R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2010 new purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:43 PM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 new purchase questions

First, I want to say thanks. I am sure you guys get these questions all of the time.

I think I have done a fair amount of research, but I have a few questions. Basically, I am on the verge of buying a new base model Cooper. No turbos or sport/premium packages for me. Only a manual transmissions base model car with maybe a cold weather package, maybe.

My main question is: What VIN range or build date should I look for to be safe from the timing chain tensioner issues?

If you were buying a 2010 today, is there something else you would look for in terms of problems to avoid?

I am excited to soon be in the club!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were buying a 2010 I would go 6 speed manual as you indicated. I would get the Harmon Kardon audio upgrade as it (unlike the '07-'09 Hifi upgrade) is getting good reviews.

I will never order a car without heated seats and I live in Atlanta. The MINI heated seats are typical BMW - fast warm up.

I don't think the non-turbo MINI engines have the chain tensioner issue.

My MINI is the most fun car I have owned in 30+ years of driving

Take the plunge and join us!!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The '11 models with refreshed motors will be out in September. Since it's that close, I'd hold off.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
If I were buying a 2010 I would go 6 speed manual as you indicated. I would get the Harmon Kardon audio upgrade as it (unlike the '07-'09 Hifi upgrade) is getting good reviews.

I will never order a car without heated seats and I live in Atlanta. The MINI heated seats are typical BMW - fast warm up.

I don't think the non-turbo MINI engines have the chain tensioner issue.

My MINI is the most fun car I have owned in 30+ years of driving

Take the plunge and join us!!
man I guess I am in the same boat as op. Planning to get a mini to replace my dying prelude.. Planning to get cooper clubman.. Haven't decided to go with or without s because I read about so many issue with engine, tension, or whatever.. So if the s has the issue like you've mentioned, I'll get the clubman for sure.. But maybe wait for new engine

Old 05-04-2010, 05:41 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
base Cooper engines have Valvetronic, and have never had issues with the timing chain tensioner. that's a problem unique to the turbo'd cars.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 AM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
Excellent news! Since I am not looking at the S models, I don't have to worry about timing chain issues. Now, does the NA engine have a TC or TB, I guess thats a good question.

Also, can I confirm, is Pepper White a metallic color?

Thanks again for the replies!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM
amberback
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jujucooper
Excellent news! Since I am not looking at the S models, I don't have to worry about timing chain issues. Now, does the NA engine have a TC or TB, I guess thats a good question.

Also, can I confirm, is Pepper White a metallic color?

Thanks again for the replies!
Pepper White is NOT metallic. However, it is a beautiful color and looks awesome with black roof/mirrors/stripes. It'd probably have been my choice if I wasn't able to get Oxygen Blue.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 AM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Why isn't the laser blue color available for the cooper? =(

Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
Looking at sparkling silver, pepper white, and horizon blue. I like the white, just wish it was a metallic color. I am not easy on my paint finishes and metallics hide damage better, I think. But that white is nice....its borderline "milk"...its not blinding white. The white and the silver could almost be called....dare I say this on a Mini site.....elegant!

I will definitely post if I get one.

I was reading more in here and it turns out the new engines aren't coming out at all for 2010, so my MC (if I pull the trigger) will have the old engine. Trying to confirm - the base engines don't have any problems like leaky valve covers or chain tensioners, right?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 AM
amberback
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jujucooper
Looking at sparkling silver, pepper white, and horizon blue. I like the white, just wish it was a metallic color. I am not easy on my paint finishes and metallics hide damage better, I think. But that white is nice....its borderline "milk"...its not blinding white. The white and the silver could almost be called....dare I say this on a Mini site.....elegant!

I will definitely post if I get one.

I was reading more in here and it turns out the new engines aren't coming out at all for 2010, so my MC (if I pull the trigger) will have the old engine. Trying to confirm - the base engines don't have any problems like leaky valve covers or chain tensioners, right?
Metallics might hide slight damage a little better... but they're slightly harder to match for repairs/touch ups because the flakes don't always lay the same way depending on how it's applied.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Hopefully the '11s will offer more exciting colors. What's with all the different shades of grey? Oxy Blue or something closer to the old Mellow Yellow for me. I'm having a middle age crisis and need to be noticed!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 AM
amberback
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gluhwein
Hopefully the '11s will offer more exciting colors. What's with all the different shades of grey? Oxy Blue or something closer to the old Mellow Yellow for me. I'm having a middle age crisis and need to be noticed!
Oxy Blue was discontinued in March (I got one of the last ones!) and was recently replaced by Interchange Yellow. The Countryman coming out next year is getting the Oxy Blue (by a different name, but very similar color i was told).

2011 Colors are an updated metallic grey, new british racing green, and spice orange. http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/03/...rs-a-new-look/ (I'm not sure if they'll be MCS or MC exclusive?)

Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Originally Posted by amberback
Oxy Blue was discontinued in March (I got one of the last ones!) and was recently replaced by Interchange Yellow. The Countryman coming out next year is getting the Oxy Blue (by a different name, but very similar color i was told).

2011 Colors are an updated metallic grey, new british racing green, and spice orange. http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/03/...rs-a-new-look/ (I'm not sure if they'll be MCS or MC exclusive?)
Hi All,
Is the 2011 considered as a 3rd gen mini or still 2nd gen with some refresh?
If it's just a minor exterior refresh, I think I would save quite a bit with buying a 2010 to save some money.. is that true?

Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
The 2011 will just be a mild refresh from what I understand. The updated engines will be in along with possibly some interior tweaks.

I think the 3rd gen coupe is supposed to come in for the 2013 model year?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM
j1huynh
1st Gear
Okay thanks!! Man, in that case. it's even harder to decide.
I want to know the mild refresh.. arg.. I thought it's supposed to be out for Europe already.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 PM
amberback
5th Gear
Originally Posted by j1huynh
Okay thanks!! Man, in that case. it's even harder to decide.
I want to know the mild refresh.. arg.. I thought it's supposed to be out for Europe already.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/03/...rs-a-new-look/

Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Congratulations juju! It's a great little car, even with few add-ons, I think you'll love it!

I have not personally had this problem, but several on here have. There is some incidence of premature clutch failure on some MINIs. (If you do a search here, you'll find several threads about it.) Based on what I've read on NAM, I now use the clutch very 'sparingly', and do not keep it depressed if I'm going to be stopped / idling for more than about 10 seconds. I've driven manual transmissions for 35 years and the MINI is the first vehicle where I've heard of this issue, but that could just be me. Again, I have not personally had the problem; I just don't want to!

I don't say this to scare you off, or to suggest that you will have a problem. It has nothing to do with your order, but it's just a heads-up to have you stay on the safe side.

I've had nothing but fun in my '08 MINI and now it has over 38,000 miles on it! Hopefully your experience will be equally fun!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's my car in all Pepper White. I like a lot of the color options and had a hard time settling on this, but in the end, practicality was a factor, and PW just makes sense for here in the desert, where we routinely have 100+ days of 100+ temps every year. It's also very dusty here, and PW doesn't show dirt or dust nearly as quickly as a darker color. I also ordered the factory aero kit to complete the monochrome scheme. Toss on an H&R cup kit, some BBS LM's with non-runflat tires, and you have a very handsome boy indeed. The color is affected here due to being snapped near sunset.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 AM
rexracerx9
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KevinC
Here's my car in all Pepper White. I like a lot of the color options and had a hard time settling on this, but in the end, practicality was a factor, and PW just makes sense for here in the desert, where we routinely have 100+ days of 100+ temps every year. It's also very dusty here, and PW doesn't show dirt or dust nearly as quickly as a darker color. I also ordered the factory aero kit to complete the monochrome scheme. Toss on an H&R cup kit, some BBS LM's with non-runflat tires, and you have a very handsome boy indeed. The color is affected here due to being snapped near sunset.

I love the way your car looks!

Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 AM
luthientier
2nd Gear
so, by looking at that website, are they saying that the 2010 minis as of march are having the new engine? I'm a little confused by the wording. or is it only going to be available for the 2011 models?