R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Not sure I made the right move with the MINI!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM
KyleE
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure I made the right move with the MINI!

Back in August I purchased a new 08' MiniS for daily driving from NJ to NY (46 miles each way). The NY traffic is more than I expected it to be, and my commute is 1.5-2 hours on a daily basis EACH WAY. I like the car, but I am getting pretty tired of the 6 speed in NY traffic and the lack of comfort on the LONG trips.

I am coming from an E46 M3, and then a 645CI convertible. Now, I am eye balling some sort of Mercedes as a Mini replacement.

I like the practicality of the Mini (gas and price). How can I talk myself out of selling it?! Or, if selling is the best option, I want to lease some sort of MB (I bought the mini, but with 25k miles/year, i figure it won't be worth much if anything in a few years, so I want to lease now). So then I run into my next problem of finding a lease on something nice and luxurious, but not boring, that I can get with 25k miles/year, that is also relatively decent on gas.

Guys, I'm all messed up....Please HELP!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 PM
AkFarina
Banned
why don't you trade it in for a auto?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
While the Mini is a great car, it is certainly not for everyone. I have a similar commute and would hate it if I had an automatic. City traffic is tough, but nothing is better for getting in and out of it than a stick. Then there is parking, etc. Mini has a huge advantage there.

The big questions is, why are you considering Merc? Short of their Black series and AMG, they continue to trail BMW and even Audi in terms of quality, reliability, innovation, and in my view looks. In addition, their resale is amongst the worse in their class, so racking up the miles on it like you plan on doing, just does not seem like a good idea. Plus, how are you going to get a 25k mile a year lease on a Merc? They do offer a refined ride, just not sure a Merc would be the car I would jump out of a Mini for. Then again, it is a personal preference and many people like Merc.

If you want more space and a more refined ride, there are many options for you that are relatively affordable to purchase, especially if you are willing to go a year or two old, including Mercs.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:47 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 297 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by KyleE

keep the Mini

start planning to change the COMMUTE!

i know there are some nice drives in NJ...

is there no tele-commuting option in your profession?

you are sounding all grown up - don't go and get too responsible now...

spring is coming fast...

Old 04-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I do the reverse commute. Leave Hoboken @ 7am and head into beren county and head back to Hoboken @ 4pm. Mini makes me a ninja at parking in hoboken.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the ride is harsh, or getting harsh, and it's the same roads every day, mix up the drive a bit. Also, lower your pressure on run flats by about 4lbs each tire, and you might find an easier on the butt ride. I did. I have sport suspension too, so it can be jarring with fully inflated run craps, er, us flats.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
If the ride is harsh, or getting harsh, and it's the same roads every day, mix up the drive a bit. Also, lower your pressure on run flats by about 4lbs each tire, and you might find an easier on the butt ride. I did. I have sport suspension too, so it can be jarring with fully inflated run craps, er, us flats.

I have about 4 different routes to get home and mix it up constantly. The mini is a fun car to drive!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can see you wanting to move up in luxury, but as Parker said, why an MB, (unless your talking an S) it's just a dressed up Chrysler now, I'd go Audi or BMW first.

I love my MCS for my commute (also NYC, but only 30-45 min), but I gave up on MT's a long time ago, just not meant for our traffic. I remember coming home and my leg would be numb. That being said the MCS could not be my only car, I have my Audi allroad for the long trips with the family.

If your looking at the best of both worlds though I would take a look at an Audi A3, DSG is better than any MT for any circumstance, gas milage is good (not as good as the MCS), handling is good (again not as good as MCS), interior is great (better than BMW and MB), and the 2.0T is a nice engine, and its still a decent size for parking. I owned one prior to my MCS and allroad, and if I had to only have one car to fit my needs that would be the only match.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 PM
KyleE
Neutral
Good points guys. My new office is in Long Island, NY (Glen Cove) and my home is in Wayne, NJ. It is only 40+ miles away, but crossing the GWB and then the Throgs Neck Bridge are horrific in the morning and afternoon traffic!

While I do find the MCS to be GREAT for short zips around town and to park in NYC, I just can't get into loving it for the looooong straight drives to and from Long Island everyday.

The main reason I was looking at the Merc is because I can get a VERY low mileage 07 CLS63 AMG for around $50ish. While it isn't great on gas, it is over 20 so I'd be happy, especially with all that power on tap :-)

I had a 2004 M3 which I absolutely LOVED. I test drove the new M3's but wasn't too crazy about them in terms of the upgrade from the E46 and the big price difference.

I'd prefer to lease something. Especially now, dealerships are more than willing to make deals and I've had MB, BMW, and Audi all tell me they will do 25k mile leases for me if I need it. Of course, the price of the lease reflects that. Since this is a daily car, I'd like to stay south of $1k/Month and then haggle the dealer to throw in the 25k miles a year.

A3 is a cool car, but not really diggin the looks. I'd either like a HUGE luxury car (S550 - but leases are like $1900/month for a fully loaded one with 25k miles a year), or some sort of sporty fast performance car while still being comfortable. Also, HAS to be Automatic!

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks again for the posts!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
You are asking for cars that are better than MINIs on a MINI forum? It sounds like you can afford anything you want, so get it.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 PM
russgriz
3rd Gear
+1

Originally Posted by oldsbear
You are asking for cars that are better than MINIs on a MINI forum? It sounds like you can afford anything you want, so get it.
This thread was totally confusing until the above post.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
As AkFarina mentioned, why not a MINI automatic? And a Clubman with its longer wheelbase would add some comfort.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Saw a Volkswagen CC at a car show last weekend, it was nice! Gets 31 mpg on the highway and looks like a MB CLS550. Bet it's comfortable on the highway. I traded my manual 07 MCS for an auto 08 MCS for the same reason, traffic was killing me with the manual. I'm much happier now!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Reza
2nd Gear
Back in August I purchased a new 08' MiniS for daily driving from NJ to NY (46 miles each way). The NY traffic is more than I expected it to be, and my commute is 1.5-2 hours on a daily basis EACH WAY. I like the car, but I am getting pretty tired of the 6 speed in NY traffic and the lack of comfort on the LONG trips.

I am coming from an E46 M3, and then a 645CI convertible. Now, I am eye balling some sort of Mercedes as a Mini replacement.

I like the practicality of the Mini (gas and price). How can I talk myself out of selling it?! Or, if selling is the best option, I want to lease some sort of MB (I bought the mini, but with 25k miles/year, i figure it won't be worth much if anything in a few years, so I want to lease now). So then I run into my next problem of finding a lease on something nice and luxurious, but not boring, that I can get with 25k miles/year, that is also relatively decent on gas.

If you look pass the badge, there is a gem of a car out there called PONTIAC G8 that is very comfortable for commute and the V6 version has decent power and fuel economy. If you need even more power, try the V8 GXP, which has the corvette engine. It's basically a HOLDEN Commodore and made in Australia. Same size as BMW 5 series. GM has a firesale right now with around $8k to $10k discount on them. I test drove it last week and loved it. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Reza; 04-05-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 PM
skerm8
2nd Gear
Hey KyleE :
Changing the MINI out for another car is a person decision. How long have you had it? Why did you get a 6speed? Just wondering...I love my MINI and can't wait to drive it. I have an auto but I am older and have a stick with a beat up truck I drive to work (a whole 1 mile). I cannot imagine what your NY traffic is like, only on CashCab do I see it! I hope you love your MINI alittle. Didn't you fall in love the first time you seen it? Where'd the love go?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here ya go.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 PM
carsncars
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Here ya go.
It's red and it's got a body kit. It must be super fast.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:00 AM
KyleE
Neutral
I love the Mini, but didnt plan on being out at our new NY office as much as I am. I am there 5 days a week to make sure things go smoothly. I bought the Mini planning on commuting to my NJ office. Now, since there is a change of plans, since Feb I have been going to NY everyday and it's taking a toll on me. My other problem is I decked out the Mini with EVERY SINGLE THING POSSIBLE! It was like a $34k car! So, being that I've had it brand new since August and already have over 15k miles on the clock, I would have to pay $$ just to get out of it. Because of the miles I put on it, I depreciate the car faster than I am paying it off :-(

I don't even know what a fully loaded to the top 08 MiniS would go for like 15k miles (and counting every day). Maybe I should just drive it and get something else when I am back into the NJ area more often?

My Audi guy says he can get me a fully loaded 09 S-Line A4 with 25k miles/year for $880/Month on a 3 year lease. I think thats a good deal, but my only issue is having to pay like $10k to sell the mini.

Anyone have any idea what it may be worth? Is it worth it at this point?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're loaded you could just keep it as a second car.
It's always handy to have more cars than drivers [in the household].

Changing out the runflats makes it SIGNIFICANTLY smoother
and more comfortable on the commute.

Also, if you are going to keep commuting so far for a long time
you could consider a disposable car. Say something like
a nicely equipped accord. My sister just bought the one
that is almost identical to the (I forget if it is an infinity or lexus).
She has a longish commute also and really likes it.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Genesis lease is still $399/mo, I'm sure 25k miles would still be under your price cap.

But really - telling us you can afford whatever you want and asking what you should replace your MINI with is a little insulting.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:03 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 297 Likes on 225 Posts
i'm a wee bit disappointed in some posts on this thread

I didn't read KyleE as trying in any sense to rub anyone's nose in affluence

I rather thought that (1) he seems to respect the opinions on the forum, and (2) there seems to be a bit of regret at having to sacrifice some fun for some practicality

KyleE I'd test the waters and see what the market will offer for your Mini - and I'd be startled if you had to eat 10k on the deal

Good luck with it...

Old 04-06-2009, 05:13 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I love the Mini, but didnt plan on being out at our new NY office as much as I am. I am there 5 days a week to make sure things go smoothly. I bought the Mini planning on commuting to my NJ office. Now, since there is a change of plans, since Feb I have been going to NY everyday and it's taking a toll on me. My other problem is I decked out the Mini with EVERY SINGLE THING POSSIBLE! It was like a $34k car! So, being that I've had it brand new since August and already have over 15k miles on the clock, I would have to pay $$ just to get out of it. Because of the miles I put on it, I depreciate the car faster than I am paying it off :-(

I don't even know what a fully loaded to the top 08 MiniS would go for like 15k miles (and counting every day). Maybe I should just drive it and get something else when I am back into the NJ area more often?

My Audi guy says he can get me a fully loaded 09 S-Line A4 with 25k miles/year for $880/Month on a 3 year lease. I think thats a good deal, but my only issue is having to pay like $10k to sell the mini.

Anyone have any idea what it may be worth? Is it worth it at this point?
Sounds to me the problem is more work related.......and may just end up being temporaray one at that. Once the NY office is online and working fine, and you are re-assigned back to the NJ office, you will be kicking yourself for selling the MINI.

Audi.....? wouldn't own one if it was given to me. Black marks all over the place with consumer reports for last 20+years........Plan on it being parked in the dealer repair shop a lot, and yet going on another long unplanned trip..time lost is something you will never be compensated for....

IMO, (if you really think this assignment will end up being be more permanent) Just take a trip to Morristown MINI and trade the MINI in for one with an AUTO-matic transmission.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you should move instead of getting a new car (joking obviously).

Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 AM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Load your iPod with plenty of good music....zone out....and plan out the rest of your life. 1.5 - 2 hours commute each way...every day is not fun or comfortable in any car. I myself enjoy the convenience of an automatic. Lets you use your hand for drinking coffee, etc.. BOL....and please...consider getting back some of that 4 hours per day of your life

Old 04-06-2009, 06:14 AM
OWG
5th Gear
My new office is in Long Island, NY (Glen Cove) and my home is in Wayne, NJ. It is only 40+ miles away, but crossing the GWB and then the Throgs Neck Bridge are horrific in the morning and afternoon traffic!
Kyle,
There is nothing that you can drive that will make that drive any better. It is going to be a grind even if you had someone else do the driving.

So, the real question is, is it worth $10K to have an auto something else? If the assignment is temporary that really shortens the payback period. Shoot for that much money, keep the car and make the commute by boat.

Quick Reply: R56 Not sure I made the right move with the MINI!