R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ScanGauge II

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ScanGauge II

Trying to find a way to easily see the engine temperature (and boost) without any engine mods, I have looked into the ScanGauge II. Based on it's measurments, it looks like it will fit perfectly into the "cubby" at the bottom of the center stack. There was some discussion in NAM that it may not work on the R56, but I think that was the DashHalk. I got this info from ScanGauge:
"I'm not aware of a problem with the Minis sold in the US. I have sold some outside the US and they also worked well. The vehicle ECU reports manifold-absolute-pressure. The vehicle uses a Manifold-Absolute-Pressure (MAP) sensor to control everything related to boost. Boost changes with altitude and the weather, MAP is absolute. MAP is what controls the power. Boost will be higher in the mountains and make you think you have more power when you may actually have less. MAP won't lie to you.To turn MAP into boost, you would subtract the current air pressure from it. It is about 14.7PSI at sea level and drops about 0.5PSI every thousand feet you go up in elevation."

I will be ordering the device soon and will post the results.

Last edited by Loony2N; 06-04-2007 at 05:43 AM. Reason: delete formatting info.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered one Friday. It is supposed to ship today and arrive mid week.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received the ScanGauge II yesterday. No problem with installation and setup. It is pretty simple. Plug the cable into the OBCII port under the dash on the left side of the driver's area. Start the car. Plug the other end of the cable into the ScanGauge II. It shows "Connecting" for a short time and then you are set to go.

It seems that the MCS likes to run water temp of about 220-225 F. MAP (manifold absolute pressure) hit about 28 on a WOT for a brief time. This is at an altitude of about 600-1,000 ft. above sea level. I find the MPH handy, so I can leave the Tach showing time/temp or MPG.

Haven't tried scanning for error codes yet.

It doesn't seem to report oil temp or pressure that I can find. It does have engine loading, trottle position, air intake temp., and a few other things.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Thanks for the info. Mine was shipped Tuesday, so should have it soon. Where did you mount yours? MPH display could be handy, if that can be displayed in conjunction with engine temp and MAP (plus, I believe, 1 other measurement, which I haven't decided on yet). According to my nav, I am at just under 400 ft. elevation, so my readings should be similar.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I put some industrial velcro on top of the dash to the right of the tach. The ScanGauge is angled down a little, but that doesn't affect readability -- might even reduce glare.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
The biggest problem is figuring out what to do with the extra cable. I coiled it and velcroed it to the underside of the dash. I may look into getting some connectors so I can cut the wires and take a section out.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Tessai
2nd Gear
Where did you guys order this product? Sounds like something I could use.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I ordered directly from Scangauge.

I am thinking of putting it in the same general area, but velcroed to the slightly curved part of the dash above that lip. Like I have my V1 remote display mounted, but to the right of the tach (that is, the V1 is to the left).

Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
My test of it was at night. Today I find that it is a little hard to read with the face in shadow, on a sunny day, with me wearing dark glasses (prescription for nearsightedness). The combination of dark lenses and perscription make it difficult. I'll try tilting it up, but I really need bifocal sunglasses.

I got mine from PES Network, Inc. on ebay. Called them before I ordered. I'm not aware of any NAM vendor that carries the ScanGauge II. Earlier I had contacted one of the NAM vendors (don't recall who at the moment) about the DashHawk and asked it worked with the R56. They never responded.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 PM
MINIGolfer1
3rd Gear
I opted for a little more usable device.

I've got the Palm Treo 680 smartphone, and there is a company called Auterra that makes a product called Dyno-Scan.

They make both a plam based version and a windows based version.

It does the same thing that the scangauge II does, allows you to clear and diagnose Service Engine Soon codes, monitor 5 different mechanical elements, boost, water temp, and a whole slew of others.

It also has the capability to do a dyno and store the information that can then be downloaded to a PC or Mac.

It's just a tad more expensive than the scanguage, but I really like it.

You can check out there product at http://www.auterra.com

Old 06-07-2007, 08:46 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Installed mine today. Easy. Seems to work good, didn't have time to drive around any due to the game tonight.
Here's some pictures:

Name:  ScanGside.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  27.0 KB
Name:  ScanGday.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  31.0 KB
Name:  ScanGNight.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  9.3 KB

Old 06-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Robin, I got mine Friday. My wife won't let me have it until father's day, but did let me try to find a possible location in the car. Putting it where you did, it doesn't seem to fit all that well. Plus, the steering spokes move in front of it. Any comment? It does seem to fit very well just under the toggle switch bank. Not in line of sight, but doesn't really need to be. I am also considering mounting it in the headliner and running the cable down the pillar......

Old 06-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
under the toggle bank is a good position

Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Robin, I got mine Friday. My wife won't let me have it until father's day, but did let me try to find a possible location in the car. Putting it where you did, it doesn't seem to fit all that well. Plus, the steering spokes move in front of it. Any comment? It does seem to fit very well just under the toggle switch bank. Not in line of sight, but doesn't really need to be. I am also considering mounting it in the headliner and running the cable down the pillar......
I think you are looking at th3118's photos. I put mine up on the dash. For daylight, I have it far forward, close to the windshield and tilted up on a block so the light hits the screen.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 AM
jlevy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady

It seems that the MCS likes to run water temp of about 220-225 F. MAP (manifold absolute pressure) hit about 28 on a WOT for a brief time. This is at an altitude of about 600-1,000 ft. above sea level. I find the MPH handy, so I can leave the Tach showing time/temp or MPG.
Did you notice roughly how long it took to reach operating temp?

-JL

Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I put in my ScanGaugeII yesterday. I fitted it to the underneath of the toggle bank, a perfect spot. It is exactly the right size and tilts up at just the right angle! One of the blue backgrounds is a near perfect match for the Pacific Blue interior, too. It took about 20 minutes to install and set up, much of the time spent securing the routed cable. I have it defaulted to water temp (fWT), MAP (boost - altitude), Engine Load (LOD) and Volts. The engine warms very quickly. Yesterday and today, during approx. 5 mile in town trips, it ran a constant 222 degrees. I haven't played around with the other features yet, but I find it a great alternative to the more traditional gauges.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Trying to find a way to easily see the engine temperature (and boost) without any engine mods, I have looked into the ScanGauge II. Based on it's measurments, it looks like it will fit perfectly into the "cubby" at the bottom of the center stack. There was some discussion in NAM that it may not work on the R56, but I think that was the DashHalk. I got this info from ScanGauge:
"I'm not aware of a problem with the Minis sold in the US. I have sold some outside the US and they also worked well. The vehicle ECU reports manifold-absolute-pressure. The vehicle uses a Manifold-Absolute-Pressure (MAP) sensor to control everything related to boost. Boost changes with altitude and the weather, MAP is absolute. MAP is what controls the power. Boost will be higher in the mountains and make you think you have more power when you may actually have less. MAP won't lie to you.To turn MAP into boost, you would subtract the current air pressure from it. It is about 14.7PSI at sea level and drops about 0.5PSI every thousand feet you go up in elevation."

I will be ordering the device soon and will post the results.
I just plugged my SG-II into my 09 JCW and noticed the MAP gauge as well. I wonder if there's a way to make an X-Gauge that is essentially MAP minus 14.7 or whatnot. I emailed the company to see if they'd provide any help.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
See this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=128221

Note that, on the R55/R56, it seems that it won't work unless you're displaying MAP at the same time, which sucks. No one's explained why this is yet..... works fine on the R50/52/53.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 AM
JAceMin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tu13es
I just plugged my SG-II into my 09 JCW and noticed the MAP gauge as well. I wonder if there's a way to make an X-Gauge that is essentially MAP minus 14.7 or whatnot. I emailed the company to see if they'd provide any help.

check this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t+on+scangauge

Old 03-30-2009, 04:59 AM
TerryD
4th Gear
I installed the SG yesterday and added the xgauge for BST with the codes from this thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t+on+scangauge
The way the data is displayed is all but useless. Any thoughts? The water and air temp is a nice addition. I wish I had before and after readings to see what my modifications for air intake did to help intake air temp.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Define what you mean by "all but useless" - not a lot of detail about what you find lacking or what you're looking for help with...

If you're referring to the way the SG will only display the calculated BST when MAP is also displayed, then this has been discussed quite a bit... just an idiosyncracy of how it works on the 2nd gen cars... no one has been able to give me an adequate explanation... works great on the 1st gen cars...

Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 AM
TerryD
4th Gear

Last edited by TerryD; 03-30-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 AM
TerryD
4th Gear

Last edited by TerryD; 03-30-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-30-2009, 12:56 PM
BlimeyCabrio