R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 BMW/MINI TIS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
BamaCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW/MINI TIS

Has anyone purchased a subcription (24 hour or more) to BMW/MINI TIS, located at http://www.bmwtis.com/? Does anyone know if you can print out the articles/instructions? If so, it may be time to spend a day at the office with the copy machine.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I don't have direct experience with the website, only what I've read about from others, however...

What kind of project are you planning on, and what information are you after? If you don't already have it, start with a BMW TIS disc from eBay (some NAM members have also offered to make copies). The TIS disc has instructions for assembling and disassembling the car. The bmwtis website includes topics and information beyond the TIS disc, but if you already have the disc at least you could make better use of your online subscription time.

As for printing from the website, I've heard that you can, and the website also has downloadable pdf documents. If you do print, print to pdf files instead of hardcopy for computer access and searchability. If you don't have the full Adobe Acrobat product, use free software such as CutePDF.

The following users liked this post:
JeffInDFW (03-22-2023)
Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM
BamaCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW/TIS

In sipite of my signature, I now have a 2009 JCW MINI. I have the Bently manual for my '04. From what I've seen on eBay, they're aren't any TIS auctions for my month/year yet. Just thought I'd get a jump on the TIS until a later version is available. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Don't worry about TIS disc for a specific month and year. If it includes even 2007 R56, the instructions will be the same for almost all of a factory JCW. The TIS disc covers assembly and disassembly. For a factory JCW, I can only think of instructions for Brembo brakes being different.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have a pm BamaCooper

Old 07-22-2017, 09:07 AM
the_dude_abides
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BamaCooperS
Has anyone purchased a subcription (24 hour or more) to BMW/MINI TIS, located at http://www.bmwtis.com/? Does anyone know if you can print out the articles/instructions? If so, it may be time to spend a day at the office with the copy machine.
I bought 24hr access yesterday and grabbed everything I could. You can print but since I'm on a mac, I printed to PDF for later reference. Unfortunately today (about 12 hours later) I cannot sign in to the site, so it appears to be "24 hour" access is really midnight -> midnight, or something.

I may shell out another $30 to get everything else I saw that I wanted, but let me assure you they cover ALL the details on maintenance/repair work everything from torque amounts on nuts and bolts to common maintenance items to engine disassembly. I was able to get most of what I needed in about an hour's time.

The way it works is you put in your VIN and get vehicle-specific instructions for all sorts of categories (as I said, Maintenance, Service, and also TSBs, torque specs, even body repair and glass replacement, basically everything your Mini dealer tech might refer to).

Compared to the Bentley manual on Amazon @ $100 this is kind of a bargain.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
at the moment it's all free https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ which is more of a bargain.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:04 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
at the moment it's all free https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ which is more of a bargain.
That's where people should go first, and it will serve most needs. It isn't as complete as the official bmwtis website, which may still be needed in some cases.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:08 PM
the_dude_abides
1st Gear
Sweet, but I tried to wget the whole site and they blocked me.

Oops. Also how do they get away with this? It's a hosted copy of data you're not supposed to copy without paying for, AND they serve ads. Honestly I'd rather just pay the $30 and get it legitimately.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by the_dude_abides
Sweet, but I tried to wget the whole site and they blocked me.

Oops. Also how do they get away with this? It's a hosted copy of data you're not supposed to copy without paying for, AND they serve ads. Honestly I'd rather just pay the $30 and get it legitimately.
No idea if it is legit or not. Don't get any ads. How would you get the whole site? I just snagged a few pages I was interested in.

$30 is a great deal if you can download everything pretty easily. I've got no problem paying but at this point still under warranty don't see the need for me.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:27 PM
the_dude_abides
1st Gear
No idea if it is legit or not. Don't get any ads. How would you get the whole site? I just snagged a few pages I was interested in.

$30 is a great deal if you can download everything pretty easily. I've got no problem paying but at this point still under warranty don't see the need for me.
It's not very easy, the mini tis site screws up a lot and loses your session, and you have to print to PDF to make it "easy". newtis.info has simply downloaded everything verbatim as HTML and published it on their own domain/servers.

Strictly speaking, it's against the TOS of the mini tis site, but they only say your account will be closed/you'll lose your money, so I guess they don't really pursue you if you publish the data you collect from them. These guys running newtis.info are definitely profiting from the ads whilst serving copyrighted materials (ad blocker does work though so maybe that's why you don't see them). Shady af. And their little bot detector they have in place, lmao.

Whatever, we got more important problems in this country than this right now. And in any case, thanks for the link because people like me who paid for the content in the first place need SOME way to get it right? And no I aint judging anyone else who uses it... just the newtis publishers.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:52 PM
the_dude_abides
1st Gear
Oh and to answer your question: one way to grab an entire site and all of its assets (like images, scripts, and the like) is to use a command-line app like 'wget'. It can recursively crawl a site and save everything so you can browse it offline (or in a malicious use case, re-publish it as they have done on newtis).

Obviously they have setup some minor safeguards to prevent people from doing what they themselves did to bmwtis. (bot detection and IP banning)

Old 07-26-2017, 08:21 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
wow. Thank you for this... I have been looking for AGES for the rear hatch adjustment procedure for my R58... Bentley doesn't have it! I'm thinking of it as kind of a preview, maybe. Major stuff I'd pay for.