R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Guess I'm committed now...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess I'm committed now...

I've been going back and forth about buying a dedicated track car. I still may do so but I've decided for now I'm going to add a few things to mine.

Fellow member M3This sold me his rollcage with rearseat delete. I've decided to buy it, cut it up and finish the chromemoly with some of my own to make the rear bars go over the rear seat.

I will install a removable crossbar so I can still use the back seat if I have to. I wanted to put a cage in the car but I want to have my cake and eat it too. (still want to have a rear seat if need be)

So here's the commitment part... I'm not only going to have to buy another carpet to have as a spare (so I can replace it if I sell the car) but now if I have a cage, I'll want new harnesses which means the correct seats.

THUS, here comes a set of JCW seats. I hate to dish out almost 4K for seats but it's the only way I can use bucket seats that utilizes a race harness and still keep my heat and airbags.

So, it looks like I'll be keeping the mini for a looong time....lol.

Mark

Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you looked at Corbeau, Sparco, or other Recaros?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Have you looked at Corbeau, Sparco, or other Recaros?
I would but the only way I would do that is if I can keep the heated seats and airbags. I don't know of any other seat manufacturers that do that.

Mark

Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet! I wish I could get some recaros for my MINI. Maybe someday I can make it to Roebling to see you and Lyndon tear the track up!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
I don't think that you can keep the heated in the JCW Recaros. Same with the Airbags. But I heard from a PitStop Mini Club member that someone out there knows how to bipass the sensor for the airbags. Don't remember who though

Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by C H I C K L E T
Sweet! I wish I could get some recaros for my MINI. Maybe someday I can make it to Roebling to see you and Lyndon tear the track up!

Absolutely.... come on down.

You'll have to ride with Lyndon though. If you ride with me, you'll never see him again... I have no rearview mirror.

Seriously, come on down, it's a blast and everyone is cool as hell. Other than ribbing, all egos are checked at the gate.

Mark

Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I don't think that you can keep the heated in the JCW Recaros. Same with the Airbags. But I heard from a PitStop Mini Club member that someone out there knows how to bipass the sensor for the airbags. Don't remember who though

Yeah, I verified with a dealer in England that the seats are plug and play and come with both heat and airbags.

(here's his response)

Hi Mark

Yes there are plug and play. The heating element will only work if you had heated seats before though

The airbag wiring simply plugs in though

Best Regards

Martin

Mark

Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Hmmm so why was everyone saying that there wasn't a hook up for them

Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Hmmm so why was everyone saying that there wasn't a hook up for them
Not sure... In previous conversations, he said he sells the Recaros all the time and they all are plug and play.

I hate dumping that kind of money into just seats but I don't see any other alternatives.

Mark

Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
From what I have read it is the weight sensor in the passengers seat that is the problem. You have to take it out of your current seat or cut the plug or something like that.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/ try this. Also I am not sure what VAT means? Conversion is about $1600 a seat for the Alacantra ones. $1500 for the leathers. I would get Alacantra because it would match the shift boots and steering wheel I have and is a little easier to clean.
NVM on VAT here is link for that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax

Last edited by Porthos; 05-26-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/ try this. Also I am not sure what VAT means? Conversion is about $1600 a seat for the Alacantra ones. $1500 for the leathers. I would get Alacantra because it would match the shift boots and steering wheel I have and is a little easier to clean.
That's where Martin sent me the email from.

Here's the deal...

BM52.10.0.446.774JCW Sports Seat Left Side - Alcantara - R561£947.66£947.66BM52.10.0.446.775JCW Sports Seat Right Side - Alcantara - R561£947.66£947.66Subtotal£1,895.32Shipping (DHL 1-4 Day Air Express)£568.00Total£2,463.32

Convert that to US dollar and we're looking at $3548.... not quite 4K but close enough. By the time you add harnesses and the cage, I'm there.

Oh well....

Mark

Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
BTW look at these http://media.photobucket.com/image/jcw%20recaro%20seats/bond1012002/129_2922.jpg
Oh and don't forget that they are meant for RHD MINIs so the passenger seat is acctually the drivers seat and vice versa

Old 05-26-2010, 07:41 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
BTW look at these http://media.photobucket.com/image/jcw%20recaro%20seats/bond1012002/129_2922.jpg
Oh and don't forget that they are meant for RHD MINIs so the passenger seat is acctually the drivers seat and vice versa

Good point... never thought of that but it shouldn't make a difference because the airbag is still on the "outside" of the seat.

Just out of curiousity, where the hell do the airbags go?

Mark

Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
I don't think they have airbags in the seats like the reg sport seats

Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Where's Stevie B when you need him?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Good point... never thought of that but it shouldn't make a difference because the airbag is still on the "outside" of the seat.

Just out of curiousity, where the hell do the airbags go?

Mark
That plastic bulge on the torso section side of the seat is the airbag, if that's what you're asking.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Mark, looks like you're going to have an even sweeter Mini when you're done .

Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are putting in a cage then I wouldn't sweat the seat airbags. You still have curtains. And I will not even comment on heated seats. Do you use a lot of skin care products?

You should look at leaving the stock passenger seat and going with a fixed-back driver seat. Just make sure you try a bunch on and pick one that fits you. Don't know how big you are but the Sportsters pictured above are pretty wide - probably ok if you have a 36+" waist but too loose for anyone smaller.

Sparco Evo is a really nice fixed back option as it is reasonably easy to get in and out of for daily driving and comes in 3 different sizes so you can find a good tight fit. Another cool thing about them is the cover is easily and cheaply replaced if it gets worn. I ran an Evo for a few years in my R53 and loved it on the commute and the track.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:31 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
Mark, looks like you're going to have an even sweeter Mini when you're done .

David,

Thanks bud, trying..... it's hard to keep up with you guys.

Originally Posted by tazio
If you are putting in a cage then I wouldn't sweat the seat airbags. You still have curtains. And I will not even comment on heated seats. Do you use a lot of skin care products?
haha...

No, no skin care products, just preparation H under the eyes...

No, seriously, you're crazy, I LOVE my heated seats in the winter. They're going with me if I have to run an extension cord...

You should look at leaving the stock passenger seat and going with a fixed-back driver seat. Just make sure you try a bunch on and pick one that fits you. Don't know how big you are but the Sportsters pictured above are pretty wide - probably ok if you have a 36+" waist but too loose for anyone smaller.
I'm a smaller guy, my waist is 32" so those seats may be a little large but I found a website last night that sells Recaro's in an OEM form, model specific. They look more like what would come in a lambo or an ultra high sports mercedes.

I actually like that idea rather than the JCW recaros but only if I can keep the heat and airbags.

It's not that I have to have the heat and airbags, I'm trying to not turn the car into a track car cause next thing, I'll start ripping out interior parts...lol.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Link to website?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Orange:

Forgive me if it's been discussed, but I don't think that those JCW Sparco (Milanos) have the bag in them. We have a customer with them in the car and they look exactly like the Milanos--there's no obvious airbag placement They may have the connector which attaches to a resistor so as not to set the airbag light. Also, if safety is a concern, a cage for a daily driver is not a good idea, unless you wear a helmet while driving (it's a good look on public roads). Even if it's just a bar you are talking about and not a cage, you risk smashing your head against bare metal in a big accident.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Do you know who might make that resitor?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
4K for seats. Say that out loud orange...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Ya also when I did the conversion for them I was not figuring in shipping and I got like $3200 and I figured it would be about $400 to $500 for shipping. If you are willing to spend that much go for it. If I get them I am getting Alacantra to match my interior but if I were taking it to the track I would get leather because it would last a little bit longer under hard abuse.

Quick Reply: R56 Guess I'm committed now...