R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Anyone get the digital power sound module??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone get the digital power sound module??

I was told this can only come in the cabrio, but now I hear differently. Anyone know if I was able to order this item? And if I can get it in the hard top, can it be installed at the dealer?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haven't done this, but thinking about it...
  • Definitely compatible with the R50/53 coupe (but possibly not for the cabrio.)
  • You can order from any MINI dealer. I was quoted $1350 shipped from Morristown MINI (the "low price leader" )
  • Dealer can do the install, but anyone should be able to (including you). All components are engineered to plug into the the existing head unit and harness, and the speakers fit into existing cut outs.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tazio
Haven't done this, but thinking about it...
  • Definitely compatible with the R50/53 coupe (but possibly not for the cabrio.)
  • You can order from any MINI dealer. I was quoted $1350 shipped from Morristown MINI (the "low price leader" )
  • Dealer can do the install, but anyone should be able to (including you). All components are engineered to plug into the the existing head unit and harness, and the speakers fit into existing cut outs.
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is this???

Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is this???
Mini has offered this for a few years now. However, it is only listed now under the cabrio as an option, and not on any other models. It is a stereo system on steroids.

read this thru ...

http://www.motoringfile.com/2006/11/...wed/#more-5386

Old 11-26-2007, 05:58 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
The original DPSM kit will NOT install into a convertible - the DPSM rear speakers are 6x9 for the hardtop MINI, and the convertibles rear speakers are circular not rectangular.

Did they make a convertible version? Where do you see it "listed for the cabrio"?

BTW:
GPMINI has DPSM as well as a little more
http://www.gbmini.net/wp/2007/03/dps...all_in_gpmini/

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
The original DPSM kit will NOT install into a convertible - the DPSM rear speakers are 6x9 for the hardtop MINI, and the convertibles rear speakers are circular not rectangular.

Did they make a convertible version? Where do you see it "listed for the cabrio"?

BTW:
GPMINI has DPSM as well as a little more
http://www.gbmini.net/wp/2007/03/dps...all_in_gpmini/
it is under the Cabrio Cooper S section 5, Audio Electric towards the end of the scroll.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
What's strange is that the DPSM listing specifically mentions 6x9 speakers - which won't fit in the convertible!
I suspect it's an error on the MINI USA website; a leftover from when the R50/53 hardtop was available.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 PM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
What's strange is that the DPSM listing specifically mentions 6x9 speakers - which won't fit in the convertible!
I suspect it's an error on the MINI USA website; a leftover from when the R50/53 hardtop was available.
What is even stranger, is that I bought an R56 and was told that only the convertibles can have the sound system, and that is not true, I am finding out.

PISSED OFF!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:26 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Yes, there is a DPSM kit specifically for the convertible, which I came across while researching my audio upgrade options. In addition to the DPSM kit itself (the convertible version comes with different rear speakers), it also requires an adapter kit and rear grills, so the total cost ends up about $300 more than the hardtop version. The rear grills come in different colors to match the dash.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 PM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Yes, there is a DPSM kit specifically for the convertible, which I came across while researching my audio upgrade options. In addition to the DPSM kit itself (the convertible version comes with different rear speakers), it also requires an adapter kit and rear grills, so the total cost ends up about $300 more than the hardtop version. The rear grills come in different colors to match the dash.

But you dont see it offered with the hard top do you?

thats what confuses me ...

Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
It has always been offered for the hardtop... 1st Generation hardtops. There's no confusion. The 2nd Generation MINIs (like the R56) are completely different not only in appearance, but also in wiring & schematics. They don't even use the old BMW/MINI I-BUS system for communication. It's the new "MOST" system now, which I believe is based upon fiber optics.

Mark my words... the DPSM, as it stands, will never work in a 2nd Generation MINI, unless you jury-rig the entire thing (which is not a small feat). You don't even have an I-BUS controller in the car, to start with.

As for it being available in current convertibles... well... the current convertible is still 1st Generation. The 2nd Generation convertible won't be out until the 2009 model year.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 PM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
It has always been offered for the hardtop... 1st Generation hardtops. There's no confusion. The 2nd Generation MINIs (like the R56) are completely different not only in appearance, but also in wiring & schematics. They don't even use the old BMW/MINI I-BUS system for communication. It's the new "MOST" system now, which I believe is based upon fiber optics.

Mark my words... the DPSM, as it stands, will never work in a 2nd Generation MINI, unless you jury-rig the entire thing (which is not a small feat). You don't even have an I-BUS controller in the car, to start with.

As for it being available in current convertibles... well... the current convertible is still 1st Generation. The 2nd Generation convertible won't be out until the 2009 model year.
so that is why it disappeared in the 2007 config earlier this year. Damn it. had my eye on that for so damn long!

I saw your posting, BTW, on your retrofit. Did it get done? I didn't read thru it, but it seems there were issues, eh?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:56 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kevshootz
saw your posting, BTW, on your retrofit. Did it get done? I didn't read thru it, but it seems there were issues, eh?

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for participating, but the voting is now closed, and we have a winner in the "understatement of the year" category...

Bless his heart, Edge isn't having "issues", he's having subscriptions!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by kevshootz
so that is why it disappeared in the 2007 config earlier this year. Damn it. had my eye on that for so damn long!

I saw your posting, BTW, on your retrofit. Did it get done? I didn't read thru it, but it seems there were issues, eh?
If it was ever in the 2007 hardtop model year configurator, it was an error. Are you sure it wasn't the 2006 hardtop configurator that you saw it in?

If you want the DPSM that bad, you'll have to trade your MINI in for a 1st Gen model without the Harman/Kardon stereo (either hardtop or convertible)... or of course just keep your R56 buy a 1st Gen as a 2nd MINI.

As for my "stupidly impossibly crazy idea" H/K -> DPSM conversion, one glance at my signature will always answer that question.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Berthil
2nd Gear
I just got the DPSM 4 weeks ago. Now I'm really sure I will never buy a R56