/ etc. followed up on oil usage checkup - and dealer confirmed using in excess of 1 qt in 600 miles.
Diagnosis: PVC not working properly and carbon build-up needs to be cleaned out. Interested in experience of others in this situation / response from Factory. Because engine is direct injected - does that mean - ergo - in 20/30 or 60k miles - valves will be coked up?
Thnx for your experience.
Bardot

Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No before/after shots?!?!?!

I'll stick with gun cleaners and carb cleaner for now.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 PM
the matey
4th Gear
The price for them is 500$!!!?

MINI dose that for me for 99$

Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
Here's a vid with before/after:

Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 AM
mainestig
1st Gear
Originally Posted by the matey
The price for them is 500$!!!?

MINI dose that for me for 99$
I think you're confusing a Sea Foam treatment with media blasting.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 AM
the matey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mainestig
I think you're confusing a Sea Foam treatment with media blasting.
Is't it called Decarbon service? they cleaned the back of intake valves, tops of pistons and combustion chamber.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Beau M
2nd Gear
My 09 MCSa has 36K on it, I've only had it for a couple months but these carbon stories are scaring me. I just called Northwest Mini and they quoted me $149 for the valve clean service. I asked if they just squirted some cleaner in there and she said no, they use walnut shells, so it's the good one.

I will probably be getting this done soon, then putting a catch can in.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:42 AM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
If the 149 dealer charge is indeed for walnut blasting and not seafoam, by all means PM me the quote so I can print it and bring it to my service dept to get them to price match. That is a terrific deal and approximately what the service should cost.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:29 AM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
Okay so what steps can we take NOW to prevent this buildup from happening?

Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Meth injection is the best option for prevention. Catch can will reduce and slow build up.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 PM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mmcverry
Just a heads up, price of the service is in the $530 to $580 range. Not sure what Mini charges but I'm sure it's a lot more.
mmcverry: Can you share where you got this price? MINI of Ontario is only quoting me that it will be "under $1000".

Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 PM
mmcverry
2nd Gear
@cmdz : the price for the walnut blasting was quoted by miniworx in Redondo beach and Laguna hills. They are a mini specialty shop and have factory trained techs and mini factory tools.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
So... MINI of Ontario told me that I had "serious" carbon build up and that the fuel injectors and HPFP were in danger of being damaged if I didn't take advantage of their $1000 service. That didn't sound right, so I took my MINI to an independent BMW garage. The mechanic put a scope down the intake and showed me my valves... the valves were free of carbon. The intake itself had some minor build up, but nothing alarming and "totally normal" according to the mechanic. For a grand total of $150, he hand scrubbed the intake and the throttle body, replaced the gasket and replaced a missing rubber mount on my air filter housing.

Now, for that $1000, MoO would have hooked me up with a loaner car for the couple of days they would have had my car. Personally, I'm glad I saved the $850.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdZ
So... MINI of Ontario told me that I had "serious" carbon build up and that the fuel injectors and HPFP were in danger of being damaged if I didn't take advantage of their $1000 service. That didn't sound right, so I took my MINI to an independent BMW garage. The mechanic put a scope down the intake and showed me my valves... the valves were free of carbon. The intake itself had some minor build up, but nothing alarming and "totally normal" according to the mechanic. For a grand total of $150, he hand scrubbed the intake and the throttle body, replaced the gasket and replaced a missing rubber mount on my air filter housing.

Now, for that $1000, MoO would have hooked me up with a loaner car for the couple of days they would have had my car. Personally, I'm glad I saved the $850.
That's such BS man. And here I thought the folks at Mini of Ontario were all honest and laid back people. I'm glad you took your car somewhere else. I take my car to Ronin Autowerks in Fullerton when I get the oil changed every other time I take it to the dealer(still under warranty).

If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up going? It'd be nice to find something a bit closer.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 PM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
@NewCooperFanatic: I went to Dalcar on Main Street at Spruce in Riverside. It ain't glamorous and there's no free coffee, but they are always busy (that's a good sign, right?). This is the only service I have had with them, so I don't have a long track record of using them. I'll be getting a coolant leak (likely water pump) taken care of after the holidays. Maybe then I'll be able to provide some educated guidance about whether or not to use them. (I'm real cautious about recommending people)

Here's the deets:

Dalcar Auto Repair and Transmission
Dalton Mastrocolla
(951) 530-0222
2391 Main St.
Riverside CA 92501

As for oil changes... I invested $140 in:
- a set of plastic ramps
- 1/2" ratchet extension and u-joint thingy (stop me if I get to technical)
- oil catcher thingy (with reservoir)
- blue nitrile gloves (5 pair)
- 5 quarts of MINI brand synthetic oil (though I found out it's just Castrol One)
- MINI oil filter (WIX is probably better)

Then I reviewed a bunch of articles and YouTube videos JUST TO MAKE SURE that I didn't miss something completely wacky... turns out, it's real easy and straightforward to change your own oil. Plus, I had fun getting my hands under the hood. MoO charges about $130 for an oil change... my next one will cost about $45, since I already bought the equipment.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdZ
@NewCooperFanatic: I went to Dalcar on Main Street at Spruce in Riverside. It ain't glamorous and there's no free coffee, but they are always busy (that's a good sign, right?). This is the only service I have had with them, so I don't have a long track record of using them. I'll be getting a coolant leak (likely water pump) taken care of after the holidays. Maybe then I'll be able to provide some educated guidance about whether or not to use them. (I'm real cautious about recommending people)

Here's the deets:

Dalcar Auto Repair and Transmission
Dalton Mastrocolla
(951) 530-0222
2391 Main St.
Riverside CA 92501

As for oil changes... I invested $140 in:
- a set of plastic ramps
- 1/2" ratchet extension and u-joint thingy (stop me if I get to technical)
- oil catcher thingy (with reservoir)
- blue nitrile gloves (5 pair)
- 5 quarts of MINI brand synthetic oil (though I found out it's just Castrol One)
- MINI oil filter (WIX is probably better)

Then I reviewed a bunch of articles and YouTube videos JUST TO MAKE SURE that I didn't miss something completely wacky... turns out, it's real easy and straightforward to change your own oil. Plus, I had fun getting my hands under the hood. MoO charges about $130 for an oil change... my next one will cost about $45, since I already bought the equipment.
I hear you on the DIY oil changes, my only issue is the lack of time to do it. I'm always working or always have something else taking up time.

But thanks for the details, I'm just scoping some places for just incase some heavy work is needed on the car. At the rate I drive I'll be out of warranty real fast.

As for the oil changes, isn't it free when the service indicator says its time do it while under warranty?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 PM
DragonRider1
Neutral
$150 for the valve clean? The local dealer charged me that just to pull the engine codes and still didn't fix anything. They want $830-850 to do the walnut service!

I swear, as much as I like this car I have never, out of 40+ cars, ever had one nickel and dime me like this and still not run right. Why is it so much fun to drive when it works, but why doesn't it work enough to be fun? I hate catch-22's!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Beau M
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DragonRider1
$150 for the valve clean? The local dealer charged me that just to pull the engine codes and still didn't fix anything. They want $830-850 to do the walnut service!

I swear, as much as I like this car I have never, out of 40+ cars, ever had one nickel and dime me like this and still not run right. Why is it so much fun to drive when it works, but why doesn't it work enough to be fun? I hate catch-22's!
I feel your pain. Well, I felt your pain. Then the pain got to be unbearable, and took my Cooper S back to the dealer and raised a stink. Ended up trading it in for a 2012 Justa. It is such a better car than my 2009 S was. My wife drives the Justa, I got a 2013 WRX. MUCH happier. Only thing I miss is the MPG's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R56 Video of carbon removal