R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Aftermarket Anthracite headliner

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 AM
psc239
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Anthracite headliner

Hey guys and gals,

First post here. I've been cruising the forums pretty heavily over the past few weeks to try to figure out what options I like best for a new MCS order I'm about to place (first Mini ever!). You have all been tremendously helpful, so THANK YOU!

My question is, is there an aftermarket mod similar to the factory ordered anthracite headliner?

I'm asking because there is a MCS in stock at a local dealer that is almost identical to what I'm looking for, except it doesn't have the headliner. I gotta be honest, I can't stand the beige... I'm considering passing up the in-stock Mini for a custom order unless I can get that changed.

Am I crazy??

Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock headliner is actually grey in the MCS. I don't think beige has ever been in there. I'd try doing a search for aftermarket headliners. I know they exist, but can be expensive to install.

And I wouldn't call you crazy. It's a MINI and more importantly, its YOUR MINI, so you want what you want. If you can't find it exaclty how you want it, then order it.

Best of luck

Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
psc239
Neutral
Hey NJ - Thanks for the reply and the encouragement!

I notice you have a 2010 MCS? I'm guessing they switched from grey to beige in 2011 because it is definitely beige (the Mini website even calls it that). Personally I would have preferred they kept it the same

And I did a lot of searching on google and this forum before making this post, to no avail. So I'm pretty much assuming your answer is the right one... oh well. Looks like it might be a custom order for me.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by psc239
Hey NJ - Thanks for the reply and the encouragement!

I notice you have a 2010 MCS? I'm guessing they switched from grey to beige in 2011 because it is definitely beige (the Mini website even calls it that). Personally I would have preferred they kept it the same

And I did a lot of searching on google and this forum before making this post, to no avail. So I'm pretty much assuming your answer is the right one... oh well. Looks like it might be a custom order for me.
either i never took notice to the headliners in the showrooms, or every single one was ordered with the anthracite option. the 2011 mcs i picked up was fortunately ordered with the anthracite and the black color line. they weren't things i was looking for but am glad i got them.
as for whether or not you should pick up the car as is, you should also throw the current incentive that (supposedly) ends on 5/2 into the equation. the free option comes up pretty huge when you get the premium package, which has an invoice of $1575, throw in for free. according to the current terms, you have to take delivery by 5/2. if you're serious about the car, maybe ask the dealer what they can do. when they're close to closing out a deal, they're willing to wheel and deal a little bit. my car didn't have bonnet stripes (which was a no cost option with the sports package) and i got them to throw it in before i signed the papers. maybe they can source a headliner for you somehow.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
You can purchase the anthracite headliner pieces and replace the ones in the car. Ask the dealer how much they would charge for it (may be quite expensive unless you do the labor yourself).

People have done different things when creating custom interiors. The plastic can painted or dyed, or lined with alcantara or other material.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2011 headliner is beige and I got a quote of $1200 to have MINI of Charleston replace it. Sigh... When I ordered The Dread Pirate from the factory I didn't notice the anthracite option and my MA (not with the company any longer) never mentioned it. I don't mind the beige any more and it actually makes the car seem a little roomier.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The stock headliner is a cheap piece o crap in any color. Try a local upholstery shop for a quote for a custom job in a better material, like alcantara. Gotta be less than having the stealership swap for anthracite and no doubt a LOT cheaper. Definitely worth a shot.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
From what I remember, the visors are about $40 each. I don't know about the handle and side visor, but I would do the pillar trims in the same material as the hood lining. Or I guess you could dye them.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I just finished changing out my grey headliner for the anthracite. If you take your time and have a helper, it shouldn't be that difficult. I did mine on my own without a helper and it took me a good weekend, on and off to remove the old pieces and replace with the new. At the same time, I replaced my colorline dash and door trim pieces as well as adding a few carbon bits.

I went ahead and ordered and replaced all of the hard grey plastic pieces but if you wanted to take the time, you could just paint them to match. I want something that will last for the life of the car without too much worrying about so I bought all the pieces and added with the headliner, was not a cheap project but no where near what a dealer will charge you. There are a lot of grey parts to replace so take that into consideration if you decide to take it on. I now have the interior that I would have ordered if I hadn't purchased a used MINI.

There is a trick for installing the headliner. When you take the old one out, you can pretty much just push your seat all the way forward and pull the headliner out through the door opening. When you go to install the new one, make sure you roll down the window of the door you plan to install the headliner through. It will make it so much easier to be able to place the headliner in without creasing it although you will have to slightly bend it to get it in anyway.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:41 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
It would be pretty expensive to retrofit the factory pieces I think. If I was going to do it, I'd get someone to cover the stock gray parts in alcantara, but it probably wouldn't be worth it. Maybe you can get used pieces from a junkyard?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:04 PM
psc239
Neutral
All of you rock. I really appreciate the input. A lot.

I thought about it long and hard, and I just don't want to mess with swapping out the headliner. Just too much for me to deal with (and too many things for me to screw up!). I figure if I'm gonna spend a good chunk of change on a brand new car, I might as well order it exactly how I want.

So, I came to a deal with my MA yesterday on an order! I'll be posting my experience soon...

Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on the order! Definitely a great way to go to ensure you get waht you want. What did you end up spec'ing?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM
psc239
Neutral
Thanks! It's Eclipse Gray w/ black roof & stripes. Premium package, sport package, automatic, armrest, and of course.... anthracite headliner

Now comes the wait...

Old 04-28-2011, 04:40 PM
sequin
3rd Gear
Now comes the wait...
.... which is the hardest part!

Good idea to order. I've never regretted ordering exactly what I wanted.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Thanks! It's Eclipse Gray w/ black roof & stripes. Premium package, sport package, automatic, armrest, and of course.... anthracite headliner

Now comes the wait...
no bluetooth? that option has been pretty money for me. not so much for the bluetooth, but the ipod integration. i just leave an ipod in the car now and am never short on music. the cd player hardly gets used. the bluetooth comes in handy for the wife...her phone syncs to the car as soon as she starts it up and all her calls get routed thru the stereo system.