R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Option choice help - Hi-Fi Speaker or Auto A/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Mini1va
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Option choice help - Hi-Fi Speaker or Auto A/C

Need help and feedback in specing out a MINI. Between two options with identical cost; the 10-Speaker Hi-Fi Sound Sytem or the Automatic A/C both $500 options. Which would you chose or are neither a gotta have thing. I'm trying to keep my final cost down. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:34 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
I have both, but I am told the Hi-Fi sound system is not much of an improvement. The auto-A/C came as part of my Premium package, otherwise I would have skipped it- I have stopped using the "auto" button and just manually set the fans/temperature.

So spend the $500 on something else? Heated seats are great in winter. I love 'em. Or a roof rack if you think you'll need one. Or save $500 and lower your payments a bit.

Truth be told, I wish I'd gotten the convenience package with the bluetooth phone and rain-sensing wipers. Many gripe about the unadjustable intermittent wipers that come standard, so maybe you want the rain-sensing wipers.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have both. The Auto AC came in the package. I would advise that neither are worth the $$. The sound is still marginal at best.

What I would add after a year of living with my car:
White Turn Signals
Chrome line

Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 AM
mikeyjaro
2nd Gear
i have never heard of a complaint from the manual climate control..

that being said - get the manual and improve as much as you can on the hi-fi.
my 0.02.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM
jimj
2nd Gear
I think the auto a/c is a waist of money. I never liked it on other cars I had.
The Hi-Fi I got in my Clubman isn't as good as I thought it would be.
And for $500, I think you might be able to upgrade your "stock"
speakers with better quality ones.
To choose between the auto A/C and the Hi-Fi, I'd pick the Hi-Fi.
I wish I would have opted for rain sensing windshield wipers.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 AM
srmach05
2nd Gear
Have both, neither is very necessary. Save the $500 and spend it on something else.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have both in my car. It would be a tough decision for me. On trips when I'm going over mountains and through many micro-climates, the auto a/c controls work great at keeping the car a constant temp. This also works equally as well in the winter with the heater.

The hi-fi system itself sounds ok to my ears, but it depends what you are use to. You need to go to a dealer and listen to the hi-fi system with some of your own music. If the hi-fi system doesn't sound good enough for you, the regular stereo is easier to upgrade later. The hi-fi would give you the extra tweeters on the A-pillars, which sound very good. If you didn't get the hi-fi and did a new system in it later, you'd want to add tweeters in that area anyway.

I haven't yet, but I've heard from others that just replacing the stock speakers in the hi-fi system make a big improvement. But like I said, so far in just over a year of ownership, I'm happy with the stock hi-fi system.

Get to a dealer and listen to the hi-fi. Many posts here about people not liking it.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
I've heard others say that the HiFi system makes an easier base to build an aftermarket setup off of, because it includes the A-pillars that are molded for tweeters and they're pricey.

I'm glad I have both, although I wasn't all that excited about the bang for the buck. Both of these things seem to start floods of comments- I'd say it would be worth your time to compare them in person, even if you had to ask around at a local club to do it.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 AM
MiniTim77
Neutral
Hmmm... I guess I am in the minority here. I think that the premium sound system sounds great. It doesn't have earth pounding bass, but not bad either. I spent a little bit of time in a Mini with the standard sound system and was not very impressed. I have the Auto climate control because it was part of the premium package with the dual pane sunroof (which is awesome). I am more of a manual person so I wouldn't pay extra for the auto climate. I did get the cold weather package (I live in Michigan), and think that the heated seats are a great option. They have three settings so I can keep the seat on low and not burn my you-know-what off.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 AM
whoapower
2nd Gear
Have both. My vote would be on the hifi. It isn't the best, but 500 for auto-ac is a bit much. I prefer the look and the ease of just setting a temp and letting it do its thing. Is that worth 500 bucks to you?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have both, and I "like"them for the "Bling factor". But looking back they are not worth the overpriced $$$, especially if you are tight on cash. Save the $$$$ and do a future speaker upgrade.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:25 AM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniTim77
Hmmm... I guess I am in the minority here. I think that the premium sound system sounds great.
I'm joining you here. I have the HiFi and love it. Before ordering, I checked with a the local stereo installer and for $500, they could only replace the speakers on a standard system. Granted, I'm no audiophile and I'm not claiming that the $500 Hifi upgrade is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'm just saying I think it's worth it and I like it. I suggest that you test it out at the dealership with your own cd and hear for yourself if the difference (improvement) is worth it to you.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:33 AM
NYMCS
2nd Gear
I ordered mine with the upgraded stereo. Im not planning on swapping out anything maybe just adding a JL Stealthbox and amp in the future. We'll see. I dont need the auto climate control. Its easy enough to regulate the temp myself. Besides having the compressor kick on and off all the time will hurt fuel consumption some what.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
Neither, get the LSD.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:01 PM
MrTIer
3rd Gear
I ordered the auto temp and think it great - pretty much just set it and forget about it. Besides, it looks good too. I chose not to get the hifi because of comments like "the HiFi system makes an easier base to build an aftermarket setup off of". A would have expected an extra cost hifi system to sound good, but only a small minority seem to think so. Lets face it, all the options on the mini are expensive, I would go for the ones that work well.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Have both. Ditch the Auto A/C, I override it most of the time. HiFi is good I think. I'm no audiophile but IMO the seldom mentioned variable is the audio source. Some stuff I play sounds excellent, some not so great, and that's from the same iPod and I do not use the headphone jack (bad news). Best of Grateful Dead, excellent tight bass, separation, vocal. New Jacob Dylan: bass buzzes, vocals not so clear. Both at 192kbps. Go figure.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
jsharra
3rd Gear
I have no experience with the current auto A/C, but I have it in my 2004 MCS. It has been wonderful. I leave it at 68 about 90% of the time. If I don't need A/C, I still leave it on auto, but with the A/C off. I'm configuring a 2009 now, and it will definitely have the auto A/C.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:56 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
i have both and didn't really want auto a/c but had no choice since I wanted Navigation.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
I too dont have either on my MINI. I love my standard AC system, so if it was me I would stick with the standard setup. The LED display is nice though!!
For the Hifi, go without. You could get a custom fabrication that sounds WAY better for around the same money, at a later date. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here, but I like both the auto climate control and the hi-fi sound. It's not the best car audio system, but spending $500 aftermarket these days won't get you that much, either. If I had to choose, I'd go with the auto climate control, which works very well for me. I do agree with other posters that you wouldn't miss either that much if you didn't include them on your build sheet.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:00 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a tin ear, so I can't advise on the radio, BUT I hate the auto air. I got it with the Premium package. I have auto air in my BMW, and it really works well. The MINI's cycles on and off too frequently, though. Here in the hot Houston summers, I find it will cool the car with the fan on about mid-way, and then tone down the blower to low, or somewhere around there. The car immediately heats back up.

In addition, I've been told (but haven't verified), that with the standard air control you can open the vents on a nice day, and get a "ram air" effect as you cruise. You can't do that with auto air. You HAVE to have the fan on. I find that annoying, and a waste.

Just my opinion, but it seems that most of the respondents in this thread don't like it, either. If you haven't already ordered them, and you have the dough, put it in auto wipers. They DO work well! Or Xenons. Or LSD (if it's an S). I'm assuming you've already picked DSC. That would be Priority One for me.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I like the auto A/C, when I've driven MINIs without it, I've really missed it. I also like the idea of the extra filtration.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I only got the Auto Air & HiFi because of the 'package-deal' with the must-have Sunroof.

After using it for six months, I would pay double for it, if necessary, not so sure about the HiFi, (@+$500)
but it was worthwhile with the 'half-price' Premium package deal on the 2008's.

So, if you want a Sunroof, get the AutoAir for sure and you will want that MFSW in any case (if you want Cruise Control).

Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 AM
jw34
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
In addition, I've been told (but haven't verified), that with the standard air control you can open the vents on a nice day, and get a "ram air" effect as you cruise. You can't do that with auto air. You HAVE to have the fan on. I find that annoying, and a waste.
I've got the standard air and always need to have the fan on to get any air flow. Yes, it is an annoying and a waste here too. The first car I've ever had where you couldn't have air without using the fan.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:24 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
I have neither option just the standard A/C and stereo since I bought mine off the lot but when I order my next MCS I will get the Hi-Fi option.Sure the opinions vary on the sound quality from great to a waste of money but having the tweeters located in the A pillar helps to separate the sound better.

Others have upgraded the factory speakers on the standard stereo for better sound quality but that can get a bit costly plus you won't have the 4/50K factory warranty on them.

Quick Reply: R56 Option choice help - Hi-Fi Speaker or Auto A/C