R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Premium Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Premium Gas?

Do the new MCS's use Premium, or can they get by using Regular gas? As we all know, there's quite a bit of difference in price.

Thanks,

Old 06-25-2007, 05:20 AM
Pav
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Hogtied,

I would check out this thread - I found it to be informative.

I can't speak for myself one the subject: I'm still waiting for my R56!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=104337

Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 AM
Hogtied
4th Gear
That'll work.. thanks much.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:43 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
MINIs have a fairly smart onboard computer. It will switch air/fuel maps and retard ignition timing to work with a variety of fuels. But, using less than 93 octane will cause the car to go into a lower performance mode. It's a couple bucks per tank to use 93, and since every fillup in my MINI has been more than previous ones (recently about $42) I am not going to worry about it.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:00 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Word has also been that MINIs actually get better mileage using the good stuff. If that's so might lessen the sting of a fill-up.

Last edited by gokartride; 06-25-2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: k?....d?....what's the difference???
Old 06-25-2007, 02:03 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hogtied
Do the new MCS's use Premium, or can they get by using Regular gas? As we all know, there's quite a bit of difference in price.

Thanks,

YES, and if you didn't want to run Premium you should've got a different car.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:13 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Putz
don't sugar coat it!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:19 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
don't sugar coat it!

I never do.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:21 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by z3bum
But, using less than 93 octane will cause the car to go into a lower performance mode. It's a couple bucks per tank to use 93, and since every fillup in my MINI has been more than previous ones (recently about $42) I am not going to worry about it.
Do you mean 91 octane, or do the new engines actually require 93?

Old 06-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Since most cars will get better mileage out of premium gas the difference in using lower octane gas is negligable. For my MC it only saves me less than $2 over the ~$3.24 premium. Not worth it to not use premium.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
old81
M6
91 or 93

Originally Posted by chrisneal
Do you mean 91 octane, or do the new engines actually require 93?
Some States only have 91 as premium. The high altitude formulation in Colorado is 91. Some MINI owners put in the street octane boost available at various auto stores. I think the R56 as well all MINIs have pretty good computers, so they adjust. If I had excessive pinging I might try Octane boost or go see my service department.

I would love to get some Chevron or Shell 93 into my MCSa, but I fill with Conoco or Phillips 66 (91) and try to hit a high-volume station so I know the gas is relatively fresh.

To answer your question without the blah, blah, blah. 91 or 93 is good.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Well thank you, Mr. Putz (now there's an appropriate name if I've ever seen one). Actually, until last week I had a different car, a 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback, and it happily got 39+ MPG on the highway, and over 34 in town - oh, and 87 octane was fine.

But it ain't a Mini...

I was merely asking a question.. oh, and I haven't "got" then car yet.. but I am supposed to pick it up Friday.. with a full tank of 93 Octane gas, I'm sure.

Last edited by Hogtied; 06-25-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:40 PM
old81
M6
Hogtied

Enjoy your MINI when you get it. Put the best gas you can find in it and if you stay off the peddle you will get some really good gas mileage. In my first 500+ miles I have been getting an average of 30+ with a mix of city, fast highway and mountain driving.

Now if I can keep my foot out of it and observe the break-in rpm limit, I may do better.

Welcome to MINI ownership.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Welcome to MINI ownership.
Thanks, Don.. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:46 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Well thank you, Mr. Putz (now there's an appropriate name if I've ever seen one). Actually, until last week I had a different car, a 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback, and it happily got 39+ MPG on the highway, and over 34 in town - oh, and 87 octane was fine.

But it ain't a Mini...

I was merely asking a question.. oh, and I haven't "got" then car yet.. but I am supposed to pick it up Friday.. with a full tank of 93 Octane gas, I'm sure.

Sorry but when everyone and there mom ask this question without doing a search or looking in the owners manul it gets alittle old. I hate it when people complain about 91 octane being so much more. LOOK if you can't aford the look don't buy the car.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:24 PM
lucyl
2nd Gear

But it ain't a Mini...

I had a 07 Yaris liftback too before getting my MINI. Was using 87 octane and got about 36+. However it was totally worth to pay for higher octane gas for more power and close to the same mpg, about 31+ on my MCSa.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Sorry but when everyone and there mom ask this question without doing a search or looking in the owners manul it gets alittle old. I hate it when people complain about 91 octane being so much more. LOOK if you can't aford the look don't buy the car.
Putzman.. My mom passed away 10 years ago (RIP, mom..), so you won't be getting any stupid questions from her.. Me, on the other hand, no guarantees..

Have you ever considered spelling lessons?.. You might think about it.

You obviously missed my post above where I said I don't have the car yet.. so looking in the owners manual wasn't an option. And please point out in any post from me above where I complained about 91 Octane being so much more.. Go ahead, I'll wait...

If it's a little old to you, then that's fine.. You might try to realize that as long as there is a Mini forum/forums, members will have to deal with new Mini owners asking repetitive questions, it's sorta what forums are about. If it's old for you, try not to feel so compelled to post a response. You'll find that it will reduce your stress levels immensely.. I ain't a rookie at this, I know when it's to best to stay out of it.

As far as being able to afford the car, my financial status is none of your business. I might be using food stamps to buy it, I might be selling crack at the local day care center, hell, I might even have a pretty decent job.. whichever it is, it ain't nunna yo bidniss.

Thanks for all the help,.. you have a nice day, Mr. Putz..

Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lucyl
I had a 07 Yaris liftback too before getting my MINI. Was using 87 octane and got about 36+. However it was totally worth to pay for higher octane gas for more power and close to the same mpg, about 31+ on my MCSa.
You stole those words from my lips.. I cannot wait to bring that little rascal to the house. Same car, too.. I really like the 6-spd auto..

Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate it when people complain about 91 octane being so much more.
Griping about, and facination with, gas prices seems to have become a national pasttime and fodder for a good deal of "small talk" these day. It's like discussing the weather, or American Idol, or something....along with the quest to find the cheapest gas in town, wherever that may be.

I never participate, and I recommend new MINI owners reset their thinking about all this, too, in spite of the current trend in popular culture. I buy "top tier" and I buy the 93 octane and I never look back. I refuse to scrimp on the MINI.

BTW, did you hear Mike Cooper's interview about producing an ultra-clean/efficient petrol MINI??

Old 06-25-2007, 05:07 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
If it's a little old to you, then that's fine.. You might try to realize that as long as there is a Mini forum/forums, members will have to deal with new Mini owners asking repetitive questions, it's sorta what forums are about. If it's old for you, try not to feel so compelled to post a response. You'll find that it will reduce your stress levels immensely.. I ain't a rookie at this, I know when it's to best to stay out of it.
I would offer the point of view that searching the forums for answers to any questions you may have may deliver benefits more quickly than posting without regard to what has come before. As you said, it is a forum, so it does have "institutional memory." Efforts are made to help new members of the forums by stickying the most frequently asked questions. In this case, the topic of premium gas has been stickied in the 1st Gear forum but not the R56 forum.

In any event, the generic subject of "x has been discussed already, why can't you just search the forums" has already been discussed. Hope the wait for your new MINI passes by quickly!

Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM
old81
M6
Yo gokartride!

Originally Posted by gokartride
clip clip

I never participate, and I recommend new MINI owners reset their thinking about all this, too, in spite of the current trend in popular culture. I buy "top tier" and I buy the 93 octane and I never look back. I refuse to scrimp on the MINI.

BTW, did you hear Mike Cooper's interview about producing an ultra-clean/efficient petrol MINI??
Good points, did Mike Cooper's interview get podcast or saved on MotoringFile or somewhere for those who might want to hear it?

Thanks...

Old 06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley
I would offer the point of view that searching the forums for answers to any questions you may have may deliver benefits more quickly than posting without regard to what has come before. As you said, it is a forum, so it does have "institutional memory." Efforts are made to help new members of the forums by stickying the most frequently asked questions. In this case, the topic of premium gas has been stickied in the 1st Gear forum but not the R56 forum.

In any event, the generic subject of "x has been discussed already, why can't you just search the forums" has already been discussed. Hope the wait for your new MINI passes by quickly!
Point well taken..

Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
Just reviewed my new owners manual and it states,91 is preferred,however you may use 87 which could cause engine knocking and will not damage your engine.Q

Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by atcql
Just reviewed my new owners manual and it states,91 is preferred,however you may use 87 which could cause engine knocking and will not damage your engine.Q
What??? Since when does pinging NOT cause engine damage?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Scoobywrx
3rd Gear
Using midgrade and shifting every 3500 and not hitting boost often will probably yeild the best mileage if logic is telling me correct

Quick Reply: R56 Premium Gas?