R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Out of Warranty Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 AM
plin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of Warranty Maintenance

Hi
Where do people bring their Minis for maintenance (oil changes, brake pads, etc.) after the warranty ends? I'm mostly interested in the NYC area, but just curious in general about what people do in other parts of the US. Does anyone bring their Mini to a standard oil change business? Are there any good, honest non-dealership Mini mechanics in the NYC area? I don't want to be charged an arm and a leg at the dealership, but I will if there is no choice. I don't have the space or skills to do the maintenance myself. My 3 years of free maintenance is up in about 6 months. Am considering buying the extended warranty if there is no where else to bring my Mini for standard upkeep. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
I'd be hesitant to take my MINI to a quick oil-change facility. Even though they probably have manuals, etc., on how to remove the coolant tank, the tool to remove the filter housing... and assuming they have the correct filter, O-ring, crush washer, etc... I don't know. I'd rather not have somebody learn how to do it on MY car.

I've done my own oil changes for years now, so personally, I don't mind getting oily. But if I was going to farm it out, my preference would be to take the car back to the dealer - or if the dealer is too far from home, at least call them up and see if they could recommend a garage closer to home for basic maintenance, preferably a facility that has experience in European cars like BMWs and such.

Best,

Spridget

Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
OP:

I believe you are using the terms maintenance and warranty interchangably and that may be confusing you. On the MINI they are two seperate things.

Your car comes with x time of 'pre-paid' maintenance (I'll not call it free) which covers routine consumable items like: oil/fluids, filters, wiper blades, brake pads and rotors etc. (but not tires and not the clutch)

AND your car has a "bumper to bumper" warranty which covers defects. If the power windows stop working they are repaired under the warranty. The warranty period is much longer but does not cover anything deamed normal wear and tear. While out of maintenance coverage but still under warranty you no longer get brake pads replaced for free.

You can purchase extended maintenace plans AND you can buy extended warranty but they ARE two seperate things . . .

That is, buying an extended warranty will not pre-pay additional maintenance; and vise verse.

Just trying to avoid a WT* down the road should you buy one and thought you bought the other....

Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There's really not all that much routine maintenance required on these cars, enough so that if you really didn't want to go to the dealership or it was inconvenient there's no reason a good independent shop can't handle the usual stuff like oil changes and brake pads and such. That said, since it's fairly infrequent, why not just budget for it and take it where they know the car the best - the dealer? After all, where did we all buy our new MINIs? Don't we want them to be there - in business - when we're ready for the next one? Then they need to make a living too....

I would not take it to the local oil change place, there have been too many heartache stories on every car forum out there for every car brand out there about those places.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Here's a list of independent shops in North America by state and city that I have been collecting for the past few years. This list evolved from a concern about after warranty cost of service and service availability. The NYC and NJ area has a number of shops that might be helpful. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:00 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, I would just find a well-reviewed indy Euro shop (Yelp.com is good if you live in an urban area). When I lived in the SF Bay area I found a good one that way.

Most stuff though we do ourselves - oil changes, brakes, etc.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
OP:

I believe you are using the terms maintenance and warranty interchangably and that may be confusing you. On the MINI they are two seperate things.

Your car comes with x time of 'pre-paid' maintenance (I'll not call it free) which covers routine consumable items like: oil/fluids, filters, wiper blades, brake pads and rotors etc. (but not tires and not the clutch)

AND your car has a "bumper to bumper" warranty which covers defects. If the power windows stop working they are repaired under the warranty. The warranty period is much longer but does not cover anything deamed normal wear and tear. While out of maintenance coverage but still under warranty you no longer get brake pads replaced for free.

You can purchase extended maintenace plans AND you can buy extended warranty but they ARE two seperate things . . .

That is, buying an extended warranty will not pre-pay additional maintenance; and vise verse.

Just trying to avoid a WT* down the road should you buy one and thought you bought the other....
I think the clutch is covered. According the the ToS for the extended maint agreement the clutch IS covered. So i am not sure if it is the same thing as the built in 3yr/36k mile maint program.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...act-terms.html

Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
mkortering5
2nd Gear
Confirmed, the clutch is covered.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
plin
1st Gear
Cool, thanks for the replies, and the list of independent shops! I know the dealership has the most expertise, but I'm looking for options in case the dealership quotes me a ridiculous price for an oil change.

I knew I was incorrectly interchanging the terms "warranty" and "maintenance", but I figured I could get my message across better with the term "out of warranty" rather than "out of maintenance contract". I would likely get any repairs done at the same place that performs my maintenance anyway.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Coopercat2
1st Gear
Thank you, Buzz Saw! I found a Mini mechanic right in my own little town. I'll check him out. I'll need new brake pads in a few thousand miles.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Since BMW (more or less) designed the MINIs, chances are that a good BMW mechanic will be at least a decent MINI mechanic.

I have a Bimmer-owning friend who is recommending his mechanic, and that's who I'll likely go to for non-covered maintenance.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Coopercat2
1st Gear
This guy specializes in BMW's and Mini's. So I think I'm good and I found some good reviews. BTW, just put 4 new non-runflats on my car for $585 out the door. Can already tell it's gonna be a smoother ride.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Here's a list of independent shops in North America by state and city that I have been collecting for the past few years. This list evolved from a concern about after warranty cost of service and service availability. The NYC and NJ area has a number of shops that might be helpful. Good luck.
Thanks so much for that list!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
I've gone to a ten minute lube place (The Lube Center) but I know the guys there and they're good. They won't BS about what they know and don't know.

I took it to Jiffy Lube once, and they looked at it like they'd never seen one before. They popped open the hood and four - FOUR! - guys stood there looking at it and trying to figure out whether they could change the oil or not. I should have backed out and gone somewhere else, but, damnit, I was on a mission. Took their time doing it, and seemed to be confused. When I got home, I woke up to an oil puddle in my driveway. They hadn't adequately tightened the drain plug. They got an angry letter, to which they responded by sending me a $10 coupon off future bad service.

Maybe if I was in Montana, I'd understand. This was a few miles down the road from Otto's Mini. Several MINIs passed while these Bozos were staring at my car's engine.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:52 AM
leco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral G
Thanks so much for that list!
Agreed, thanks so much! I found a shop a mere 15 minutes from my place!

Percy