R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 3 months later... My complaints...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Bohica
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 months later... My complaints...

All right, first off, this is meant to be constructive, not start a flame war or name calling . Also, my spelling and typing skills are really really bad! No matter how many times I go over this I am sure I will mess soemthing up. Deal with it please.

So I have an 08 BRG Non-S MINI. It is pretty basic, the premium package (Auto A/C, Sun Roof, Upgraded stereo), Sport bucket seats, multi function steering wheel, and thats really it. I love this car! It is by far my favorite automobile that I have ever owned. That being said there are a few issues that do bother me a bit or I wish were more thought out. These are in no particular order than what is coming out of head after a couple of beers.

1.) That darn sun roof is loud when closed. I can really hear the air swooshing by and it makes a ton of noise. I really wish it was quiter. Seriously!

2.) Speaking of sun roof, I really wish there was a more than just a shade for it. I would love to be able to block it out with the roll cover rather than just screen it. Arizona is hot! I am balding quickly (thanks to work) I dont need all the extra sun on my head :-)

3.) Interior door handles creak like really cheap plastic. I mean every time I grab it, I hear some sound from a loose board in some creepy hounted house.

4.) Auto A/C confusing. Is set at 72 all the time. so In AZ i start off on MAX then hit Auto, I cant get it to adjust Auto to my preferences or is that even possible.

5.) Winshield wippers suck! Oh my gosh! Can we please get some realy wipers. I realize in AZ they have a short life, but mine were ready to be replaced after 2 months. One more thing on this topic, the drainage of the winshield needs some work, off the winshield onto the side windows sucks. My Honda had channels and guided it all off the back of the car.

6.) Very sensitive Boot sensor. I would swear it is shut but the sensor doesn't think so.

7.) Just a hair larger cup holders! And with this, either lower them a bit or move the Window levers as the cup of Starbucks gets in the way of operating the levers.

8.) Interior "mood" lighting. I would love for it to have adjustable brightness. Also it would be nice to make the dash/guage lights match the mood lighting. For me personally, the orange dash lights (Or red for that mater) bug my eyes, I would so prefer a blue for my guage lights. But in general the mood lights would be nice if they were brighter. The blue is hard to see.

9) Upgraded stereo is nice but that should have been standard, I cant imagine what the base one sounds like. I was hoping for a bit more for the money. Funyn thing is I find the controls really easy to use which a lot of people complain about. My only control gripe is that there is no function change on the sterring wheel ( i.e Tunner, to CD, to Aux)

10.) I wish the Time was displayed when looking at the onboard computer stats. There is plenty of room to put it int he right corner.

There, I said it all. No I will admit that several of these may seem silly to many of you. So be it. These are just observations I have made of the past few months that I am constantly repeating to myself "I wish that..."

Anybody share the same complaints or have other I may have missed? Again, not wanting to start a lot of drama, just curious if others see the same thing as myself or if they found something I dont notice?

Last edited by Bohica; 09-05-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
#4) The temperature is easily adjusted. The control is next to the display...red warmer & blue cooler.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Bohica
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rwwilsonjr
#4) The temperature is easily adjusted. The control is next to the display...red warmer & blue cooler.
Let me clarify that statement, I would like to be able to adjust the temp setting for Auto so when I hit Auto it will not go to 72 everytime and adjust the fan based on temp. I would like to set the Auto default temp to a different temp.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bohica
Let me clarify that statement, I would like to be able to adjust the temp setting for Auto so when I hit Auto it will not go to 72 everytime and adjust the fan based on temp. I would like to set the Auto default temp to a different temp.
.... mine defaults to whatever I last set it to. The temp is stored on the key.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I agree with everything you said but what car is perfect? Now try listing the things you do like...

Old 09-05-2008, 08:47 PM
INSOC
1st Gear
#8. The mood lights are adjustable with the dash lights. If you use the light adjustment on the tach (the left button) and set the dash lights to the highest setting, the mood lights will be brighter too. If you already have the dash lights as bright as they can get, then that is it. I too wish the dash lights changed color as well.

#10. I second this. I have two blank slots on mine begging for time and date.

I would like to add one to your list.

#11. I wish the speedometer had five mile an hour marks.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Krafty04
2nd Gear
#12. I wish I had my MINI in my garage.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10.) I wish the Time was displayed when looking at the onboard computer stats. There is plenty of room to put it int he right corner.
If you make a selection (say, mpg) from that screen the time once again will show up.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.) Speaking of sun roof, I really wish there was a more than just a shade for it. I would love to be able to block it out with the roll cover rather than just screen it. Arizona is hot! I am balding quickly (thanks to work) I dont need all the extra sun on my head :-)
I can't believe no one has solved this issue yet, especially with all the aftermarket stuff.

5.) Winshield wippers suck! Oh my gosh! Can we please get some realy wipers. I realize in AZ they have a short life, but mine were ready to be replaced after 2 months. One more thing on this topic, the drainage of the winshield needs some work, off the winshield onto the side windows sucks. My Honda had channels and guided it all off the back of the car.
Try investing in some higher grade windshield wipers?

6.) Very sensitive Boot sensor. I would swear it is shut but the sensor doesn't think so.
Don't sweat this. My parents had an old Ford Windstar that had the same problem, and that car was a piece of crap.

8.) Interior "mood" lighting. I would love for it to have adjustable brightness. Also it would be nice to make the dash/guage lights match the mood lighting. For me personally, the orange dash lights (Or red for that mater) bug my eyes, I would so prefer a blue for my guage lights. But in general the mood lights would be nice if they were brighter. The blue is hard to see.
And this is where auto enthusiasts must give Ford credit. On newer model cars, they allow you to custom set your gauge lighting as well as interior lighting. There are literally thousands of combinations.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:26 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
13. I would like a water temperature guage.

Agree with the points...

Old 09-05-2008, 10:33 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re: #2: I have limo tint on the inside of my 2003 MCS's sunroof. It has made a wonderful difference.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
blankito
1st Gear
5.) One more thing on this topic, the drainage of the winshield needs some work, off the winshield onto the side windows sucks. My Honda had channels and guided it all off the back of the car.

I HATE the fact that everytime I spend the day cleaning my car, I forgot that and throw some windshield washer on the windshield.. ALL the side windows become really dirty. Even worst, if the the windows are down, it gets all inside the car, not say, on ME.

14. I would REALLY like to have some engine temperature sensor to know when the car is ready to be driven HARD

What's next?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:56 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Something wrong with your sunroof, mine is silent at speed when closed.

My AutoAir always returns to last temperature setting when returned from Max,
Fan speed can be changed through seven speeds and the buttons on right are said to adjust flow on Auto,
although Auto is supposed to select 'best' flow and I never touch them.

My boot also requires a fairly firm close, you can turn the black bumpers on side to adjust,
but I just close tightly.

Fill Windshield Washer Tank with distilled (or purified) bottled water, leaves no spots on a clean car.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with pilotart, there's something wrong with your sunroof if it's noisy. Mine is silent when closed, and still relatively quiet when opened and driving on the freeway. Sunroof noise has never been one of my complaints. Email your SA about this asap.

Yes, the factory wiper blades suck. I just posted a thread on this recently, the responses I got were most useful and while I will probably order a set of Valeos for my next run of wiper blades, I ended up with the Rain X Latitudes and LOVE them compared to the factory blades.

I completely agree with number 8 and 9. I'd prefer to have a green or a blue light on my dash, orange is rather bothersome. I also don't want to know what the base sound system sounds like because the sound system in my hubby's CR-V makes my premium sound system in the MINI look like a joke. Still, there are many OEM stereos that are worse. Ever heard the sound system in a Corolla or an Isuzu Rodeo? *cringe*

Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
I agree with the OP about the cup holders and ambient lighting.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:39 AM
postlapsaria
3rd Gear
I have to agree with the creaky door handles...drives me nuts.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:28 AM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
All those problems and the car is so expensive? T_T
it discourages me from wanting one.

And all of you guys say ohh every car has its issues..
well i'd just like to see some proof:
someone please list complaints of a car they own (non-mini) just like this thread post above.
After that, i'll believe everyone's "every car has little issues" theory

Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 AM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
4.) Auto A/C confusing. Is set at 72 all the time. so In AZ i start off on MAX then hit Auto, I cant get it to adjust Auto to my preferences or is that even possible.
The auto climate control is not very auto. Why the heck is there an A/C button? Huh? On all of my other cars with auto climate control you would just just set the temperature and go. The car knew if it needed the A/C or not. The auto climate control in the Mini is definitely cheesy.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:54 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Love mine , no issues at all
As for the sunroof, this mini was ordered without it...

Old 09-06-2008, 08:23 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blankito

14. I would REALLY like to have some engine temperature sensor to know when the car is ready to be driven HARD

+1

When it's 10 degrees outside how do you know when the engine has warmed up to drive it? You don't.

I asked my SA how long to wait to drive the car the other day. He said 5 mintues.

Then I said what about in the winter. He laughed and said 6?

Nobody knows and it's the dumbest thing ever to not have a temperature gauge.

I wish the gas tank indicator was a gauge and not a digital display b/c it's not even close to accurate. I go 125 miles before the first indicator is out and when I have 4 of them remaining the OBD says I can travel another 107 miles. Go figure.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:34 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its all in the Driving Experience!

Originally Posted by mattsenpai

someone please list complaints of a car they own (non-mini) just like this thread post above.
Not really all that many cars cheaper than the MINI and a whole lot that are more expensive.

There is a larger 'range' in final cost as MINI offers many more 'options' than most cars,
but "Nicely Equipped" would be low $20's, not "...so expensive?"

Bottom line on MINI is the driving enjoyment, treat yourself to a test drive and if that does not excite you to have a MINI,
you would be better off looking elsewhere.

"...every car has its issues.." I did love my last car, and kept it 20 years and this would be just one of several 'issues' :
...it had the Wiper Control located on the Turn Signal stalk and about once a week ...(for a 1,000 weeks!)...
I would see a 'dry wipe' when signaling for a turn.. But I still loved that car and it took a MINI for me to change.

No 'issue' with my MINI (first 20 of at least 1500 weeks) that would even approach that issue.

But again; if you don't see the value after a test drive, MINI would not be for you.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 AM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rwwilsonjr
Ahh...Hasn't been a problem for me but I understand what you're saying.

Agree on the sunroof issues. Wish I hadn't ordered it. My next MC won't have it or the sport seats (I just can't seem to get used to them).

I've got the mood lighting adjusted somwhere between blue and orange which isn't distracting. At least to my slightly color blind eyes.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:01 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For those wanting to have water temp and oil temp guages, don't the R56s come with an optional Chrono Package ??

Old 09-06-2008, 09:13 AM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mattsenpai

That's easy: I traded in a 2005 VW Turbo Convertible, which I purchased brand new, on my MCS. And it actually cost more than my 2008 MCS. It was fun to drive and in some ways I liked it more than the Mini. I wouldn't even have considered trading were it not for "issues". One after another from trim falling off to $700 xenon headlights going off and on (not burning out just going off and on). The only saving grace was that VW and the dealership stood behind the vehicle and tried to address all of the problems. I just lost confidence in the car and it had to go.

I'll officially be a Senior Citizen next month and have purchaced many automobiles since turning 16 years of age. Everything from an Austin Healy to a Chevy Vega (talk about issues). Believe it or not, the only vehicle that I've owned which was essentially "bulletproof" was a 1984 Ford Torino Station wagon (my wife's actually). Change the oil and brakes and drive.

So...my advise (FWIW) is don't consider a Mini if what you're looking for is a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic. Different animals.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:20 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
For those wanting to have water temp and oil temp guages, don't the R56s come with an optional Chrono Package ??
No

Quick Reply: R56 3 months later... My complaints...