R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Bottom door seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimcosi
I was provided a copy of the actual technical bulletin from MiniUSA (BMWNA).
Well at least we know why some have them and some don't. I wonder why they though they were important to have pre-8/07.

BTW Nimcosi I just noticed your location!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:57 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got mine today and I didnt have any seals...I didnt bother worrying about getting them because I have seen how they hold water and aid rust....so if MINI thinks its good, then its good for me haha

Old 10-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, I contacted my MA about it yesterday evening but haven't gotten a response back, so I'll probably just let it go. I'm going into the dealer sometime later this week or early next week to get those rubber disks attached to my rubber floor mats so that they stay in place. We'll see if he acknowledges my email then. I did notice a lot of water on my door sills last week after the heavy rain we got here. But if it's going to cause rust I'll definitely live without them.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
jw34
6th Gear
As mentioned somewhere else in the thread the rust problem with earlier models was not because of this strip on the door, rather the seal that goes around the whole door that's on the body itself.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:28 PM
JLLG
2nd Gear
For those who have read the service bulletin, does it mention anything about why the seal was removed? I am kind of mixed whether I would want them installed or not. They could trap sand and grit but on the other hand keep you door sills cleaner.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
...I'm going into the dealer sometime later this week or early next week to get those rubber disks attached to my rubber floor mats so that they stay in place...
I know it's off topic, but my floor mats don't stay in place either, what are the rubber disks?

Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattbren
I know it's off topic, but my floor mats don't stay in place either, what are the rubber disks?
They attach the mat to the floor. According to my MA they were supposed to be left in my glovebox (I guess he expected me to install them myself) but they're definitely not there. So when I go in to have the door seals installed I'm going to have the service department put those on as well. Thankfully my mats don't slide around too much, but enough to be annoying and possibly dangerous as they block the pedals.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
The Meal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JLLG
For those who have read the service bulletin, does it mention anything about why the seal was removed? I am kind of mixed whether I would want them installed or not. They could trap sand and grit but on the other hand keep you door sills cleaner.
My MA sent me an email insinuating that it was a mixup at the factory and that it was not intentional (which is at odds with the folks whose dealers were making them pay for the seals).

Originally Posted by The Meal
NRS> Will the car have door seals under the
NRS> driver and passenger door?
MA> we HOPE the car has lower door seals when
MA> it arrives from the factory however some have
MA> not just recently...I would expect that
MA> assembly line glitch will have been corrected
MA> by the tme we see your car
~Neal

Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 PM
<MINI>
2nd Gear
I was promised seals when I picked up my car a few weeks ago. I went back to the dealer on Saturday and was told they didn't have any so I dug a little deeper.
MINI apparently put out a memo regarding the seals that stated something along the lines of "MINI stopped using the seals and will not hand them out to customers any longer."
Because my sales rep had promised them to me, he walked me over to parts to check on the status of the seals. I pointed out the correct part to the parts guy and he said there are only 12 pieces in the country right now. He ordered mine, that leaves 10.
Go get 'em before there gone!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:42 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Here's the Service Bulletin if anyone wants to see it. I tried to get them put on this morning but was told they would charge me. I waas told this after waiting over an hour. The dealership ordered them for me weeks ago. They could have told me this up front . I paid $22 for them and took them with me. I'll put them on myself.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rvBulletin.pdf

Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
Here's the Service Bulletin if anyone wants to see it. I tried to get them put on this morning but was told they would charge me. I waas told this after waiting over an hour. The dealership ordered them for me weeks ago. They could have told me this up front . I paid $22 for them and took them with me. I'll put them on myself.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rvBulletin.pdf
I still don't understand why they stopped putting them on. Maybe it's some kind of contract or money issue or something.

Last edited by Spectral Glider; 11-30-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 AM
realblanka
2nd Gear
observation

For what it's worth, I stopped by the Mini NYC showroom and found that out of 4 cars total, there were 2 07' MCSs that had the door seals and 2 07' MCoopers (non s) that did NOT have it.

Could it be an mcs vs. mc issue?

Old 11-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It was just a design change. At my dealer some S's and some non-S's had them. All the ones with them were earlier builds.

After having my car a while, I don't really see a need for them. I have mud flaps, the sill is usually very clean without that seal. I have no wind noise issues either.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 AM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral Glider
I still don't understand why they stopped putting them on. Maybe it's some kind of contract or money issue or something.
My MCS built in January 07 has them. I suspect the reason they stopped putting them on is because they don't do anything. When I drive in rain I end up with water all over the door sills and the car wash leaves the entire door sill covered with soap.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM
realblanka
2nd Gear
Has anyone come up with a decent DIY solution to prevent water from getting in? Seems silly that Mini kinda just gave up on this without providing an alternate fix. I know they're not luxury cars, but can't we at least drive without having to worry about water getting in?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:49 AM
<MINI>
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mattbren
My MCS built in January 07 has them. I suspect the reason they stopped putting them on is because they don't do anything. When I drive in rain I end up with water all over the door sills and the car wash leaves the entire door sill covered with soap.
Now that I have them, the above is completely true. They seem to do nothing, except fill the empty holes.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Originally Posted by realblanka
Has anyone come up with a decent DIY solution to prevent water from getting in? Seems silly that Mini kinda just gave up on this without providing an alternate fix. I know they're not luxury cars, but can't we at least drive without having to worry about water getting in?
if you look at the door there is a place for water to drain. water gets into the door anyway when it rains from the where the window goes up and down.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:08 PM
aem421
4th Gear
Just wanted to let you guys know that I installed the rubber strips today. It took about 30 seconds for both doors. It was that easy. I definitely notice a difference. I can tell that the door closes a lot tighter. I have the JCW Aero kit so maybe the side skirts make the difference. I'll post an update when I actually drive the car on the highway and/or in the rain. Stay tuned

Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Yeah, keep us informed. Thanks for posting the bulletin too. It probably came out because all of asking were asking for them! Bummer you had to pay.

Last edited by jw34; 12-01-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by <MINI>
I was promised seals when I picked up my car a few weeks ago. I went back to the dealer on Saturday and was told they didn't have any so I dug a little deeper.
MINI apparently put out a memo regarding the seals that stated something along the lines of "MINI stopped using the seals and will not hand them out to customers any longer."
Because my sales rep had promised them to me, he walked me over to parts to check on the status of the seals. I pointed out the correct part to the parts guy and he said there are only 12 pieces in the country right now. He ordered mine, that leaves 10.
Go get 'em before there gone!

This post was made on 11/5 today is Dec 1 - got a call from my dealer today, My seals just came in - That 10 count must have grown

Old 12-01-2007, 08:07 PM
shanek
1st Gear
My MC doesn't have these rubber seals. Not sure what I should do. To install them or to leave it as is?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by harley0711
This post was made on 11/5 today is Dec 1 - got a call from my dealer today, My seals just came in - That 10 count must have grown
My week 45 build did not have the seals... MINI of Fairfield County ordered them and they came in a couple of days ago, no charge.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Halifax
My week 45 build did not have the seals... MINI of Fairfield County ordered them and they came in a couple of days ago, no charge.
When I took delivery of my car I brought pictures from here and a part number for the seals. I haven't checked to see if they ever came in. The missing seal was noted at delivery on their checklist.

I don't really think I need the seal. My car has no wind noise issues. Mini doesn't think they are needed.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:13 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
My Build date on the door is 12/06 what "build week" is that? Anyhow I have the seals. And when washing my car/rain, water is on the door sill but its not that bad. It's not affecting anything just wipe it down when drying the car.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Just as an update, I did get a chance to drive the car in the rain. There was considerably less water on my door sills after I installed the rubber strips. They made a huge difference. There is also way less air noise now from the bottom of the door. Well worth the $22 I spent.

Quick Reply: R56 Bottom door seal