R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hot Bonnet

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Bonnet

Hi everyone. I joined NAM just after ordering my Mini at the end of June. I've been reading the '07 posts to keep up with the various issues owners have been experiencing.

I've had my Lightning Blue MCS for just over a week now. Does anyone know if the dealer can adjust how long the fan runs after key out? The bonnet does get very hot once the car is off. I'd like to be able to set a timer or desired temperature for the fan to run.

If not, is anyone using any supplemental cooling to address this issue?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Welcome to NAM. I see you're from MD as am I. What part?

Coming from owning a WRX, the bonnet getting hot is typical with a turbo car. I'm pretty sure you can't adjust how long the fans stay on after you shut the engine off. My Grand National was the same way and it was black, so it got even hotter in the summer. I wouldn't worry about it. It's very typical for a turbo car.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the fan is already temperature driven and it's the heat of the engine, not the bonnet, that matters. Sometimes my fan runs for a few seconds, sometimes for maybe a minute, sometimes not at all, so it clearly isn't a fixed timer.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
My first R56 had a short run time on the coolant circulation after shut-down; my replacement car runs alot longer and is cooler as a result. Not sure if they can program your car but clues lead me to believe that it's very possible.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=104807
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=108615
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=109714

Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
aem421 - North of B'more up in Bel Air. Ordered it from Mini of Towson.

I think the bonnet temp is on the high side. Based on other '07 threads, it sounds like they have changed the design of the hood scoop by opening every other hole, which should help the heat escape once the car is off.

I was hoping for a more active cooling solution. I might have to build a timing circuit that can activate/power the cooling fan for 5 minutes once the car is off...naaah

... or I can just wait for Mini to address it if it's actually causing skin burns or paint and engine damage.

For now during the summer months, I have a little desktop fan that sits on the floor of the garage to cool her off when I get home from work .

Old 08-08-2007, 11:27 AM
aem421
4th Gear
I'm down in Columbia. I must say, I also park my car in the garage, and my WRX also got very hot. I never had a problem with the paint or the decals I had on the hood/bonnet. I had the car for 5 years and no problems whatsoever. I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Also, this thing with the wiper fluid leaking out has got me a little anxious. If mine starts doing that I'm going to be pissed. I've never had a turbo car do that before.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Mine is definitely weeping out of both hood wiper jets:impatient.

Arnbut - What did the dealer do to address you weeping wash jets?

Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
driverphil
3rd Gear
Got a garage? Park it with the bonnet up.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
driverPhil,

I do have a garage, but I find that an unacceptable solution for a design flaw that Mini/BMW should address.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
There is no design flaw. Engines get hot. Turbos get hotter.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Yes, but Mini-S turbo engines get so hot (after turned off) that wiper fluid weeps from the washer jets due to thermal expansion??

...which is due to a design flaw of insufficient engine cooling after shutdown.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
minifiddler
3rd Gear
my fiance drives a gti- when we go to the track of on really hot days... he has a little trick involvong the ac....somthin like- let it sit a minute... then turn the car on and run the ac for a min... then turn the car off but let the fans run for a minute... then turn it off again... i think it goes like that... : )
bu yes turbos are very hot...

Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Arnbut - What did the dealer do to address you weeping wash jets?
Told me to get a towel.
They say that the jets aren't weeping; they say that there is some rain water left over around the jet and that residual cosmolene is leaching out with it.
It's a joke, really.
The old car (the Flying Squirrel) got so hot that the washers actually were squirting hot water out in a weak stream about an inch long.
The new car (Arthur, King of the Britons) runs much cooler and only a little seepage is going on.

When possible I do pop the bonnet. I did that at track day and it helps cool the beast much more quickly.

Last edited by Arnbut; 08-08-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
So my little desktop fan on the garage floor isn't such a bad idea after all.

I'm not as concerned in the parking lot at work, as there is some sort of breeze/air movement.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
garage fan

No doubt turbo cars get real real hot. For my 1986 Porsche Turbo, I always let it warm up slowly, and made sure I was not into the turbo for a couple miles before I got home.

Additionally, I mounted a medium size industrial fan at bumper height (so it would blow into the radiator and draw air under the car).

I believe this is one of the main reasons why that car went 250k miles on the original turbo and didnt ever have compression problems or leaks. The turbo starting eating a little Mobil 1 later in life but pulled strong to the end (when I sold it). This car also had a factory aux electric water pump that circulated water around the turbo similar to the MCS. I believe it was one of the first factory cars to do this. However, most all 944t turbos lives were much shorter than mine. So, I am a HUGE advocate for a garage fan and intelligent cool down cycles.

Most people disagree with these extra steps but have no data to back it. Subaru also used to have a process written on the visor to cool the car down and warm it up for up to 5 minutes... of course they yanked that info later as it appeared as their cars were not designed correctly. So I would not totally trust what the manual says as common practice. Also, this is BMWs new foray back into turbo motors... and we know that the 335s are overheating and already have recalls for a free external oil coolers.

-s

Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Yes, but Mini-S turbo engines get so hot (after turned off) that wiper fluid weeps from the washer jets due to thermal expansion??

...which is due to a design flaw of insufficient engine cooling after shutdown.
I have an S and my wipers don't weep. My fan runs as required.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
LynnEl - Do you use your front windsheild washers. Since the bonnet is radiating the heat that is ratiating from the turbo, the water line running along the bonnet would heat up the most. If your wiper tubing is dry due to lack of use, you wouldn't experience the problem (most likely).

Arnbut - What has the SA been able to do regarding the warm floorboard?

BMW should team up with Hasbro and market the footwell heat issue as the new "Easy-Bake-Oven" option. That way they can actually sell it as a feature. ...just kidding!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:30 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I have an S and my wipers don't weep.

Lucky punk. I got seepage from all 3 of mine.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:35 PM
elmalloc
2nd Gear
my jet blackb mw 330cic runs its radiator fan for a few minutes after vigorous driving, I lift the hood to help it out - but it's simply a feature of fast cars, get used to it unless you like honda civic 4 cylinder from 1997.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't noticed weeping washer jets either.

I do think it will be easy to cook on top of the turbo engine. There is a cookbook for such a feat--Manifold Destiny. I will try it on my next long-distance trip!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 PM
elmalloc
2nd Gear
ur kidding

Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Nope. We tried it on a rental van in Canada a couple of years ago, but the engine didn't get hot enough to cook quickly. We did have some success on non-meat cooking, though.

The MINI would be a cinch. Just a matter of finding nooks and crannies to put the food into (well wrapped in foil, of course). Takes about an hour or two for an entree, and you're ready to eat when you're at your destination or a rest stop.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Arnbut - What has the SA been able to do regarding the warm floorboard?
Mini/BMW has it under investigation in England.

Like I said, it's just annoying (right now). I believe that the engine metulurgy will support temps in excess of 400 degrees without damage.
The Flying Squirrel began to emit fuel vapors and was giving random electronic anomolies before her demise though... ...so I believe we're approaching danger for other items when the engine bay creeps over 300 degrees.

It's just a machine and it's got a warranty. It's really fun to drive.
If Mini/BMW can't sort it out, I'll swap it in the future for something that works.
I really like this car though and I hope it's finally something that I can keep 'til it's a classic. Like I should've kept my '77 280-Z...

Time will tell.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by elmalloc
ur kidding
Shrimp Scampi takes a Parkland, FL to Miami International Airport drive in a Crown Victoria (1996 4.6L) to cook on the injector plenum.

Yes, he's serious.

Don't try it on a 351W with carbs unless you have a fire extinguisher in the car. They have nice aluminum foil bags at Walmart that work.
And don't overcook the shrimp; it gets chewy.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Yes, he's serious.
Hey, I'm a she!

Quick Reply: R56 Hot Bonnet