R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Different type of noise from my MCS 6 speed has developed. Normal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 AM
flav
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skiploder
This has historically been linked to the DMF in both the R53 and the R56. There was an existing TSB for the R53. It looks like the problem has made it into the new model.
what is DMF?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
Not at all. The sound is more like the vibration of a heatsheild. Doesn't matter what gear I am in or even if I am in a gear. It is noticable enough that coasting in a parking lot a person looked at my car funny. It was that loud.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 PM
ficcion
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I drove another R56 today that definitely had the 3-2 squeal.

It also had the rotating noise, but it was almost undetectable and never got louder (seems to be coming from the tranny.)

My R56 doesn't have the 3-2 squeal (for now) but the rotating noise is much louder and detectable than the other R56, especially as it gets hotter.

My conclusion is the 3-2 squeal seems more clutch related and the rotating noise seems like chatter from the tranny. Who really knows however?

MINI will get there act together but it is like getting a train moving, very slow at best. We all just need to keep talking to our MINI techs and they will get the picture soon enough.

Heat shield vibrations are a whole different deal...my car has a little bit of that once and a while, but nothing major.

Keep us updated as you visit your dealers. I'll be headed in to the dealer in the future also.

Last edited by ficcion; 07-10-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by flav
what is DMF?
Dual mass flywheel.

Old TSB # was M21 01 05 - Transmission Rattling Noise at Idle.

Please note that although many of these repairs were done, quite a few posters noted that the noise came back after a while. This may indicate that there never has been a satisfactory fix for the problem.

http://www.murmini.com/articles/2007/04/01/dmf

I recommend anyone with the rattling at idle tranny noise read up on the old TSB and the above linked blog entry. These problems keep being reported and the noise is not normal - it's not the heatshield and if the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is dperessed, it's not the TOB either.

Last edited by Skiploder; 07-10-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:27 PM
TWON
4th Gear
YES!!! that exactly it!! its not there when the car is cold but the warmer it gets the louder the noise gets. and with the air con on its even louder. the car drives perfect so im not taking it to the dealer yet, anybody actually takes theirs in and see what this noise is. someone else described it as a rotating grinding noise (thats a great description)
I have the same noise as described, I haven't noticed any changes when I use the AC (but I can't say I have paid much attention either) and the noise is there when its warmed up or cold. But with the descriptions that have been given here (NOT the vibration of heat-shield), I'm sure it's the same sound.

I went to the dealer today and took another MCS 6spd for a spin and it did NOT have the "rotating" noise that mine has. Made an appointment with a tech for tomorrow at 7:20 in the morning ( why do I do that to myself!) to go for a spin with me. Will let you all know what he has to say.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I think the noise is less prevalent or non existent when it is cold, after checking this morning. I guess I just never take the rpms that high when its cold to have noticed it.

Last edited by TWON; 07-11-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 AM
flav
5th Gear
yea, please let me know what your dealer says about the noise, ill bring it up to mine next time i go in as well. i guess its not really the noise that bothers me as much as the thought that there might be a problem that affects long term reliability.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:02 AM
TWON
4th Gear
After taking a tech for a quick ride, he was able to hear the noise without difficulty and agrees that it is not normal. He was not, however, able to hear where exactly it was coming from. He rolled the windows down and was unable to hear anything that way. He said to figure out the location he would have to "put chassis ears on it". He says it is obviously something rubbing together that shouldn't be. Whether it be bearing a gear or something else, he can't tell. They would have been able to diagnose it today, but I didn't feel like driving all the way back at 1100 and then have that put me right in commute traffic on the way home. So the appointment to determine where it is coming from is next Tues. at 0900. Then, if something needs replacing, they will without a doubt have to order parts as they do not have stock of anything parts for these yet. He did say I would be able to keep the car until the parts come in, so I shouldn't be without my mini for too long (crossing my fingers) when it comes to that. Will let you know what they say....

Old 07-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Xray'dit_Mini
There are a few other threads on this issue.......seems as though there are a bunch of people out there having this prob. My 07 MCS is at the dealer recieving a new tranny as we speak.
so....after they replaced the flywheel, clutch/throw-out bearing, and tranny the sound is now gone! =)

Old 07-11-2007, 02:30 PM
manifest
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by manifest
Not at all. The sound is more like the vibration of a heatsheild. Doesn't matter what gear I am in or even if I am in a gear. It is noticable enough that coasting in a parking lot a person looked at my car funny. It was that loud.
I was able to get my wife to rev the engine last night after coming home from work so I could listen with the hood up. The sound is comming from the right side of the engine. I don't really know how to describe it other than a combination of a vibration and rattling.

I have not noticed any performance degredation yet.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:45 AM
flav
5th Gear
took the car yesterday up to CLASSIC MINI for a tech to take a ride and listen. he was able to hear the noise and said that it is normal. something about it being the sound of the transmission taking on the engine braking load when i let off the gas peddle. anyway he is their top tech so i feel like all is well. he said that he would hate to replace a transmission in such a new car and that he has not had any problems with any of the 2007s so far. he also said that they would document it and if there are any problems at all they would swap out the transmission for a new one no problem.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:45 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
My issue has been fixed. The cause of my sounds was that the lower A/C bracket was loose because of a loose nut. They also evacuated the A/C compressor and recharged it as well because they had to take it out to get to the bracket.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:59 PM
TWON
4th Gear
Well, I dropped off my mini at the dealership Tues. at 0900hrs. I was expecting them to have my car for 4-5 hours. After they kept it over night because they couldn't find the cause of the noise, I got a call on Wed. about 1600hr. They stated they checked the trans., drive line, clutch, flywheel, axles and they all checked out fine. But then he says, they found the tires were all at 20psi and needed more air, and after they filled them, drove and compared mine to others on the lot and couldn't tell a differences in any noise. I was sceptical, but said I would be right down to pick it up (and check for myself). Got there, took the car and before I hit the end of the parking lot, heard the noise, put it in reverse and asked for the foreman (head tech) as they offered to have him ride with me before I left. Took him out and let him hear the noise. He also was able to hear it immidietely and states he didn't think it should be there either and would look into it further. He says he needs to drive a couple others and confirm that it is abnormal. I took my car home and now I wait for his call...

Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 PM
jeffus3
Neutral
I have the same sound

I had my 07mcs in for a squeeky sound in the clutch. They have not yet decided if they will replace the clutch or the transmission. So I thought I should mention the tapping noise. Setting in the parking lot the engine would make a tapping noise at 2500 to 3000 rpm, it makes the noise with the clutch in or out. the service tech says that his car is just like mine and that it does not make that tapping noise. They will look at it agin when they decide what to do about the tranny. The options on that seem to be replace the clutch or the trannt. Mini USA has not decided what they will recommend yet.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 PM
TWON
4th Gear
Got a call back from the foreman today and he states he drove a couple other mini's on the lot and they did not make the noise mine does and feels it is abnormal. He asked that I bring it back to them and he and the tech will go over it again to find the source. Will have to call service and make an apt.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:25 PM
TWON
4th Gear
Another update, dropped my mini off again this Tues and got it back on Thur. They sent it through the same checks as last time with the "chassis ears" but this time with the foreman/head tech. He was unable to confirm where the noise is coming from, but maintains that is is definitely not normal and believes it is coming from the transmission. They contacted Mini USA and reported the findings. Mini USA requests that the transmission be replaced, so the new one is ordered and I will be notified when it gets in.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 PM
SandiePepper
6th Gear
Now I'm getting worried. My MINI is making weird noises when the clutch is not engaged, it goes away when the clutch is depressed. I've been reading all the threads on this noise, some say leave it, it's normal others say have it checked out it's not normal.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Intendoe
2nd Gear
I have those odd noises as well... At first I thought it was the exhaust making that noise until I stuck my head out and noticed that it wasn't coming from the rear. It's very promonent around 2k-4k rpms.

There was this one night though where I drove from LA to San Diego and at the end of my trip the noise disappeared how odd. It's still there after the car warms up a bit but now I've grown used to it. Performance doesn't seem to be effected.

Anyone have any updates?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 AM
flav
5th Gear
i still have the noise, but i am used to it. doesnt seem to affect the way the cars drives at all and the noise doesnt seem so loud anymore. i noticed it gets worse when the AC is on for some reason. all in all its hardly noticeable. the dealer made a note and said if i have any trouble down the line with the trans they would replace it. car still drives like a dream!!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Intendoe
2nd Gear
car still drives like a dream!!
Amen!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
SandiePepper
6th Gear
Called the dealer (Niello-Sacramento) today, he seemed to be familiar with the noise. He said it won't affect the performance of the car, but he said it's probably the flywheel and should be replaced. they will do it when I bring it in for the next service. But at least it's documented in case something really wrong happens.