R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Griot's Car Care products

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM
gababo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Griot's Car Care products

I just received a catalog from Griot's Garage Care Care for the Perfectionist with 10% coupond code. I used Zymol once and very satisfied with the products. But they are so pricey. I wonder if anyone have used Griot's car car products and would share their opinion. Are they good products?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:41 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I use a bunch of their products. Car Wash, Speed Shine, Wheel Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, Rubber Cleaner, Glass polish, Clay, and much more. I have been very happy with all of the products thus far. Very helpful on the phone as well.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 PM
enricosonic
6th Gear
Same here. I also own their random orbital buffer and their 3" mini buffer (great for a MINI's complex nose and front pillars, etc.) and use One Step Sealant as well as Machine Polish 3 and Best in Show wax. Makes my Jet Black R53 look better than new. Also their Tire and Rubber Dressing works well without utilizing silicones. Ditto on the customer service.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
kulmini
Person of Interest
I too use their products to include both orbitals. Lucky for me their one retail store is located close by so there are times we do get good deals. I am very satisfied with their products, I never leave home without their traveling cleaning kit, especially the Speed Shine.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:15 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Speed Shine.

Microfiber Wash Mitt.

Tire Dressing.

Microfiber Rags.

Waffle Weave Towels.

Wheel Cleaner.

Squeegee Blade.

Vinyl and Plastic Dressing Wipes.

3/4" x 100' rubber hose.

Disposable Glass Cloths.

Okay... why does it seem like every time someone posts a thread asking if anyone uses something, I have ??

Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
Richard has some very nice and functional stuff in his catalogs. He (and most everybody that works there) is a real car nut. Sometimes you can find products in his catalog cheaper elsewhere, but the big advantage is that he and his crew have tested every product they sell. Many times the product lines will change as they find even better stuff to sell than what sold just last year.

I really like his glass cleaner. I may need to get some more as my wife has a clean window fetish.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveJ
I really like his glass cleaner. I may need to get some more as my wife has a clean window fetish.
YOU are one very, VERY lucky man.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use their stuff, and love it (100% cotton cloth, Speed Shine, MF towels).

Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
Griot's hosts club days at their Tacoma shop for all kinds of car clubs. Our MINI club has one a couple times a year. Their products are really nice, if not a little expensive, and they smell good. I have a Porter Cable polisher, but the one they sell is about the same. They used to sell the PC before branding their own. My favorite products are the microfibre wash mitts, wash soap because it smells good, and the spray wax. When I use the spray wax during drying my cars really do shine.

Greg

Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
How is it for longevity? I'd give up a couple lumens of shine for a couple months of durability, any day, because I am, in the words of my third grade teacher, "indescribably lazy."

Currently, I love the Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax because it puts down a good shine, and beads water for a couple months. It goes on and comes off well, and would be a perfect wax for me, except that it doesn't clean as well as the Meguiar's "Cleaner Wax."

I'd love to clay bar my car and do all those other things you can do to create a deep rich shine, but, Sister Marie and I know that I won't. So I'm reluctant to even sway from my beloved Meguiar's synthetic wax unless there's the hope that Griot's can compete on these two very distinct needs:

1) Looks pretty good
2) Takes less work than ordering a fast food meal. (and when asked if I want to supersize it at a well-known fast food place, I've responded, "Just feed me, don't bother me with the details of how you do it." - so I'm a different level of lazy than you might be used to.)

Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
I love Griot's products. You should try the Bug Guard. It is great to put on before road trips. The bugs just wash right off. With the honeycombed grill of my Clubman S and the BW's grill I wouldn't travel without applying the Bug Guard. I also love the special wash container they have with a grit guard.
All the way around they have great products.
Zymol may be expensive, but the products are so easy to use. I've had my wax in the fridge for years with no degradation. I've had it that long because the wax stays on the cars so well and it doesn't require a lot to wax them.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 AM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud10
You should try the Bug Guard. It is great to put on before road trips. The bugs just wash right off.
But do they clog the shower drain?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
LaserSpeeder
1st Gear
Griot's Garage - Recommended

Yes indeed I have used their products for about 2 years now. I buy cleaners from other more affordable places, but the polishing materials are first rate. I use their electric polisher and have excellent results, even on finishes that are scratched and oxidized. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 AM
cloud10
4th Gear
Touche!
Originally Posted by mslatter
But do they clog the shower drain?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:50 AM
koyama
1st Gear
i recently bought some of Griot's products. In fact, I got one of their "packs" that included polish, one-step sealant, wax remover, speed shine, spray on wax, clothes, and an orbital polisher. Plus a few other things.

I stripped the car of all it's wax, washed the car, then applied the one-step sealant (which has a little polish in it as well). Using the random orbital, it gave it a fantastic shine with deep gloss. I went with the sealant, because I'm not good about remembering to wax the car...

So far the shine has really held up. Cleans up really nice. I use the spary on wax when drying, and it helps dry the car faster, and when buffed, really preserves the shine of the car.

So far I've been impressed. We'll see how it holds up the rest of the summer and into the wet weather.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
I've been using Griot's products for many years and they are great. I most recently ordered some of the Speed Shine Microfiber Towels, and like all the other products, they are awesome...