R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NOOOOOO!!! (R56 vs Jeep Commander)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOOOOOO!!! (R56 vs Jeep Commander)

So I got off my 24 hour shift, sat in an hour of Boston traffic, and this happens right outside my apartment. I was behind a Jeep Commander, waiting to pull into the garage. The door opened, she threw it in reverse and FLOORED IT !!! Almost like she was gunning for it. Sure, it was an accident, but it was also BRAND NEW!!! So now I get to wait "2 to 4" days to hear from an adjuster, so he can tell me "Yep. It's messed up." Then I can have it towed to an "approved" body shop. THEN it can be fixed. WTF!?!?!?!?!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 AM
minijon
2nd Gear
That sucks. Sorry you have to go through this hassle. Glad to hear everyone is safe though.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that. At least you werent on the highway. On the brighter side it looks like most of the damage is external panels/ wheel/ light, that are easily replaced. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:30 AM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
That sucks..What body shop are you planning on getting it fixed at?

Old 08-02-2007, 07:31 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Ouch!!!

Time to ask for an aero kit.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the other driver's insurance company delays due to making the liability decision (they can't do that until their driver calls them and gives a statement, other things may delay it as well)... then you can always pursue it against your own policy's collision coverage.

When the other company accepts liability, assuming they will, your insurance company will subrogate against them and get their money back and your deductible.

Sorry for the loss... sucks.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Old 08-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Hogtied
4th Gear
There's something very wrong about that..

You should have rolled out of your car onto the concrete, yelling, "Ow!, ow!, my neck!..my neck!.. I can't feel my feet..!" Remember, "pain and suffering", might just cover that JCW aero kit mentioned above..

I gotta ask, did she have a cell phone glued to her ear?..

Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aznqtboy984
That sucks..What body shop are you planning on getting it fixed at?
I don't know yet... they are supposed to send me a list of "approved" body shops (otherwise they won't guaranty the work, and I will also end up paying the difference). Hoping to see someone with MINI/ BMW experience. Anyone know of any Boston-area shops???

Originally Posted by Hogtied
I gotta ask, did she have a cell phone glued to her ear?..
She had been on the phone prior to the accident. Whether or not she still was I honestly can't say.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Rockies
1st Gear
Wow, that would kill me to see that happen to my baby. Talk about dead from the neck up, who the heck does that?

Hope the repair is quick and the insurance hassle is as painless as possible.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
Pardon my 60's lingo but man, what a bummer! Did you have meaningful dialogue with the other driver? On the positive side, you aren't broken (other than temporarily emotionally) and the MINI will again be looking real good real soon.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
Sorry to hear of your trouble. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon.
Art

Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 AM
rooandren
6th Gear
Egads, that stinks. Fortunatley for myself, I don't have any local bodyshop suggestions.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Pav
2nd Gear
Ouch! Good to hear no one was injured (except your chili)...

Tragic ... stupid SUV's

Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 AM
mrweasel
3rd Gear
Why? Why? Why?
Is someone out to get our R56s?

I had my body work done at the Mini Dealer. After the fact they said it would have benn faster if it was an "approved" shop. Since when is the dealer not an "approved shop".

I think we need to start a support group for R56 accident vicitims.

Good luck with the repairs and hopefully you'll have your baby back soon

Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chili_red07
I don't know yet... they are supposed to send me a list of "approved" body shops (otherwise they won't guaranty the work, and I will also end up paying the difference).
Their "approved" body shops are simply shops in their program that do estimates for them.

Don't let that deter you from picking the shop YOU want. All that means is, the insurance company's estimator will have to see your car. But the estimate they prepare for you should be accepted by any reputable body shop.

If they begin work and find other damage, they'll have the estimator come back out and it will also be covered.

As far as the guarantee of the work.... yes, "their" shops do that but so does any other reputable shop.

Bottom line: yes, it might be EASIER to deal with a shop in the insurance company's program. But most importantly, take the MINI to the shop YOU want, whether it's in their program or not.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
UPDATE

Thanks for all your input, folks. And yes, I agree there should be an R56 Accident Support Thread. I decided to go with Herb Chambers MINI in Boston. I spoke with them on the phone, and she said they have done many claims with my insurance company. They also do BMW, Benz, Porsche, and have extensive work in MINIs so hopefully my car is in good hands. She also stated that they always work for whatever the claim states, so that is reassuring (financially). As I type, a tow truck is on the way. I'll keep everyone posted...

Old 08-02-2007, 08:52 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw this happen at a bank drive through once...the car was just not in the right gear!!! Frankly...I sometimes worry about getting into reverse accidently in my R56 since R is right next to 1st. On my R50 reverse was all the way to the right, so it was never a concern.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
ahh SHHHHIIIII___TTTTTTT!!!!!

But I must say, I LOVE that white trim around your scoop, that looks sharp. Did you install that, is it vinyl?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 AM
jrh0558
2nd Gear
She had been on the phone prior to the accident. Whether or not she still was I honestly can't say.
Wrong answer, it should go something like this:

"Yes officer, she was defiantly on her cell phone at the time, so it clearly calls for an inattentive driving citation. Oh and by the way, have I complimented you one your quick response to the scene of the accident?”

Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
memphis9k
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I saw this happen at a bank drive through once...the car was just not in the right gear!!! Frankly...I sometimes worry about getting into reverse accidently in my R56 since R is right next to 1st. On my R50 reverse was all the way to the right, so it was never a concern.
i saw something like this happen except it was on the highway!! (880 SB) in heavy traffic.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
I'll take anything at this point

Originally Posted by Birdman
But I must say, I LOVE that white trim around your scoop, that looks sharp. Did you install that, is it vinyl?
Well thank you! Yes I installed it, and yes it is Vinyl. Check my gallery for pre- SUV fight pics. It is from Aesthetic Creations. It is the GP vinyl. It was relatively easy to install, and I think it makes the car unique. It comes is a few colors too, if you're interested. Hopefully they can fix the hood, as opposed to replace it, so I can keep the vinyl, and not have to get a new one and do it again.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:08 AM
old81
M6
Now that is a nasty shame, sorry you got hit. Some good points made by others. Don't settle for 2nd best on the repair. On the wheel and tire replacement, make sure they replace both not just the wheel and push for a 2nd tire so your wear is even on two tires.

As CR&PW&JB said, you can take the MINI where you want. In most states insurance regulations prevent the insurance company from forcing you to use a certain repair shop, they can suggest. If they do deny payment or make you pay more than your deductable, call your insurance commission. But it appears you have selected a repair shop, so good luck.

Pain and Suffering from MINI withdrawal might not be a claimable item.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
I don't know yet... they are supposed to send me a list of "approved" body shops (otherwise they won't guaranty the work, and I will also end up paying the difference). Hoping to see someone with MINI/ BMW experience. Anyone know of any Boston-area shops???
There's www.sublimerestoration.com It's not close to boston, but I heard it's good

Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow!

That sucks! Here in CA, they can't do that because then they could set-up sweetheart kick-back deals! In CA, you can take it to any body shop, and if it costs more, the insuracne pays the difference right to the shop.

But I'm sure none of that matters to you.... Bummer for the accident. Glad it's only the car that's damaged. Hope the hassles of repairs isn't too painful!

Matt

Quick Reply: R56 NOOOOOO!!! (R56 vs Jeep Commander)