R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Buying MCS or Mustang GT Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:44 PM
zookroo1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying MCS or Mustang GT Thoughts?

Hi everybody, here is my strange dilemma... I have been looking to get a new car and the time is finally close. At first I was looking for something a bit larger than my current car for utility purposes. I started out looking at SUVs like an Explorer, etc because it would make it easier when I need to move stuff for work. I quickly realized something that I already knew- I'm a car person. SUVs are nice for what they are, but not for normal driving. So the Mini was on the short list of cars I am interested in. I've been learning a lot reading here and I'd have to say that the people on this forum are nicer and more helpful than any other that I've been on. The nearest Mini dealer is over 50 miles away, but I was finally able to get there this week and test drive and check out the selection. Defineitely fun to drive and has a larger feel on the inside that you'd think from the outside. I like that it's different than most run of the mill cars. The wife also enjoyed the car, and she typically doesn't like sporty cars or driving a manual transmission.

Here is the problem...I also checked out the Mustang GT, which I really wasn't even thinking was a contender but really liked it as well. These two cars are at opposite ends of the spectrum, which makes choosing one or the other more difficult. Power vs. Finesse. With the Ford I can get a nice deal because my Grandfather retired from the company. So with the rebate and money I get off I can save over $4000 off the sticker price, putting both cars prices basically the same.

Anyone else ever make this strange comparison? I like a lot of things about both cars and I'm sure that I'd be happy with either but I keeping going back and forth! I'm sure this forum will be a little bit biased towards the Mini, but nothing like most of the other fanboy forums. Thanks in advance for any tidbits of wisdom!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:55 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Hey,

It's not so strange if you want something fun to drive and cool looking. I thought of the new Mustang myself, it has good power and retro looks. The MCS is not much slower and handles much better. Dont forget the BMW service and warrentee.

If you are looking for a muscle car type performance than obviously go with the GT. If you want something truley fun to drive get the MCS. I did not buy the MINI to impress anyone but myself and it makes me happy every day when I drive it.

Hope that helped a little. Either way they are both fun cars. You cant go wrong with the resale value on the MCS either.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:01 PM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
Hello Zoocroo1
First off Welcome to NAM. You pose an interesting question. I've been there and done that. Had a late 02 production Cooper S, Indy Blue. I loved the car and had no problems whatsoever with it; however I was soon in a position where I had 2 mortgages and something had to go. I stupidly sold my MINI.
Soon thereafter I sold one of the houses. It was when the new Mustang GT first came out in 2005. Had to have one. Bought the Wind veil blue. Loved the car. The raw power was great, especially for the price and it was a beautiful car. However, I really really missed driving the MINI. Hard to explain, but just drive one on some nice twisty roads, and you'll understand. As you may have guessed....the Mustang GT went bye-bye and I again am a very happy and satisfied MINI Cooper S, JCW owner. Love my dealer here in Charlotte and love the local club, M2C2. There is no comparison in my book. Go with the Cooper - you won't look back -- also in build quality, there is no comparison. You will be shocked at what you can haul around in a Cooper. Remember you asked the question on a MINI enthusiast site, so in short that is my humble opinion. Best of luck with your decision!!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 05:02 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
I understand your dilemma. I once bought a Mustang (1992 5.0)and the low end torgue and burble of the v8 were intoxicating. But it rode like a hay wagon on rough roads, rattled and was pretty hard on gas. I know the new ones are light years ahead, but the basic design hasn't changed. Given $3.50/gallon gas this would be a no-brainer -- get the MCS.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:19 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
I had a couple of Mustangs back in the day. I still feel like anything with BMW design is going to handle alot better. I think the true comparisson would be the MCS JCW (R56 version) to a Mustang GT500. The regular Mustang GT and lower models could probably be modded to make them handle better and stop faster, and lord knows they have alot of power. But no Mustang was ever known for good fuel economy... the GT probably is lucky to get 28mpg in high gear at 60mph on a flat road with a tailwind. My MCS is averaging that in the city and gets well over 35mpg highway.

The Mustangs were fun, but my MINI handles so much better and my old MINI was far more reliable, so I hope the new one will be too.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enjoy the Mustang now and the Mini next time.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:31 PM
snkbte
3rd Gear
Both great cars. I do not have my Mini yet, but have driven a 1/2 dozen over the last few years, and for me, nothing is more fun to drive then the Mini. I owned a couple of Miata's,and they are another great car, but once I drove my friends 2005 JCW Mini, it went to the top of the list. I currently have an 88 Mustang 5.0 notchback with many modifications, 2001 Z06 with over 500Hp,a Factory Five Cobra with a 475 HP 347, and all these cars are a lot of fun to drive. But nothing compares to a Mini for all around fun. My un-biased thoughts. Good luck in which ever one you go with.
ps If it is going to be a year-round car, and you live where it snows,the Mini wins once again.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I would just want to point out that there is a commercial on the tube lately about a website for finding and buying a used car. The website service whittles down all the choices for you until it finds the perfect car. To illustrate this, they show a freeway of cars driving toward the house, each time they choose a variable, all the ones that dont match exit. All the way down to one red mustang.
That took too long to type!
The point is you couldn't swing a dead cat around here without smearing the window on 2 or 3 mustangs. While they aren't exactly a dime a dozen, you know they aren't rare by any stretch.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:22 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you're right, the Mustang is no MINI. That would settle the matter in my mind.

Seriously...good luck whatever you decide.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 PM
tomm9050
3rd Gear
$4.00/ gallon+15mpg ('Stang)

Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 PM
grekal
1st Gear
Buy the Stang... supercharge it and hold on to your hat! JK the MCS is a lot of fun to drive on the road.

Attached Thumbnails Buying MCS or Mustang GT   Thoughts?-dyno-jdm-stgii-3.6-061219.jpg   Buying MCS or Mustang GT   Thoughts?-jdmsaleenstgii.jpg  
Old 05-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Loui
4th Gear
Stang= huge depreciation. Strange dilemna?????

Old 05-23-2007, 08:13 PM
toomuchfun
3rd Gear
I cross shopped the Mustang GT convertible with the MCSC. I loved both the Mustang and the MINI, but the MINI won out because 1) I could not convince myself to get the V8 with its associated gas mileage (the V6 was not a consideration) 2) driving the MINI connected with me on a gut/emotional level I cannot explain.

Either way, both are AWESOME cars and are fun to drive, not to mention incredibly sexy looking.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 PM
gforce23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tomm9050
$4.00/ gallon+15mpg ('Stang)
$4/gal? Where are you? On some remote island in the Pacific??

Old 05-23-2007, 09:08 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gforce23
$4/gal? Where are you? On some remote island in the Pacific??

California

Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 PM
tatooweeny
2nd Gear
You also could consider the fact that the 'stang is more of an insurance hassle because they get ripped off and keyed alot! And 'LOUI' is right about the depreciation thing...But they do kick ****. I had a 77 Mustang II (Don't laugh, it had a Cobra 302 with 300+ horsies) that was amazing to drive.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 PM
gforce23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
California
I thought Chicago was the most expensive at $3.6/gallon?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd have to go with the Mini but then again I'm biased. With gas prices volatile, the much superior mileage of even a hard driven Mini will give you more income to take the car fun places. Love Mustangs (my first car was a '66) but you're not got any more utility, slightly more speed that 'usuable', and many fewer smiles from other folks. If you go back to wanting more utility, don't know much about the future clubman but it sounds like it will give you more space to drag stuff around.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
Where I live, Minis are far more common than Mustangs but I never considered the GT because of its price and depreciation...but am I ever a fan of power oversteer! I don't envy your choice

Old 05-23-2007, 11:00 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
I once wanted a Mustang for the power...but the MINI won me over, its got some sort of charm to it. and my friend who got a Mustang said that if he ever got another car it would probably be a MINI

Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mikeg4572
Hey,

It's not so strange if you want something fun to drive and cool looking. I thought of the new Mustang myself, it has good power and retro looks. The MCS is not much slower and handles much better. Dont forget the BMW service and warrentee.

If you are looking for a muscle car type performance than obviously go with the GT. If you want something truley fun to drive get the MCS. I did not buy the MINI to impress anyone but myself and it makes me happy every day when I drive it.

Hope that helped a little. Either way they are both fun cars. You cant go wrong with the resale value on the MCS either.
x2

well said!

If you want raw power go GT. If you want handling go with the MCS.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 05-24-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 AM
gforce23
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
x2

well said!

If you want raw power go GT. If you want handling go with the MCS.
Why stop at the GT? If you want raw pony power, go for a GT500. Believe you me, its more brutal than you could ever imagine.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:03 AM
BartMack
6th Gear
I'm late to the parade, but I had an 06 Mustang GT 5MT for about a year and half (at the same time I traded up from an 05 MCS to an 06 MCSC)

I found that for me, the Mustang wasn't that much fun to drive. The sound of the V8 is awesome, the straightline accceleration is nice, but the driving dynamics on curves were fishtail-y. I don't care much about mpg, but know that I got 10mpg at best.

I've since sold the 'stang and gotten an 07 BMW 335 coupe, which is about 200 years more advanced than the Mustang was

Old 05-24-2007, 03:11 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I once had a 66 GT. I'd love to have that car again. Since, no mustang has measured up. Given today, I have the MC.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotta say, the exhaust note of the Mustang GT is glorious. For a stock muffler system, I must give Ford kudos for designing such a lusty, machismo exhaust note, right from the factory.

I too really like the Mustang GT, and someday I hope to own one as a second "play" car.

But for now, my daily driver MCS is just perfect for me. I love it.

Quick Reply: R56 Buying MCS or Mustang GT Thoughts?