R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Aftermarket CPU Programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 AM
cheezehead
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket CPU Programming

I bought a used R56, 2008. It has a lot of mods on it. I took it to a dealer, according to my VIN i should have the comfort access on it, but it doesnt work with my key.
My question is, if the person before me that put all the mods on, reprogrammed the cpu with an aftermarket programming, would that take out this option or other options that the dealer would normally program?
The dealer is telling me they would have to program it again and thats $132 labor charge.. :-(

Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
An engine tune (effects the DME module) should not effect your comfort access (CAS module).

Did you replace the battery in your FOB?

The $132 for reprogramming seems like a decent deal to me.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
cheezehead
3rd Gear
I wasn't able to pull up the CAS menus on my mini, so I'm thinking it needs to be reprogrammed. I had initially talked with another dealer and they told me the option was installed, so I'm not sure why its not working. I can understand that if I was given say a 3rd key that wasnt programmed for CAS, but like I said, I'm not even getting the menus.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:09 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezehead
I wasn't able to pull up the CAS menus on my mini, so I'm thinking it needs to be reprogrammed. I had initially talked with another dealer and they told me the option was installed, so I'm not sure why its not working. I can understand that if I was given say a 3rd key that wasnt programmed for CAS, but like I said, I'm not even getting the menus.
A MINI with CA has the little black buttons on the outside door handles.
Your MINI should have 2 CA key fobs. The CA fobs have a removable cover for battery replacement. The non CA fobs have a rechargeable battery. Not sure the non CA fob can be opened?

What is CAS menus? If you are talking about programming the OBC then there is no special distinction between CA and non CA.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 PM
cheezehead
3rd Gear
I have the black buttons on my door handles. I have a fob that has a removable battery too..
The Mini SA said there were menus to program certain functions of CA such as drive away locks and auto lights, all from the display. This can be found in the manual too, and I couldnt get the menu functions that it showed.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM
klricks
4th Gear
Did you have the ignition on? The ignition is on when you can see the fuel gauge lit up. You can't get to all the menus unless the ignition is fully on. With CA push start 2x or once with fob in the cradle. For non CA fob must be in cradle then push start 1x. Don't press brake or clutch so engine does not start.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
cheezehead
3rd Gear
Yep, I had the ignition on. I remember because I had to go through and figure that out first, to make sure I was in that mode.
According to the Mini dealer, I would have to get the reprogramming done... Just not sure why I would need it done though if the car is supposed to have it.. only thing I can think of is that the original owner had it disabled or bought a new key and didnt program it.. I dont know.. its a mystery to me..

Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 AM
JimR56JCW
3rd Gear
I have the black buttons on my door handles. I have a fob that has a removable battery too..
The Mini SA said there were menus to program certain functions of CA such as drive away locks and auto lights, all from the display.
These menu options have nothing to do with CA. I have them on my non-CA MCS.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:16 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Yep, I had the ignition on. I remember because I had to go through and figure that out first, to make sure I was in that mode.
According to the Mini dealer, I would have to get the reprogramming done... Just not sure why I would need it done though if the car is supposed to have it.. only thing I can think of is that the original owner had it disabled or bought a new key and didnt program it.. I dont know.. its a mystery to me..
Does the metal door key fit? Did you replace the battery? Note that the keyfob will start the car with a dead or missing fob battery if placed in the slot.
If not programmed for CA the remote buttons will still work.
When I got my Clubman the dealer lost one keyfob. They ordered me a new one and mailed it to me. The remote buttons worked but CA functions on that key did not work until I made a trip (200 mile) to the dealer to have the new one programmed in.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
cheezehead
3rd Gear
So it turns out that the Mini dealer actually re-programmed my CA for free!!! I have my mini in getting the clutch bearing replaced (under warranty), and the SA said that he needed to get another part and that since they were in it, he would just knock that out for me at no charge. And if I decide to buy another $500 CA Fob/Key, they would program it for free..
Wow, great dealership! Seriously! if you live in AZ, Tempe Mini has been outstanding so far..