North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007-136/)
-   -   R56 Different type of noise from my MCS 6 speed has developed. Normal?? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/103361-different-type-of-noise-from-my-mcs-6-speed-has-developed-normal.html)

flav 06-05-2007 08:55 AM

Different type of noise from my MCS 6 speed has developed. Normal??

I have developed a noise in my MCS 6 speed. im at 3400 miles. i searched but could not find anybody else that describes the sound. when i am in ANY gear and get the engine revs up to 3000+ and let go of the gas and clutch i hear a noise from the trans. its sounds like a muffled busy rotating rumble grinding. its very hard to describe the sound. it can be quite noticable with the windows closed. funny thing was my 2004 had the same exact noise before i sold it. it sucks because when i give it any serious gas at all and then let go the car sounds like crap as it decelerates. so i have been driving it lighter and shipfting sooner to prevent the noise. anybody else heard of this or have this noise? is it normal? when you bring your MCS up past 3500RPMs and let go of the gas do you hear any noise at all from the transmission?

dreman 06-05-2007 09:06 AM

I hear noises here and there; this is my first manual transmission... so I have no idea if it's normal or not.

dneal 06-05-2007 09:36 AM

When you push in the clutch, does it go away? The Getrag is a noisy transmission.

flav 06-05-2007 09:42 AM

yes, when the clutch is in it goes away. again, im ok with the noise as long as it is normal. but it can be quite loud at times.

Loony2N 06-05-2007 12:30 PM

I am normally an "engine braker" and I hear no unusual noises.

flav 06-05-2007 12:57 PM

yeah, you would notice this sound. humm, maybe something is wrong. anybody else get a sound when letting off the gas in gear around 3000+ RPMs?

flav 06-05-2007 03:44 PM

WAIT!!! on the ride home i realized it does happen with the clutch pressed. anybody have any ideas? it also gets worse the more the car is warmed up.

minibonkers 06-05-2007 03:54 PM

:eek2: Now that is something I would take to the service department.

r56mini 06-05-2007 04:48 PM

when clutch is pressed and noise comes = bad throwout bearing. That's what was wrong with my e30.

My car is scheduled for production!!!!!:thumbsup:

MINIdave 06-05-2007 04:54 PM

Could it be a heat shield rattle, or something similar?
'Caused by the torque of the engine causing it to hit something on decel?

celljay 06-07-2007 07:33 PM

Flav,

I have the same noise on my 07MCS 6 spd. I originally though the noise was exhaust rumble coming from the muffler. It only happens when the car a has been running for a while. It also happens with or without the clutch engaged. It also only happens when I let off the gas.

Is this normal? I only have 1,240 miles, if you take it back to MINI let us know what they say. I'm willing to live with it as long as it is not damaging the car.

celljay

ADAMSALTAMINI 06-07-2007 07:42 PM

Hey guys, I checked on our mule (just turned 6000 miles from the trip to the Dragon and back). No noise. Sounds like a trip to the nearest service center is in order. Good luck! Report back to all of us to your findings.

Thanks again for posting. This helps ALL of us!

ficcion 07-04-2007 10:28 AM

Any updates?

My car seems to have this sound also. Did anybody take it into the dealer?

I always chalked it up to "normal" tranny noise.

Skiploder 07-04-2007 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by r56mini (Post 1559774)
when clutch is pressed and noise comes = bad throwout bearing. That's what was wrong with my e30.

My car is scheduled for production!!!!!:thumbsup:

This has historically been linked to the DMF in both the R53 and the R56. There was an existing TSB for the R53. It looks like the problem has made it into the new model.

Xray'dit_Mini 07-05-2007 05:10 PM

There are a few other threads on this issue.......seems as though there are a bunch of people out there having this prob. My 07 MCS is at the dealer recieving a new tranny as we speak.

Ken Cooper 07-05-2007 05:44 PM

before visiting the service department, test drive a different 6 speed. That way you'll have an easier time describing the difference and you'll be ready for that, "I don't hear anything unusual".

P.S. My 6 speed does not in any way sound like what you describe.

oldbimmercoupe 07-05-2007 07:49 PM

my 6-speed is fantastic - getrag is top drawer.

ficcion 07-05-2007 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Xray'dit_Mini (Post 1611600)
There are a few other threads on this issue.......seems as though there are a bunch of people out there having this prob. My 07 MCS is at the dealer recieving a new tranny as we speak.

I have read about grinding issues when shifting from third to second, but not the above mentioned issue.

What exactly did you experience to warrant a new tranny?

Thanks.

manifest 07-06-2007 08:01 AM

I think I have the same issue. Letting off the throttle at 3K down to about 2K there is a very weird noise that is not the engine.

ficcion 07-06-2007 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by manifest (Post 1612500)
I think I have the same issue. Letting off the throttle at 3K down to about 2K there is a very weird noise that is not the engine.

Exactly right, that wierd "rotating" noise upon deceleration.

I autocross and run the car hard and have not had any issues but the sound is noticeable, especially as the car gets up to operating temp.

Xray'dit_Mini 07-06-2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ficcion (Post 1611901)
I have read about grinding issues when shifting from third to second, but not the above mentioned issue.

What exactly did you experience to warrant a new tranny?

Thanks.

when sitting in neutral, there was a LOUD "ticking" from the tranny. When the clutch was depressed the sound went away. The sound would only manifest itself after the car warmed up and the gear oil thinned. The dealer first replaced the flywheel, then the clutch/ throw-bearing, and finally the whole tranny.
It all started after they removed the tranny to replace the rear main seal, that had been leaking since delivery.

amazonracer 07-06-2007 06:02 PM

I have an auto so I don't know but you know the drill. Take it in

manifest 07-10-2007 07:07 AM

I have an appointment scheduled for this Friday. The sound really makes it's self noticed after the car is warmed up. I'll be taking it for a spirited drive before bringing it to the dealer.

Arnbut 07-10-2007 07:55 AM

Like this?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=106704
Or this?
http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...on-agreed.html

flav 07-10-2007 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ficcion (Post 1612542)
Exactly right, that wierd "rotating" noise upon deceleration.

I autocross and run the car hard and have not had any issues but the sound is noticeable, especially as the car gets up to operating temp.

YES!!! that exactly it!! its not there when the car is cold but the warmer it gets the louder the noise gets. and with the air con on its even louder. the car drives perfect so im not taking it to the dealer yet, anybody actually takes theirs in and see what this noise is. someone else described it as a rotating grinding noise (thats a great description)