R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cooper S: Dynamic Stability Control and Ltd Slip Differential - are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:07 PM
GlobalCitizen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper S: Dynamic Stability Control and Ltd Slip Differential - are they worth it?

Hi All -

I'm about to purchase a 2007 Cooper S; however, I wanted to get feedback on Dynamic Stability Control and Limited Slip Differential options.

In speaking with the dealer that I am working with he says that not many customers go with these options. I'm not sure how much this is true so wanted to get input on the pros and cons of these two options and whether they are really worth getting.

Thanks!

Mark

Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by GlobalCitizen
Hi All -

I'm about to purchase a 2007 Cooper S; however, I wanted to get feedback on Dynamic Stability Control and Limited Slip Differential options.

In speaking with the dealer that I am working with he says that not many customers go with these options. I'm not sure how much this is true so wanted to get input on the pros and cons of these two options and whether they are really worth getting.

Thanks!

Mark
I would say definitely yes on DSC. DSC adds in Hill Assist if it's a manual transmission in addition to the features of DSC itself. If you have a lot of inclement weather in your area, DSC is a must have.

LSD, now, that depends on how you plan on driving the Mini. My wife has an automatic and I've ordered an automatic so I can't say from first hand experience but many here on NAM have indicated that it isn't all that usefull unless you plan on running it at a track.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:41 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I didn't order either. 10 years ago there were no DSC on my cars and I survived so decided to save some money. I would have gotten both if I had a better paying job. I would have also gotten Xenon, homelink, leather seats, JWC body kit, and etc..

Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LSD totally worth it for $500 cause of all that low end torque.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GlobalCitizen
Hi All -

Thanks!

Mark
I think both are worthwhile on an MCS. DSC is a safety feature. It can save your a$$ in an emergency situation. There have been insurance studies that have shown it to be more effective at lowering accident rates than ABS. In a few years it will be mandatory on all cars.

The '07 MCS has a lot of torque. Getting that to ground can be a problem in front wheel drive cars. In my '90 Integra I would often squeak the tires starting at a stop light (slippery paint stripes at the intersection) or turning right from a stop. The Integra has much less torque that the MCS. I don't have this problem with my LSD equipped MCS. Perhaps ASC will cover it, but that controls things by braking the spinning wheel. LSD sends power to the wheel that has grip.

If you get LSD from the factory it is $500. If you wanted to add it later it would be much much more. I don't think you can add DSC later.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Also, DSC includes a hill assist feature. When you are on a hill -- clutch in and brake pedal holding you -- release the brake to put your foot on the gas and the brake will hold for a couple of seconds to prevent it from rolling backwards. It works quite well.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 AM
BigSky
6th Gear
In a word...YES!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:55 AM
minikimme
2nd Gear
I ordered both with my new car after my hubby did some research. I haven't gotten the car yet so I can't say if it is worth it or not. I would say it probably is...JMO

Old 07-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
'Worth it' is always subjective, but if I were buying new I'd get both. $500 is cheap for an LSD, and $500 for DSC is insurance that you only pay for once.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:32 AM
glangford
6th Gear
DSC a definite yes. I have a MC not MCS and still think DSC is worth the money.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:48 AM
mozzarella
Banned
yep on both

Old 07-19-2007, 04:21 AM
key_lime_hamster
2nd Gear
DSC is theoretically useful (it is a FWD car that is very forgiving), but the LSD is very useful on the Cooper S. i have to navigate a lot of very short onramps and get up to 55mph immediately or risk getting run over by trafffic and the LSD kicks in in dry weather.

i'd hate to think what would happen on slick roads trying to merge with traffic.

it's $500 well spent. in the snow, for example, when ASC and DSC will basically kill engine power to prevent wheelspin, you will find yourself in situations where you'll want to kill DSC totally and get through the deeper snow with your limited slip diff.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:46 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I am happy to have ordered both -- partly for snow, ice, mud, and rain, but the DSC mainly for hill assist, and that aspect is an obvious plus every day.

For example, yesterday in Kansas City I was starting in reverse from a steeply sloped parking lot. There was a tall concrete barrier about 2 feet from my front bumper. DSC kept the brakes on while I operated gas and clutch. Then it released after the car started to move.

Stopped at a light, going uphill on an incline in traffic, with that familiar pickup or SUV waiting just off my bumper, DSC frequently saves my clutch and my nerves.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
I have just the DSC. Wish I had LSD.
Tire spinnie torque-steer whoa happens, even when it's not raining.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 AM
1QukMINI
6th Gear
Would at minimum go for the DSC. It works.
jason

Old 07-19-2007, 06:15 AM
Pistobah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
I didn't order either. 10 years ago there were no DSC on my cars and I survived so decided to save some money.
I agree for the most part.
I went with LSD for trudging through the snow though.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Man, that selective quoatation totally changes what R56 said. Are you a reporter? 30 years ago, they didn't have child car seats and whole bunch of things they got now. Civil War soldiers didn't have automatic weaposn or even camo. Some of them survived, too. R56 said he didn't have the money to spend. That's a whole different matter than rationalizing that because you managed to survive without before, it's not worth getting.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Pistobah
1st Gear
Nope not a reporter. Just an engineer.
I was just tryin to say that i too wanted to keep the price low, so I opted out of the DSC. Since i have never owned a car with DSC I didn't see a need for it.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I've posted links

to studies on the benefits of DSC. I will get it on every street car I ever purchase, as that stats show it would be stupid not to.

LSD is a good one too, but wasn't available in 02! Boo hoo!

Matt

Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 AM
LadyAquila
2nd Gear
Like many others here, I agree that DSC is a must...great safety feature.

LSD is more important if you plan on driving your S agressively. (And who can honestly say that they wont? )

I ended up getting a Cooper instead of an S, so it was not an option (or necessary, really), but I had it spec'ed out on the S model I was considering.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:16 AM
aem421
4th Gear
I got both. LSD is a must. I definitely wanted Xenon headlights and 17" wheels so I just added the Sport Pkg and got DSC included. I mean, an extra $500 bumps your payment up like, what, $7 or something. Go for it!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 AM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
I'm not sure how well the software on the DSC has changed over the years, but in my 2003, I have never, ever kept my DSC on. Even with the application of moderate power, the engine kills it's own power output. I hate it. Don't hesitate to get the LSD...it's nothing but goodness at a fair price.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Deja Vu!

We are about to enter the "DSC Zone"! No need to adjust your telivision....

The horse has been beeten on this one. Well past death....

Matt

Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 AM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
We are about to enter the "DSC Zone"! No need to adjust your telivision....

The horse has been beeten on this one. Well past death....

Matt

Hey, that's ok Matt... it takes time to try and sift through all 8,000 previous threads on this subject. I'm just trying to help out the new guys/girls!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Anthony S
1st Gear
after experiencing the

torque steer on my auto, I would say definitely yes on the LSD. DSC, absolutley.

Quick Reply: R56 Cooper S: Dynamic Stability Control and Ltd Slip Differential - are they worth it?