R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Alignment... can I take it to a local shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 PM
jmanpatsfan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment... can I take it to a local shop?

Is it true that MINI's are aligned differently than normal cars, something about weights on the seats? If I take it to a local shop to have the alignment checked do you think they will know how to handle it. Does everyone take their cars to the dealership or is it ok to use a local place?
Thanks.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can take it to any shop or tire shop that has decent 4-wheel alignment equipment. Make sure that the shop you decide to use for the alignment is careful enough not to scratch your wheels when they place the alignment sensors over them.

I don't remember the exact alignment parameters and what can be aligned and what can not be. Also depending on the year your MINI was made some added adjustments (Camber, etc) can be done.

4-wheel alignment equipment uses a computer program that pre-loads the correct alignment parameters for your car depending on year and model of your car.

Also ask if the shop has the alignment parameters for a 2009 MINI. Since your car is essentially a carry over 2007-2009 R56 MINI, probably those older year parameters will still work for yours.

Last edited by ClubmanS; 01-28-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I use an independent MINI shop (Owned by a friend of mine and MINI owner as well) for alignment. He has excellent equipment and skill to do it properly. He charges $100 for a 4 wheel alignment.

You can go to a Goodyear tire shop, etc. Just make sure they have worked on MINIs and take precautions not to damage your wheels when placing the sensors over them.

The "wheel weights" refer to the metal weights that stick inside your rim and help balance the wheel and tire during rotation (So it doesn't vibrate at speed).

Wheel balancing is recommended every time you rotate your tires (About every 5K miles or so).

Old 01-28-2009, 12:19 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
You suspect alignment problems in your car? Your car is new!

If you have less than 2K miles, take it back to the dealer and they'll put it on the rack at no extra charge to you.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 PM
jmanpatsfan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
You suspect alignment problems in your car? Your car is new!

If you have less than 2K miles, take it back to the dealer and they'll put it on the rack at no extra charge to you.
I friend of mine drove the car when I first got it, and he went over a GIANT pot hole and the car pulls significantly now. I have to work to keep it in a straight line. The dealer I bought it from is an hour away from where I live.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:19 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
call them, service is free!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:32 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ricbow
call them, service is free!
...not if that GIANT pothole damaged the suspension!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Your friend probably bent something. There's basically nothing in the suspension that "goes out of alignment" like an eccentric bolt or flimsy sheetmetal. Ok, there is one pair of eccentric bolts, one on each rear lower outer control arm pivot, however if your friend smashed a crater he most likely bent something in the front-end, where most of the weight is.

To answer your first question though, no, MINI is pretty normal in that it has strut front suspension and multi-link rear suspension. All cars should be aligned with the drivers approximate weight in the driver seat. If your local favorite service guy can't handle it he's trying to go out of business. That said, if you need replacement parts, it's just as well you make the short trip to the dealership. I say short because most MINI dealers are more than an hour away. My closest acceptable dealership is 2.5 hours away. You'll have to get used to enjoying the drive a few times a year.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I agree. A visual inspection of the suspension likely to be needed in order to determine if your friend bent something down there when he went over the crater.

You need to put the car on a rack for starters. Let a professional determine damage if any and pass the bill to your "friend".

Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Wheel balancing is recommended every time you rotate your tires (About every 5K miles or so).
Where did you see that recommendation? It seems very excessive. Most people don't rebalance unless a problem arises, often not all all through the life of a tire after the initial mounting/balancing.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
stupid potholes

I lowered my car, got it aligned at the dealer ($150) drove like 200mi on a trip...meanwhile on the trip i felt like a shimmy going down the highway...told myself i was gonna take it back again.

Then... almost home I slam a crater in the highway...now its slightly worse and im still taking it in, i just may have neglected to mention the crater...

theres a chance i bent the wheel i think. They all have a slight wobble in them when i spin it (mainly the tire), but the one that hit looks slightly worse...hmm. Maybe i broke a belt in the tire or something?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
You guys have to learn active avoidance of potholes. Look far ahead in the road and choose you line wisely. Always give yourself an "out" in case a pothole arises and you need to abandon your lane. ...and for goodness sake, don't look at the pothole, look at the clean pavement! Driving instructors will always say "don't stare at what you don't want to hit". Your wallet and MINI will thank you!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
I find it hard to see pot holes hard to see in my Mini, especially in the dark. I'm used to driving my SUV and when sitting in the Mini, I'm much lower. I nailed one New Year's Eve (yes I was sober), but decided to drive with my fog lights on after dark. It seems to help.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:08 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
i mean ya its common sense... i avoid everything usually. I thought i knew nearly all of them from Columbus to Cleveland..which is where i was going.

It was dark/snowing/freezing/salty... then bam!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:16 PM
jmanpatsfan
2nd Gear
I saw the hole, the dude behind the wheel must not have cared since it wasn't his car. I thought common sense would dictate avoiding things like that. I will take it to my local shop and just have them put it on a lift and give it a good inspection.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by gregsmini
I find it hard to see pot holes hard to see in my Mini, especially in the dark. I'm used to driving my SUV and when sitting in the Mini, I'm much lower. I nailed one New Year's Eve (yes I was sober), but decided to drive with my fog lights on after dark. It seems to help.
You've been spoiled with exceptional viewpoint. The MINI doesn't sit very low compared to most cars. Get yourself a Miata or Elise for a while, and the MINI will seem like you're driving a jacked-up truck in comparison!

Wintertime low-contrast certainly doesn't help the pothole avoidance. This year I'm trying out running higher profile tires in winter than I prefer [195/55-16, vs. 205/45-17, or better yet, 215/35-18 from a few years ago]. The added sidewall cushion does allow for some sloppy driving, but still won't help if you hit the next Meteor Crater.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
damn... 2 bent rims.. time to visit the classifieds

Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
It never ceases to amaze me how deteriorated are the roads in some parts of this country.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
My closest acceptable dealership is 2.5 hours away. You'll have to get used to enjoying the drive a few times a year.
Any idea what they charge for an alignment? I should have called to see if Corey is working Saturday and if there's such thing as a fix for a freezing throttle body (Wendy says yes but that doesn't mean they have parts).

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just plan on having your wheels torn up.
I hate to be Mr. Negative but that's just how it seems
to be in the new world order.

I go to my trusted man, the hole is to small to fit his machine.
I go to my trusted man's trusted man, his machine fits.
But guess what, he will not take off a run flat.

I go to the tire rack site where I got them, get the recommended for my zipcode. Merchants tire I dont mind saying the name.

I argue with the manager I don't want new valve stems. A year old,
they last 20 years if nobody messes with them. blah blah not responsible
if something happens blah blah might leak when we change the tire blah blah.

OK.
Well, at this point it is 100% my fault for not walking away right then.

My wheels at each valve stem now have about 8 three inch
scratches, through the clear, through the paint. Looks like
blankety h e ll. Not a rock chip on the car anywhere else.

Bottom line: (maybe this is all of you alls first car you are trying
to keep nice but I can tell you it is not possible)
You have to redo the wheels about every 3 sets of tires.
It is unavoidable.

Worse things can happen though.
Believe me, much worse.

So try to not be all bent out of shape about it.
It IS going to happen. You just set aside X amount of
time money and energy to redo part A B C every couple years.
That is the way it is.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 AM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
You've been spoiled with exceptional viewpoint. The MINI doesn't sit very low compared to most cars. Get yourself a Miata or Elise for a while, and the MINI will seem like you're driving a jacked-up truck in comparison!

Wintertime low-contrast certainly doesn't help the pothole avoidance. This year I'm trying out running higher profile tires in winter than I prefer [195/55-16, vs. 205/45-17, or better yet, 215/35-18 from a few years ago]. The added sidewall cushion does allow for some sloppy driving, but still won't help if you hit the next Meteor Crater.
The MINI is pretty low to the ground compared to most sedans and coupes. Good for handling, not so good for snow, potholes, deep puddles, etc...

Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 AM
capnbill
1st Gear
I use an independent MINI shop (Owned by a friend of mine and MINI owner as well) for alignment. He has excellent equipment and skill to do it properly. He charges $100 for a 4 wheel alignment.

You can go to a Goodyear tire shop, etc. Just make sure they have worked on MINIs and take precautions not to damage your wheels when placing the sensors over them.

The "wheel weights" refer to the metal weights that stick inside your rim and help balance the wheel and tire during rotation (So it doesn't vibrate at speed).

Who's your guy in S. Florida? We're in Vero Beach and use Vista for the warranty stuff. When I've got the car down there, I go see Pete at Minspeed. The guy he uses next door does BMW stuff and I believe does alignments.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by capnbill
Who's your guy in S. Florida? We're in Vero Beach and use Vista for the warranty stuff. When I've got the car down there, I go see Pete at Minspeed. The guy he uses next door does BMW stuff and I believe does alignments.
I have used Pete's next door guy once. They are a very nice Brazilian family.

My guy is located here in Miami:

Precision AutoWerks
Luis Sanchez - Minis Of Miami charter member and 3 time MINI owner
7254 NW 25 Street (Near Miami International Airport)
Miami, FL 33122
305-591-7434
Email: Pawmotorsport@bellsouth.net

Luis has over 20 years experience in the automotive repair industry. He is an amazing driver out in the track and in the auto-x course. He is the defacto GURU in the MINI sFla community. Great guy. Professional. Tell you like it is.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by capnbill
I have used Pete's next door guy once. They are a very nice Brazilian family.

My guy is located here in Miami:

Precision AutoWerks
Luis Sanchez - Minis Of Miami charter member and 3 time MINI owner
7254 NW 25 Street (Near Miami International Airport)
Miami, FL 33122
305-591-7434
Email: Pawmotorsport@bellsouth.net

Luis has over 20 years experience in the automotive repair industry. He is an amazing driver out in the track and in the auto-x course. He is the defacto GURU in the MINI sFla community. Great guy. Professional. Tell you like it is.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
Is it true that MINI's are aligned differently than normal cars, something about weights on the seats? If I take it to a local shop to have the alignment checked do you think they will know how to handle it. Does everyone take their cars to the dealership or is it ok to use a local place? Thanks.
for a 4-wheel alignment my dealer charges about $35 more over an alignment shop, so I'll take it there because I know they will 1) do a proper and good job the first time and 2) not frak up the wheels. and yes they place weights on all 4 seats so the car is aligned under minimal passenger load.

I just have a basic distrust of generic car care places, case in point: a friend of mine took her S2000 into a Firestone, and those goobers rotated her tires--except on the S2000 rear tires are wider than front. you just never know... Caveat emptor....

Quick Reply: R56 Alignment... can I take it to a local shop?