R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Suspension: Cooper vs Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension: Cooper vs Cooper S

Ok...I dropped Winston (Cooper S) off at Concord Mini and they gave me a regular Cooper. Key chain says 2003, but I suspect 2007/08. (Past two times I got a Z4 and a 1 Series Convertible...so I was a little disapointed.

I figured it wouldn't drive as well, and would be disappointed with it. Low and behold, I was pleasantly surprised. The ride was smoother, and didn't seem to get bothered by the bumps as much as my car. My car would be bumped off line when I do fast lane changes, and I could feel the understeer in the turns. Not so with the Cooper I drove it pretty hard, but I have to say a much smoother ride overall.

Winston is an S with non-sport suspension, but with upgraded 17 inch run flat performance tires. As far as I can tell on the loaner it has regular 16 inch run flat tires made by Goodyear.

Anyone care to explain? Cause the loaner felt way more like a go-kart, and seemed to not push as much through the turns.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
I currently own a PS/B 2008 MC.

16 inch tires on the Cooper absorb more impact. More rubber, less rim.

The suspension on the Cooper S is stiffer. I am not sure how much stiffer, but my guess would be 10 - 20% depending on whether it is the stock MCS suspension or the sport package suspension (even stiffer!)

Not pushing through the turns? -- that has to be a hp/torque related thing. I love my MC. I do a lot of highway driving now for work though, and it doesn't inspire confidence with the faster moving vehicles.

Still-- a great car.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
I thought both suspensions were the same base Cooper vs. Cooper s. I have the stock Cooper S suspension.

I suspect the tires are a big factor as well. I must say the regular stock suspension on the Cooper is a better daily driver type suspension. But the power is consdierably down on the regular Cooper. I had to downshift to 3rd to get any type of passing power.

Anyone know for sure if the base cooper and base coopper s have different suspensions?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
I think they might be a little different, the part numbers for the lowering springs are different based on the model at least. I think the sway bar rates are different too. The tire size probably has a lot to do with it though. As said before "More rubber, less rim."

Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
Also they ain't runflats on the MC, right?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Ok...that makes a little more sense GW. Intersting how detailed the spring rates and sway bars are for each model? Someone put a lot of thought into suspension geometry for these cars.

Can anyone comment on the ride difference when I switch to non-run flats?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluemeanie357
Also they ain't runflats on the MC, right?
Not sure...i only glanced at them. Aren't they standard on all Coopers?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 AM
ellinara
4th Gear
From what I've heard the non-run flats are smoother but again, it depends on the size of your wheel and your suspension.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 AM
glangford
6th Gear
The MC standard tire size is a 15" non runflat. If you order 16" tires with your mini, from the factory you'll get runflats.

Most people with MCS who switch out the tires to a non-runflat version for 16" or 17" report a better ride.

I personally love my 15" continental all season tires. They are great and the car handles great.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
The MC standard tire size is a 15" non runflat. If you order 16" tires with your mini, from the factory you'll get runflats.

Most people with MCS who switch out the tires to a non-runflat version for 16" or 17" report a better ride.

I personally love my 15" continental all season tires. They are great and the car handles great.
In Canada (and the USA?) if a car is not sold with a spare tire it is the law that the car must be sold with runflat tires.

I have never seen a MC in Canada with NON runflat tires. I think there is a base model called the MC Classic which has regular tires. The car is only available in 3 colours though.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:58 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ride quality on non-sport 16" RF MCS is much better than 17" RF. Before I test drove both version I was sold on 17" look, but 17" is really bouncy/hard on anything less than smooth surface, and the chassis feels less stable and less composed despite having "grippy" performance tires.

For me, 16" RF MCS's ride quality is similar to a GTI with 18" Monza wheel non-RF.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:07 PM
kavatski
3rd Gear
The situation is a little different in Canada. Here you can get the MC with 15, 16, or 17" tires from the factory. I believe in the US it's 15" or 16" only. My MC has the Sport package with 17" runflats and it has the firmer ride that goes with them.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:08 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I say the difference you notice in the ride/handling is due to the different tires, not the swaybars or springs. I wore out my 17" Dunlap Sport RF tires and went with Bridgestone non-RFs and the ride difference is dramatic, especially the "bump steer" factor that you desribed in your first post.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nickminir56
The ride quality on non-sport 16" RF MCS is much better than 17" RF. Before I test drove both version I was sold on 17" look, but 17" is really bouncy/hard on anything less than smooth surface, and the chassis feels less stable and less composed despite having "grippy" performance tires.

For me, 16" RF MCS's ride quality is similar to a GTI with 18" Monza wheel non-RF.
OK SO I'M NOT CRAZY...

I WONDER HOW OUR CARS WOULD RUN WITH NON-RF 16'S? I BELIEVE AUTOX'ERS RUN'EM THAT WAY.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I say the difference you notice in the ride/handling is due to the different tires, not the swaybars or springs. I wore out my 17" Dunlap Sport RF tires and went with Bridgestone non-RFs and the ride difference is dramatic, especially the "bump steer" factor that you desribed in your first post.
I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS. REALLY AM!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
We've got an MC and an MCS, they both have sport suspension and 16" wheels with real tires (not run flats). The suspensions are pretty equivalent, the MCS is corners slightly faster if you really push it. I didn't get the 17" wheels as they seem to ride quite harshly when I've ridden on them.

The biggest difference you can make to the ride and to the handling is the individual tire model you have. Runflats tend to have a harsher ride, but the latest set I got with Shawn seemed to ride quite well (for the 10 miles to the tire shop). The ride difference between the Goodyear GS-D3s and the Yoko S.drives I have on the two currently is quite pronounced. The S.drives are much smoother.

The tires could well explain the differences, some tires just suck. I'd also wonder if the MC had the sport suspension from your description.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:39 PM
CaptainCradicles
2nd Gear
I have a MINI Cooper Classic and it comes with the 15" wheels and no run flats. Thank god! The ride is nice and I wouldn't go to anything bigger than a 16" lightweight wheel. It makes a big difference in acceleration between tire sizes and weights. A 17" wheel does look the biz though.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:51 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CaptainCradicles
I have a MINI Cooper Classic and it comes with the 15" wheels and no run flats. Thank god! The ride is nice and I wouldn't go to anything bigger than a 16" lightweight wheel. It makes a big difference in acceleration between tire sizes and weights. A 17" wheel does look the biz though.
I hear ya, I installed the summer wheels and tires on my '04 Cooper Classic, the 16" OEM X-lites. They look great, more aggressive appearance over the 15" holies, but feel heavier and a little sluggish, even without runflats.
Keep it light with Coopers!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Well, if you have a non-sport suspension and the loaner did, it wouldn't surprise me that you had less understeer. The MC with sport suspension and non-runflat tires would be a cornering and comfort king over a MCS with standard suspension and runflats.

Easier to corner is due to less power. I remember my 1992 Protege with tires meant for significantly more powerful vehicles and I could floor it through any corner! 90whp just doesn't stress your tires that much... but it sure was fun! But option for option, the MC and MCS should handle almost the same.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:30 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
FWIR the sport suspensions are the same regardless of if it is an MC or MCS.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Carlisle
In Canada (and the USA?) if a car is not sold with a spare tire it is the law that the car must be sold with runflat tires.

I have never seen a MC in Canada with NON runflat tires. I think there is a base model called the MC Classic which has regular tires. The car is only available in 3 colours though.
Chrysler Crossfires are sold with non-runflats and have no spare... just a can of fix-a-flat. Not sure if that has changed since '04-'05 (the year of my in-laws' Crossfire), or if it's not "the law" here.

With regard to MINI's, mine has a spare AND came with runflats

Old 05-23-2009, 11:37 AM
mattj98
Neutral
Guys,

I just took delivery of my 2009 MCS last night. I love the car but the factory sport suspension on 17" wheels is just way too harsh for me . Question to all 2009 Cooper S owners with SS, what did you do to improve the ride of your car? I'm thinking about ditching the Runflats and just get a set of all season tires, is this a good idea? I would surely appreciate your suggestions.. -Thanks

Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
carsncars
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Blainestang
Chrysler Crossfires are sold with non-runflats and have no spare... just a can of fix-a-flat. Not sure if that has changed since '04-'05 (the year of my in-laws' Crossfire), or if it's not "the law" here.
The '09 Honda Fit, when equipped with an automatic, has non-RF tires but no spare. It comes with a tire inflation "kit" instead (sealant, pump). At least I know it does in Canada.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattj98
I'm thinking about ditching the Runflats and just get a set of all season tires, is this a good idea?
In Burbank you could easily get away with summer tires rather than all seasons. A lot of people do get rid of the runflats, you should carry a compressor, a can of fix-a-flat and a cellphone just in case.

For the best ride so far a set of Yokohama S.drives or Michelin PE2s are pretty good.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 AM
mattj98
Neutral
Thanks Btwyx, I'll just get the Yokohama summer tires..I'm heading to Costco to get a set .

Quick Reply: R56 Suspension: Cooper vs Cooper S