R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Any discounts when ordering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any $$$ discounts when ordering?

Heard they were discounting $1,000 on MCs in inventory.

Anyone ordered one lately and had any luck besides MSRP?

Last edited by lawnboy; 01-31-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:52 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got $250 off msrp when I ordered my 09 back in late July, but Im a repeat cusotmer. depending how many dealerships there are in a certain area, rational discounts for ordered cars can stretch to $500. If a poster says they got more off on an ordered car, well, I simply dont believe them, like one clown I called out when he claimed he got $2K off msrp on an ordered car. NF way, man A thou off dealer stock, however, seems to be common, esp. if the car is optioned heavily ($30K +)

Besides, it's a slippery downward slope, resale and residual value-wise, when these cars start being discounted and incentived heavily--like a snowball effect. I know everyone wants a deal, but for sales to stay at or near msrp is a good thing for all MINI owners. And while the dealer markups seem to be going by the wayside, the downside is that these markups helped retain high desirability and resale values. good luck

Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Good point!

Originally Posted by sequence
I got $250 off msrp when I ordered my 09 back in late July, but Im a repeat cusotmer. depending how many dealerships there are in a certain area, rational discounts for ordered cars can stretch to $500. If a poster says they got more off on an ordered car, well, I simply dont believe them, like one clown I called out when he claimed he got $2K off msrp on an ordered car. NF way, man A thou off dealer stock, however, seems to be common, esp. if the car is optioned heavily ($30K +)

Besides, it's a slippery downward slope, resale and residual value-wise, when these cars start being discounted and incentived heavily--like a snowball effect. I know everyone wants a deal, but for sales to stay at or near msrp is a good thing for all MINI owners. And while the dealer markups seem to be going by the wayside, the downside is that these markups helped retain high desirability and resale values. good luck

Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Sully
1st Gear

I hear what you're saying, but I highly doubt that people would rather pay MSRP or more just to help the resale value of their cars. Cars are, and have always been, poor investments. If I could get 2,000 off MSRP, I would take it in a heartbeat and not think twice about it.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sully
If I could get 2,000 off MSRP, I would take it in a heartbeat and not think twice about it.
Good for you, and with dealer stock you may be able to approach that, and more, with a JCW pushing $40K large with a ton of dealer-installed bling, but not for ordered cars, which is what lawnboy inquired about. The reality of the new car purchase milieu is the more they are incentivized and discounted, the overall less value they will retain down the road.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure you won't want to believe me either, but I ordered in July 2008 for $500 off MSRP. And I got free mats and wheel locks upon delivery. No trade. First time Mini purchaser, no other cars bought from dealer.

I am certain I could get $1000 off on an order today from the same dealer, if not somewhat better.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:12 AM
sequence
6th Gear
$500 I can believe no prob, but a thou? Doubtful (at least right now). Besides, I have no idea where y're located; dealership-thin areas of America (RM West, Pac NW, upper mid-west) are less likely to offer steep discounts on ordered cars than the SE, NE, etc. due to lack of competition within a closely defined area.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:15 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$500 I can believe no prob, but a thou? Doubtful (at least right now). Besides, I have no idea where y're located; dealership-thin areas of America (RM West, Pac NW, upper mid-west) are less likely to offer steep discounts on ordered cars than the SE, NE, etc. due to lack of competition within a closely defined area.
I'm in Southern California. And I'm certain that even in the thin dealer areas you can get $1000 off on an ordered car. There is no longer any problem with dealers being limited to only their allocated production slots. Dealers are in business to make money, and only stay in business by making money. Making money requires selling cars. Dealers have to cover the overhead of the dealer ship, and a car sold for $1000 under MSRP makes the dealer more $ than a car not ordered and not sold.

When I bought my car, I was referred by someone who had gotten $1000 off on an ordered car in April / May 2008. I tried to get the same deal. But the sales person (who was the dealership's internet manager) said demand was way up and $500 off was the best he could do. My local (five miles away dealer) insisted on 10% over MSRP -- as they said when I tried to get MSRP to buy from them "why should I sell a car to you when someone else will buy it the price I want to sell it for".

The January 2009 sales numbers will be out early next week for Mini. You will see very soft sales. Better than other car companies in terms of this year vs last year, but you will see that its far from the market of this summer.

If you at all know how to negotiate and buy, 1K off MRSP is a certainty. If the dealer gives you any grief, just tell them you will be back in one to two months looking for a minimum of $1200 or more off. Things are going to be very ugly in the next six months to a year, and screwed up for many years beyond that.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Believe it or not, I WAS offered $1000 off an ordered JCW Clubman a couple of days ago from an out-of state dealer (NE) rather than my local dealer from whom my family and I have purchased 4 new MINIs over the last 6 years. This particular dealer also has a $500, fully refundable deposit (instead of $1,000 NRF) which is really nice since my 2006 MINI isn't sold yet. I am working out the timing before committing to this deal.

For an "in-stock" JCW Clubman sitting on the lot, I have been offered anywhere from MSRP to $1,500 OFF.

I changed my mind from getting an HC JCW Clubman to the new Horizon Blue, so taking one off the lot is pretty much out......

The deals CAN be had right now, folks, you just need to do a little research and legwork

Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 PM
closer88
1st Gear
Hi, everyone, new to posting on this forum but have been reading for a few months. Ordered my 2009 Cooper S a couple of weeks ago. MSRP with California tax and license came out to a little over 31K. Deal was for $700 less than that price. My feeling was that I could have gotten a cool thousand off but it wasn't worth it to me to spend the time haggling. Prior to the negotiations, I made up my mind to get at least $500 off (on principle) since I've never paid MSRP on any car purchased since 1970. So a quick $700 was fine and left the MA and me both happy.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
I got 1000 off MSRP yesterday when I got my first MCS yesterday

Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Tsar,

You didn't specify: you ordered the car or bought it off the lot (and was it new or used?)

Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
So you got $1,000 off on ordering a 2009 MCS correct?

Originally Posted by Tsar
I got 1000 off MSRP yesterday when I got my first MCS yesterday

Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 AM
sequence
6th Gear
who knows, more of the same MTL a dealer-stock discount.

Until somebody posts a bill of sale noting the 1) car was ordered and 2) the discount exceeded $500 under msrp then it's all just heresay.

lawnboy prob just best to do some research, but be forewarned that salespeople will make lofty claims on ordered car discounts to getcha in and attempt to sell you a dealer stock car.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
Tsar,

You didn't specify: you ordered the car or bought it off the lot (and was it new or used?)
Originally Posted by lawnboy
So you got $1,000 off on ordering a 2009 MCS correct?
Well the OP was talking about 1000 off inventory cars. I got 1000 off new (09 MCS) that they had at the dealer. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 AM
closer88
1st Gear
My 09 Pepper White S is built and ready to ship! Will post final price/documents if anyone is interested when car arrives in the East Bay (California). $700 isn't a 1000 but it is a little more than 500 ;>)

Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
agree

which I why I am calling around and email my configuration. If they can beat the price, then they got my business, but will have it in writing before wasting my time.

lawnboy prob just best to do some research, but be forewarned that salespeople will make lofty claims on ordered car discounts to getcha in and attempt to sell you a dealer stock car.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Correction:

OP specified "Anyone ordered one lately and had any luck besides MSRP?"

Why would I care about what someone got of an inventory item when my thread title and description deals with ordering.

Originally Posted by Tsar
Well the OP was talking about 1000 off inventory cars. I got 1000 off new (09 MCS) that they had at the dealer. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:33 PM
mullman
2nd Gear
I could not get a dollar off ordering an '09 Convertible.
I suspect thin allocation on a new model with possible pent up demand, and I expected that.

First time in my life I paid MSRP (always was able to discount ordered BMWs and Mercedes and a dozen other cars).

Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
mullman, the pic in your signature of the new Cabrio is really sweet though. I may go to the config on MINIUSA and build one just for grins...

Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM
MT Don
1st Gear
I see that BMW MINI sales for January '09 are down 15.4% or 2082 autos.
With that kind of performance, the dealears should be willing to offer a discount.

Don

Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MT Don
With that kind of performance, the dealears should be willing to offer a discount.

Don

They only sold 2082 cars this year or they sold 2082 LESS cars this year/Month/quarter?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Down compared to?

Keep in mind too about a year ago how much higher gas prices were and consumers were going with what they see for the moment and had to have a fuel efficient vehicle and nothing else. Let alone need we recall how those with big SUVs were complaining the most about the price of gas.

Months later gas prices fall and once again consumers go with what they see for the moment and pass on fuel economy cars (notice how much hybrid sales have been down too). Problem now is also the credit crunch which is effecting the entire auto industry.

I think the sales for Mini are now just leveling out...checked two dealers in my area and both of them are holding to MSRP only.

Besides Mini sales, any stats on the other automakers?

Well, looks like Jan 09 compared to Jan 08, MINI was nearly best in the industry and Jan 09 sales still exceeded Jan 07 so if MINI was down ONLY 15.5%, seems like it is time to break out the champagne and celebrate

Originally Posted by MT Don

Don

Last edited by lawnboy; 02-03-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
BTW...don't believe Mini was previously offering discounts on the current generation and not sure really why they would need to start now since in 2008 the MINI brand achieved a new all-time high.

In fact, 2008 was the brand’s best year since the premium small car was launched on the U.S. market in 2002. For the very first time, the U.S. became the largest single market for MINI.

So MINI was down 15.4% for Jan 2009 over Jan 2008? Just noticed in Automotive News that BMW was down 15.5% in Jan 2009 over Jan 2008, but that figure includes BMW, MINI, and Rolls-Royce.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Here is the official MINI US Sales Data.

Quick Reply: R56 Any discounts when ordering?