R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To Buy or Order?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:46 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Buy or Order?

So I can almost taste it. My M3 has a lot of offers... I just need to chose the buyer.

So... my dilemma. Buy off the lot (I have about 5 dealers in a 200 mile radius to choose)... or order?

There are a couple of MCS that are 95% what I would order... but given all the buzz about 3:2 squeel, clutch probs, tranny probs, squeeky dashes etc... is there an build date that is south of the mendoza line? I mean... are the cars that are currently being built have some of the fixes and when were those updates put in place? I dont want to buy a *for example* mar 2007 MCS if I knew that may 2007 included some fixes.

-s

Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
for a slightly different reason, order it, and get exactly what you want...

The wait, will make you appriciate the car more.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:31 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
... and another reason to order, break-in guidelines are not always followed during test drives. You won't know how your car from inventory has been driven.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The R56 has been a work-in-progress. Features that are available now weren't available a month or so ago. The same was true in March when I ordered. No MINIs had yet arrived with a NAV, nor were there any MCSa around to test drive.

The same is true with problems. They crop up and get dealt with. I believe there have been a number of software updates. There is no one date to aim at.

Also, agonizing over which features to get, ordering, and waiting make up a right of passage for a true POOM (Person Obsessed Over MINIs). Owning a MINI just isn't quite as much fun without going through the ritual.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:38 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pastabatman
... and another reason to order, break-in guidelines are not always followed during test drives. You won't know how your car from inventory has been driven.
VERY good point. Order and get what you want, and ensure that it hasn't been horsebeaten by test drivers!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:41 PM
soul embrace
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
VERY good point. Order and get what you want, and ensure that it hasn't been horsebeaten by test drivers!
yea someone on here posted that he test drove a MCS and ran the RPMs all the way up in the 7,000 when the car shouldn't be taken above 4,500 till 1200 miles (hate to be the one that bought that car off the lot). if you order it you will know it was done right during the break in period.

order and get the car you want, other wise you might miss the one option that you want that is not on the car you found on the lot.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 PM
andyde
5th Gear
I stepped into my dealership to order the car when one on the lot caught my eye. I ended up taking more options and compromised on two others; I have not regret the purchase so in the end; it all boils down to what is really important to you.

Some important questions:
1. Are you ready to sell your M3?
2. if your M3 sells quickly, do you have another vehicle to drive around until the Cooper gets here?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought one "now" - it had everything I would have ordered, less the cold weather package, which I can easily do without since I live south of the Mason-Dixon Line. I didn't have to wait 10-12 weeks, which is what I was told the wait would be if I ordered. I have no regrets.

Where are you? Most dealer's current inventories are listed on their websites, which you can find by going to Mini USA's home site.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:53 PM
ucbrother
4th Gear
I searched and searched and searched again to find the combination that I wanted. My dealership didn't have it, nor did its "sister" dealership. Then I had the sales manager do a nationwide search (plus I did my own) and couldn't find one with exactly what I wanted. Then, when I had just about decided to "settle" for one that was close like you, someone dropped into my dealership and bought it out from under me right when it came in (a previous order someone backed out on) before I could move on it. As it turns out, I'm glad it happened now because I ended up ordering and getting exactly what I wanted with the money I was willing to spend. Even though I endured several delays, I am absolutely esctatic about my selections. I love my car! It was built for me and only me.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:57 PM
ucbrother
4th Gear
Mini of Dallas only uses designated test drive vehicles. The inventory on the lot is not used for this purpose. Check your local dealership's policy.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:51 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
MOP

^ very true...

All you MA MINI owners who went to MOP to test drive an R56 S drove the LaB/ W w/ the Coop Vinyls... and looked like a goof all over West Peabody (no offense to lighting bolt owners, it just looks silly on LaB) That car has over 3k miles on it last I heard, and ALL test drives. I bought off the overflow lot, and the only miles on the car were from the guy driving it to the dealership. If I waited any longer on my old car, It would have been worthless (it had 90k miles on it). I had speced a car, and they found one in my color w/ the packages I wanted. SOOOOO long story short, if they have one you like GO FOR IT!!! But don't comprimise if you have the luxury of being able to wait.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Scoobywrx
3rd Gear
True

Old 08-18-2007, 09:31 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ucbrother
Mini of Dallas only uses designated test drive vehicles. The inventory on the lot is not used for this purpose. Check your local dealership's policy.
He's right. I bought mine of the lot and it had 2 miles on it (Scottsdale). The inventory cars for sale were not being driven, they were packed like sardines in the back lot. I forgave heated seats but got everything else I wanted and drove her away in 3 hours. There's something to be said for instant gratification!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:22 AM
miniviper
2nd Gear
When I picked up my 06 mcs my ma said to drive it as fast as I wanted to; just not to use the cruise control or drive without varying the speed! I drove the p**s out of it 400 miles home with my wife following in our 740. It will smoke the tires all the way through first gear and chirp them in second; all with lsd. (limited slip not the drug)! The car doesn't use any oil and runs like it's hell-bent. Absolutely none of the problems some of you report having with yours. One of my other cars is a Viper so I tend to have a lead foot. Run 'em hard; they can take it!!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:05 AM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the replies...

I have at least one buyer for my car... and someone came yesterday over 300 miles to look at it. He ended up staying for 5 hours to look over the car and then we ended up getting some beers and talking rides. I'm pretty sure he's going to buy as the money was not really a problem (must be nice huh).

So, I dont really mind "settling" for a couple options not on my list... as I can surely change out the color line, add arm rest, fogs etc as long as the big items are there. Again, if I have to, ill rent a car for 2 months while mine is being built. So it looks like it will happen next weekend is my guess.

cant wait.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:21 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
If you have the money I'd say don't do the waiting thing. I had to wait forever and I don't ever want to do it ever never again! I wanted a stripper but there was none available at the dealership and I waited over 3 months for her. She was worth the wait but it would have been better if I could have bought her the same day.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 AM
PHX ATC
3rd Gear
Order it. That's what I did. It's not right or wrong, but the most correct decision for us her at our house.

I built 4 different versions of our car over a 2 week period and had only one option that I wasn't sure of (white turn signals). That way, I can only complain to myself if it has something I don't use or doesn't have something I want.

Besides, you can say that you built that car to your specs, not some glassy eyed computer geek ordering cars from the dealer!