R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Factory Installed Aero Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
MotorManiac
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Installed Aero Kit?

OK, so I was going to order my MCS last week, when some unforseen financial issues came up, and now it looks like I'll be waiting a little longer (got to store up some cash first.) Unfortunately the longer I wait to order, the more I look around at minis on the road, and the more I fiddle with the mini USA site.. and the more options I want!

So, I now have some questions about the available aero kits.

1) I was wondering what people's take was on the factory installed aero kit. Also, I assume that it would come painted?

2) How does the factory installed kit differ from the JCW aero kit?

3) I know that there are threads about this in the mods forums, but most of those posts with pics don't say which kit they have installed..(it is probably obvious to them which is which, but I can't tell)

4) How do the costs of the factory installed kit and the JCW kit compare to aftermarket kits after figuring in painting and installation?

And is this is a thread somewhere else please let me know, I searched but could not find one.

Last edited by MotorManiac; 06-17-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 PM
SC_Mini
2nd Gear
I don't know much about the aero kits, but I do know that the JCW price on the MINIUSA.com site is for prepped but unpainted and uninstalled kit. My dealership said it comes to about $2700 when all is said and done. It was a deal breaker for me. I didn't like the look of the factory kit, so mine is coming stock.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you order the factory aero kit it comes painted. the price is whatever it's on miniusa.com builder. i have the factory aero kit and I love it.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 PM
MotorManiac
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mellowmcs
if you order the factory aero kit it comes painted. the price is whatever it's on miniusa.com builder. i have the factory aero kit and I love it.
Mellow, Any pics?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Old 06-18-2008, 04:44 AM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Here are some pics of mine with the factory aero kit (with painted arches):

Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
I had read somewhere that the factory was going to be offering painted arches with the factory aero kit? I assume that would bump the cost to be close to the JCW Aero Kit which is installed at the US Port. IMO, the JCW Aero Kit is much better looking.

Here's mine:

more in my gallery.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 AM
SC_Mini
2nd Gear
Painted arches, that looks pretty good. That's exactly what I was struggling with. I didn't like the look that way the factory aero kit cuts into the black fender flares, makes it look to much like a bolt on piece. With painted arches it looks great.

The JCW IMO looks awesome though, wish I had the cash. I guess I can always save and have my dealer install later.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by SC_Mini
Painted arches, that looks pretty good. That's exactly what I was struggling with. I didn't like the look that way the factory aero kit cuts into the black fender flares, makes it look to much like a bolt on piece. With painted arches it looks great.

The JCW IMO looks awesome though, wish I had the cash. I guess I can always save and have my dealer install later.
Personally I don't like the painted arches, so I'm planning on storing up to get the JCW Aero. Dunno why I didn't put it on my original order. Oh well.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
so, does the JCW aero kit come painted from the dealer? Or do they just hand you an unpainted un-installed kit?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:09 AM
MotorManiac
1st Gear
I'm not positive, but i think that the JCW aero kit shows up unpainted and unattached, and you need to pay your dealer to have it painted and installed.. (hence my interest in the factory installed aero kit..

Old 06-19-2008, 05:07 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
As I said above, the JCW Aero Kit is painted and installed at the US Port. That's where mine was installed. However, you can order it from your dealer.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 AM
pigbat
1st Gear
Just to clarify for those of us who are a little slower. I see 2 factory kits in this thread. One has black arches and the other painted. Which way does it come from the factory? Did they begin painting the arches in 08? The configurator online shows painted arches when you pick the kit.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
There are two aero kit options.

1. JCW Aero Kit - Painted and installed at port. It's a more complete look as the arches aren't cut off.

2. Factory Aero Kit - Painted and installed at the Factory.

Previously and currently, neither arches are painted officially by MINI (dealers, port or factory). Anyone who has painted arches have contracted someone to do them outside the dealer (or had the dealer bid to have them do it). It's not an offical thing that MINI does.

HOWEVER, there is either a rumor or a plan for MINI to start painting arches as an option. I think the story was on Motoringfile.com. I don't believe there have been any official word on when or if it will start.

This is the only link I could find on Motoringfile about painted arches and it was in 2003.

EDIT: After writing this post, I called the sales manager of my local dealership. His take was that the FACTORY Aero Kit now does, in fact, come with painted arches. This began in with June production cars. He wasn't sure when the site was updated to reflect this.

I don't think you now have the option to get unpainted arches unless you go with no aero kit or the JCW Aero Kit.

Last edited by STLMINI; 06-19-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STLMINI
There are two aero kit options.

1. JCW Aero Kit - Painted and installed at port. It's a more complete look as the arches aren't cut off.

2. Factory Aero Kit - Painted and installed at the Factory.

Previously and currently, neither arches are painted officially by MINI (dealers, port or factory). Anyone who has painted arches have contracted someone to do them outside the dealer (or had the dealer bid to have them do it). It's not an offical thing that MINI does.

HOWEVER, there is either a rumor or a plan for MINI to start painting arches as an option. I think the story was on Motoringfile.com. I don't believe there have been any official word on when or if it will start.

This is the only link I could find on Motoringfile about painted arches and it was in 2003.
The configurator on miniusa shows the factory kit as having painted arches now. didn't before.....

Old 06-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
The factory installed aero kit now does indeed come with painted arches.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
+1 Confirmed. See edited post above.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:37 PM
ThommyG
Banned
Aero Kit Painted Arches -- Mud Flaps?

Hello all!
Can anyone tell me if the mud flap installation process or fit is different if the Aero Kit has been installed?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:57 PM
tag
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ThommyG
Hello all!
Can anyone tell me if the mud flap installation process or fit is different if the Aero Kit has been installed?
Mud flaps will not fit if you have the areo kit installed.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tag
Mud flaps will not fit if you have the areo kit installed.

i emailed morris town mini and they told me only the rears will fit.

i however ordered both front and rear and try and see if i can get the front to fit as well

Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
okay, I love the JCW aero kit, yet $2,700 painted and installed is very pricey. ....I'd go up to $2k,

Does anyone know of a 3rd part vendor that sells the JCW aero kit?

Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 PM
ThommyG
Banned
Originally Posted by eR1c
okay, I love the JCW aero kit, yet $2,700 painted and installed is very pricey. ....I'd go up to $2k,

Does anyone know of a 3rd part vendor that sells the JCW aero kit?
It's $1250 installed at the factory.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:12 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
It's $1250 installed at the factory.
-for the JCW Aero Kit??? I thought the JCW was like $1595 and then another $1200 for installation and painting?? I think your talking about the "factory aero kit"???

Old 06-22-2008, 09:25 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The JCW section of the Mini Configurator is now seperated from the Dealer installed options page, however there's a disclaimer that you can quickly click through that warns about all the JCW options/accessories still being dealer installed. I would definitely check with your dealer about painting & installation costs well ahead of making a decision.

btw, the factory Aero kit does look a lot better in person, I almost regret not getting it, but the unpainted arches/edges of the regular bodywork are a lot lower upkeep. I think it's a lot more practical for a daily driver.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
btw, the factory Aero kit does look a lot better in person
hmm, I kind of like the JCW kit better... guess it's a personal preference as to which people like best.

so,

Does anyone know if a 3rd party sells the JCW aero kit (trying to find it cheaper)

Quick Reply: R56 Factory Installed Aero Kit?