R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Front License Plate Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:54 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Plate Mounting

I have an 08 MC. I want to mount a thick aluminum college license plate up front, but the only thing there is a flexible plastic bumper covering. Screws will surely rip out after a time.

Does anyone know how to mount plates to the front bumper so they will stay put and not damage the body more than necessary?

RC

Old 04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd go with this option and avoid any holes in the bumper.
http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MINI.html

Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
mpdwag
2nd Gear
+1 for the no holes mount. I just ordered one last week.

Last edited by mpdwag; 04-03-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Eye Kaint Spellll
Old 04-03-2008, 06:24 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Thank you both! It's amazing that my MINI of Nashville parts guy didn't know anything about this rig.

Chalk up another point for NAM and this great site.

RC

Old 04-03-2008, 07:04 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
How do the dealers mount the front license plates for states that require a front plate?

I ordered my Mini from a dealer in NJ but I live in PA so I don't require a front plate. They will probably drill holes in my front bumper :(

Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
How do the dealers mount the front license plates for states that require a front plate?

I ordered my Mini from a dealer in NJ but I live in PA so I don't require a front plate. They will probably drill holes in my front bumper :(
Call your MA and ask that they not drill your bumper.Otherwise they will drill two holes in your bumper for a plastic mount then screw your plates to the mount.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:26 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
WA's a front-plate state, and my dealer asked if we wanted the bumper drilled or not-drilled when we placed the order, they also sell & install the No-Holes mount, but it's cheaper to buy it directly and install it yourself.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd skip the front plate entirely. I've been driving without one for over a year without any "comment" from Chicago's finest.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Diamond_Joe_Quimby
2nd Gear
Lucky you!! Chicago's finest tacked on a no front plate ticket to an expired parking meter ticket for me... what a bonus!!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
mpdwag
2nd Gear
Certainly the choice to drive with or without the front plate is up to the individual; but in States that do have the front plate requirement you are then making a conscious choice to violate the law. I'm Okay with that - to each their own but, as a former cop, I can tell you it gives any yahoo with a badge instant probable cause to pull you over anytime they feel like it. I, personally, am not okay with that but, it is the law. So, do what you will, and I will put my front plate on and go have a beer.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
You will be happy with the gominigo no holes bracket. On the back side it isn't super pretty, but it is very well made, and stays where you bolt it. On my G35 I have a bracket from a G35 guy and it isn't as well made. Gominigo's bracket is sturdy stainless steel and something I would purchase again.
Greg

Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 PM
japtor
2nd Gear
Do the no holes brackets have any sort of locking mechanism, or could someone just walk up and twist the whole thing out of the tow hook mount?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:04 AM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
The bracket screws into the tow hook threads. There is not set screw although mine is in quite tight. The bracket then is attached to the part that screws into the tow hook with a nut and locking washer. That can also be tightened. Some motivated person could probably unscrew something using the plate as leverage. The weak link for plate mouting is usually the small screws/bolts that hold the plate to a bracket. Gomnigo provides good quality stainless steel versions of those with locking nuts. In WA state we don't have year stickers for the front plate, so stealing it is not especially useful. I would be more concerned about losing the bracket since it costs about 5 times the price of replacement plates.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 AM
VintageMac
2nd Gear
Low mounting

Here is my approach. No holes in the bumper and the license is centered and mounted low.

I used the stock bracket but cut out the sides so it does not restrict air flow. Then I just wire-tied it to the grill. Inexpensive and it looks good!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tend to favor hiding the bumper seams and dimples on the R56 bumper...it's pretty odd to me to mount the plate elsewhere when you and everybody else can always tell where the plate is supposed to be. I insisted that the dealer drill and install that plate holder!!! I honestly don't get the angst about not putting the plate where it naturally (and often legally) belongs on R56, but to each their own. Just because I don't get it doesn't make it wrong.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Originally Posted by VintageMac
Here is my approach. No holes in the bumper and the license is centered and mounted low.

I used the stock bracket but cut out the sides so it does not restrict air flow. Then I just wire-tied it to the grill. Inexpensive and it looks good!
Only problem with this mount is that you are covering up the front mount intercooler. Just an FYI.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
Only problem with this mount is that you are covering up the front mount intercooler. Just an FYI.
Also, the wire ties allow rubbing, and eventually you'll get marks. I used the same trick with my last car, and even pulling them as tight as I could get them with pliers still let the plate move around and rub.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Shifti
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
I'd go with this option and avoid any holes in the bumper.
http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MINI.html
Thanks for the heads-up on the no holes bracket. I didn't know there was one.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 AM
gaston
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No holes bracket

The no-holes bracket works great, as long as you are comfortable with an asymmetric license plate. Unfortunately the pic in my sig was taken before my plates arrived.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 PM
japtor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I tend to favor hiding the bumper seams and dimples on the R56 bumper...it's pretty odd to me to mount the plate elsewhere when you and everybody else can always tell where the plate is supposed to be. I insisted that the dealer drill and install that plate holder!!! I honestly don't get the angst about not putting the plate where it naturally (and often legally) belongs on R56, but to each their own. Just because I don't get it doesn't make it wrong.
I was wondering why mine didn't have the bumper seams I've seen on other cars, just realized now that the JCW aero kit bumper doesn't have them. Also I have stripes there:

Old 04-06-2008, 12:50 PM
rgc0233
2nd Gear
I must agree with mpdwag, I am also a former cop. You don't want to give them probable cause to pull you over. I also don't like the front plate, but wear one anyway. Does the front bracket just screw into the bumper cover? Whatever brilliant person installed my front plate drilled into the bumper cover and mounted the plate directly to the cover and off-centered. I believe I can cover the previous holes with the mount and mount it in the center.

Last edited by rgc0233; 04-06-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:34 PM
MDLMini
1st Gear
Someone here suggested using heavy-duty velcro tape if you want it centered and no holes drilled... I got mine at Home Depot and it works great! No holes, and the plate hasn't shifted a bit. Plus, if I decide to remove it later, a little Goo-be-Gone and it's back to the naked look...

Mark

Old 04-07-2008, 08:01 AM
-Vampyre-
3rd Gear
I used heavy duty velcro. I already had to take it off once when I pulle dthe plate off too hard and took off some of the tape. It was pretty easy to clean off and redo.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Just installed the GoMINIGo no bolt plate holder. Great service from the company. Easy to install. Looks good (I don't mind an asymetric look.)

My plate and holder are extra thick aluminum advertising my alma mater. The bolts that come with the kit are too short. They're sized for normal plates. High quality hardware, but I'll have to get a couple of new bolts tomorrow to mount the frame.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia
Just installed the GoMINIGo no bolt plate holder. Great service from the company. Easy to install. Looks good (I don't mind an asymetric look.)

My plate and holder are extra thick aluminum advertising my alma mater. The bolts that come with the kit are too short. They're sized for normal plates. High quality hardware, but I'll have to get a couple of new bolts tomorrow to mount the frame.
That was fast!!

Quick Reply: R56 Front License Plate Mounting