R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 TPMS Question For Aftermarket Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:24 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Question For Aftermarket Wheels

Ok, not so much a question of DIY or how to remove or install the TPMS sensor...but do pardon my silly question as I just picked up my MCS last week...

I bought a 07 MCS which already came with aftermarket wheels (J-Line), I am returning this set back to the seller and move the tires to my new wheels. The TPMS light does not light on right now, does that mean the previous owner had put the sensor on these J-Lines?

I also have a 03 M3 that has TPS, but it never require a sensor to be attached to the wheel...I've already gone through a few set of wheels there, and never have to think about any sensor...just not sure if Mini TPMS is any different from BMW TPMS...

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Herman da German
2nd Gear
I was going to post the same question. I'm switching out my stock wheels as soon as mine makes it across the pond.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first question yes. he had them transferred to the aftermarket wheel or he did the pvc pipe trick.

2nd yes unless you can find some stock 07+ wheels the tpms light will come on

3rd starting with 07 BMW had to switch to an active TPMS system. previously both BMW and MINI used the ABS sensor to detect low tire pressure.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:45 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Herman da German
I was going to post the same question. I'm switching out my stock wheels as soon as mine makes it across the pond.

i switched out my stock wheels and I even bought a 2nd set of TPMS sensor... the only thing I didn't do was to make sure the aftermarket wheels can accept the TMP sensors... they couldn't but I've gotten use to the TPMS light.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mellowmcs
first question yes. he had them transferred to the aftermarket wheel or he did the pvc pipe trick.

2nd yes unless you can find some stock 07+ wheels the tpms light will come on

3rd starting with 07 BMW had to switch to an active TPMS system. previously both BMW and MINI used the ABS sensor to detect low tire pressure.
Ok,I just checked the JLine, I don't see any sensors on the wheels, does that mean he did that PVC pipe trick you mentioned? I have no idea what that is, I guess some research there. If he really did it, does that my new wheels will be fine?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the build date of your '07 MCS? Those built before somewhere around August (delivered in Sept.) had a passive system that determined a flat tire by monitoring wheel rotation speeds. When the ratio between wheels changed radically, it figured that the slow wheel was losing inflation. The benefit of this system was that no sensors were required in the wheels.

It was a Federal law that caused them to change to air pressure sensors.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by beckham23
Ok,I just checked the JLine, I don't see any sensors on the wheels, does that mean he did that PVC pipe trick you mentioned? I have no idea what that is, I guess some research there. If he really did it, does that my new wheels will be fine?

sensors are inside and they don't come with the wheel. but it doesn't mean he didn't buy them or transfer them from the stock wheel.

Robin posted another possibility (which I didn't know about).

Old 08-27-2008, 09:48 AM
beckham23
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
What is the build date of your '07 MCS? Those built before somewhere around August (delivered in Sept.) had a passive system that determined a flat tire by monitoring wheel rotation speeds. When the ratio between wheels changed radically, it figured that the slow wheel was losing inflation. The benefit of this system was that no sensors were required in the wheels.

It was a Federal law that caused them to change to air pressure sensors.
Thanks, I just wish this is the case then. I don't really want to deal with those sensors to be honest. I have no idea what the build date is...guess will search the forum to see how I can figure that out.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Thanks, I just wish this is the case then. I don't really want to deal with those sensors to be honest. I have no idea what the build date is...guess will search the forum to see how I can figure that out.

build date is on the sticker in the door jamb. i think driver side, if not passenger side.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The passive system is referred to as FTM (Flat Tire Monitor). The sensor system is referred to as TPSM. What does your manual say? When you rest the system, does it use either acronym?

Also, valve stems for sensors are usually metal, and non-sensor valve stems are usually rubber. If you have rubber valve stems and your sensor light isn't on, you have the passive system.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM
beckham23
2nd Gear
Thanks Robin...I just quickly ran downstairs to check...manual says FTM, valve stems are rubber, build date is 7/7...guess I have the passive system.