R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I write you from behind broken nav screens & shredded seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I write you from behind broken nav screens & shredded seats

Hello. Some may remember me, for those who don't - Hi I'm Mike.

I have been in a personal battle with my Mini since February. It's a long story. however, I shall summarize some of it's behaviors, below.

1. the car will shut off while In motion, and in "drive" gear.
2. It will not restart when this occurs for quite some time.
3. The transmission, (automatic), sometimes does not shift, and fails to let me out of 3rd gear. Making it almost impossible to do over 60 miles an hour safely.
4. The parking break seems to autonomously engage.
5. My airbags do not function
6. My HID headlights, brake lights, tag lights, and tail lights, turn off, on their own from time to time. I have received tickets for this.

Why haven't I had these things fixed? Well, I've fought Tom Bush, Mini of South Atlanta (where it was purchased), Braman Mini (in Miami), and Mini of Orlando, since Feb. I even hired an attorney, convinced it was a lemon.

Mini Corporate & legal did not care. I owe 27 thousand, and (prior to what I'll tell you below occurred), was worth around 16k. I have 30k miles.

While on a overnight stay in Miami, I went to south beach, to visit a hookah lounge (which wasn't worth it, jfyi). Upon returning to my vehicle, I came across some extensive damage.

Including:

my navigation screen had been busted, upon impact of some hard object.

both far left and far right A/C vents have been kicked, the left one is the worse, with the swivel directional piece stolen, and the panel able to move about the cabin.

the leather from my shift **** had been removed

the netting for the sun shade on my sunroof had been sliced

my seats, both front left & right, were stabbed, slashed, and obliterated, down thru the foam.

As I have nav, I have a dvd drive, and a removable piece that hides that drive, and allows for radio controls. Both the removable controller AND nav disc were stolen.

-----

Additionally, the entire way Home from Miami to Jacksonville, my transmission would not allow me out of 3rd gear. I left miami at 3 pm and arrived home in Macclenny at 2 am. I broke down three times, once by a tree farm, the other at a landfill, and the latter, at a truck stop, where a "nice" (sarcasm) man named Gene introduced himself and seemingly wanted to jump my bones.

I burned thru 3 tanks of gas on the way home on top of all of this.

I have to share this story. Unfortunately, I was so upset at the vandalism, I never reported it to miami dade police. So I am at a loss,

from the damage, to the extensive unreliability of my car, I'm just emotionless.

You may see pictures of the damage, here

http://www.disobeyers.com/Disobeyers...Mini_Woes.html

Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 PM
tookietookie
1st Gear
...Holy wow. Uh. *speechless*

I hope better fortunes find you, if that's any comfort.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What a tragedy

Are you saying that the lack of a police report precludes insurance recovery?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:48 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
My insurance company requires a police report. According to them, and I'm betting they logged I called in about a potential claim, and notated no police report was previously filed. lol

Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! If you didn't have the pics I would think you were a lying psycho.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
So did all your problems start before or after the vandalism? I'm a little confused...

Old 08-26-2008, 09:32 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Before.. actually. The icing on the cake was the vandalism..

It had been vandalized before - keyed twice, and my amp and rockford fosgate three.sixty was stolen.

I mentioned the damage, and mechanical abomination as effect, to show what I have been thru, PLUS with this, how much of a battle it's been.

I don't have words. I'm just sad. At first, when I got home yesterday, I was angry. But now that it's sunk in, with my idea of what it'll cost to repair, I'm sad. I can't afford all this repair. And insurance isn't helping :( I don't know what to do.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Ron H
2nd Gear
How long ago did this happen? If in the last day or so just file the Police report.

Do you have enemy's out there??

Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Firebolt
2nd Gear
I'm really sorry this had to happen to you. Its hard to believe that there is a breed of people out there that can obliterate your vehicle for no good reason. Any idea how they got in your car?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Those pictures are pretty scary, especially the shift ****, it's almost like your car was a victim of some satanic cult or a madman. Imagine your car was alive and it was slowly tortured... Oh, sorry, that's not helping...

Maybe you can still file a police report. I had a car keyed one time and a couple of days later I called my insurance and they also required a police report. They said it could be done after the fact; worth a try... Good luck with your car.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:18 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
Miami Dade police said I'd have to come back down to do it. I live in Jax. Not driving 12 hours for this. And certainly not paying to have it towed.

It's not a feasible or safe option to drive this car, with it's mechanical issues to miami.

Thanks for the sympathy guys... it's just unfortunate... Keep an eye on your car. I think it was a hate crime, either against gay people, or againt minis. Not that I have flags on my car or what have you, but had my best friend (also of my "family") present, lol. It seems cultish, it took them time, and certainly wasn't a quickie, imo.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 PM
MakoBimmer
4th Gear
Wow. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Maybe that lawyer of yours can do something for you??? Good luck to you.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:51 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
lol, I fired him a few weeks ago. When he wasn't able to do anything or help me get anything done with this car.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:37 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I'd still file a police report even if I had to limp to Miami. That is an awful lot of damage that will cost some $$ To fix.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:07 AM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
It's hard to understand someone just leaving town without reporting THAT level of damage to the police. Sounds like, through no fault of your own, you're a magnet for disaster.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:13 AM
Apple
6th Gear
My god man, you should have walked up to it and threw your keys on the seat, in Miami it would have been gone in 30 secs, I am so sorry moved from S Florida because of this, and have no want to go back.

I have heard about the problems first hand from the mini mechanic with the Auto Trans, I wish you the best and hope it all works out.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Apple
6th Gear
PS.. you get a 10 in my book for liking IKEA!

Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 AM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike- did you mention the potential 'hate crime' aspect to the police? Not sure if it would change anything with them, but those are pretty powerful buzz words these days and could possibly help. I know it's a PITA to go back down to Miami, especially considering the condition of your car, but if that's what it takes to get your insurance company to do what you've paid them to do, then it's a hoop that you might want to jump through (albeit grudgingly).

Thanks for sharing the lesson about filing a police report right away. Your experience will likely help prevent some readers of this forum from making the same mistake. It can be hard to think clearly when we're under such a high level of shock.

So very sorry to hear about your experiences with the car. Too bad the bad guys didn't just steal and total it so you could collect the insurance and start over with a new car that wasn't cursed.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Yeah, you should do what you can to get the insurance to take care of the vandalism damage (i.e. go back to Miami and get a police report), because, in my experience, even upon a successful "repurchase" agreement with a car company, they are going to expect you to be responsible for "unusual" wear and tear.

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:42 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweetie, I hate to say it (and I mean it in the NICEST way), but I really hope you've learned something here:

Report EVERYTHING, no matter how much it hurts. Police reports, service repairs, etc. Make sure there's a paper-trail at all times. It's a CYA move, but hey, it works.

I'm guessing the dealership is not responding to your claims (damage regardless) because you didn't have them thoroughly check it out/repeatedly check it out when you discovered the problems? Even if it makes you sound like a nag, this is what you have to do -- this is your chunk of change, afterall!!

ANd I agree with the other posters - mention the words "hate crime" and get your bippy down to Miami to file the claim (work-week commuter flights might be cheaper, right?) A little pain now means significantly less pain (and money!) later.

And be proud of who you are - gay, straight, male, female, nag-for-paper-trail or just a nag, stand up for yourself! (Again, I say this in the NICEST way....)

Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Lewz, I don't mind if you were kidding around about the hookah experience, but it sure didn't sound like it to me or the rest of the group. Therefore, your post has been removed. Sorry.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I was just going to post about personal attacks on members of NAM when it looks like one of the other moderators took care of it.

Mike - sorry to hear about your car - you really need to get a police report filed - it may be a 12 hour drive to Miami but unless you've got several thousand dollars in the bank to cover these losses.... find a friend with a truck/SUV, rent a U-haul and tow that MINI down to Miami to get your police report.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:30 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Man, that is a tale of woe. Fingers crossed for better karma, luck, pattern break for you.
I agree with the advice you have been given here, get back down there and file a report. Sux, but thems the hoops you got to jump through.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 AM
lewz
Neutral
Originally Posted by Xymox
Lewz, I don't mind if you were kidding around about the hookah experience, but it sure didn't sound like it to me or the rest of the group. Therefore, your post has been removed. Sorry.
I was neither attacking nor joking. This OP states the following in his blog:

"For all those who aren’t in the know. I have issues with depression. I’m bi-polar, sure. I’m heavily medicated. But meds can only sway so much of, what are normally, severe mood swings.

Mood swings that include, binge eating, binge drinking, binge smoking, 3-5 days without sleep, thoughts of creative suicide. "..
How many people would like to do what I do every day? umm. a lot, probably. Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Poop, Smoke Hookah, Get Free Room & Board, etc...

I hate it. I’m tired of it. I’m not allowed to drive any of the cars anymore, cause of a small accident I was in..."

See
http://www.disobeyers.com/Disobeyers..._Flash___.html and http://www.disobeyers.com/Disobeyers...sadness._.html

Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 PM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
I have been sleeping, hence a lack of replies. Thank you for the advice. My father is a police officer here and seems to be working on it.

In regards to a quote from my blog. While I may have given a indirect link to my musings, what I write or have written is not relative to the thread. If you wish to make remarks, do it in the lounge. That is a simple request.

And yes I love ikea. Most things in my home are from Ikea. And my hookah is used for legal reasons. I didn't catch the already removed comment. Thanks mods.

I wasn't openng myself up to flaming, , I was merely sharing a long sad story. (well sad IMO.)

Quick Reply: R56 I write you from behind broken nav screens & shredded seats