R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Secret compartment Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:04 AM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boo.... locked.

Mine is a Week 16 that I picked up earlier in May, and my compartment seems locked. It appears securely fastened, but flimsy enough that if I try to force it open, I'll just wind up with a broken piece of trim.

Maybe it makes a difference what kind of trim you have? Mine is the standard checkerboard silver that comes with the S...

Old 05-30-2007, 12:31 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe if you force open the door, all you'll find is an empty hole.....I took my mini into the dealer today, for them to check out the noisy downshift problem. I asked them to open up the secret compartment while it was in having the other work done. I received a phone call telling me they would be charging me $550 for the parts and installation After a call to Ask Mini I got a call back saying they would do for free as a goodwill gesture. Anyway the bottom line is they told me a retrofit kit is available to make the compartment functional. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 PM
dreman
3rd Gear
mine was ordered first week of April, and it's unlocked. Piano black trim. How do I know which prduction week it is?

Old 05-30-2007, 02:14 PM
binkysmini
3rd Gear
AstroCoop picked up his week 18 production S yesterday and the compartment is there and fully operable. He has a jack, too, so put that rumor to rest.
I guess he is too busy showing it off to post pics today.
Cheers!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:08 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
It's no SECRET!

[quote=mcarlo52;1535221]Well, I got my MINI last month and the "secret compartment" was not locked.

There's nothing SECRET about it. The owners manual has the information on opening it. So DON'T think you're gonna be a Snoop Dogg wannabe, cuz the LAW will easily find your 9mm, Glock, (insert your heater of choice here).

Old 05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BritBoy, please do keep in touch about the retrofit kit. I'm still getting the story that it will come "when parts are available." This is as of today, so the story hasn't changed, nor has going through the service manager helped anything.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:59 PM
iDriveS
3rd Gear
Week 16, unlocked, and no rattles.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
BritBoy, please do keep in touch about the retrofit kit. I'm still getting the story that it will come "when parts are available." This is as of today, so the story hasn't changed, nor has going through the service manager helped anything.
Deb, I admire your persistence. They must be sick of you at MotW by now. I am going in tomorrow for an upgrade on the Cruise Control software and will ask again as well. I would really like the extra space for window cleaner, handi-wipes, whatever.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:23 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Deb, I admire your persistence. They must be sick of you at MotW by now. I am going in tomorrow for an upgrade on the Cruise Control software and will ask again as well. I would really like the extra space for window cleaner, handi-wipes, whatever. Afraid it's not big enough for my bullet-proof vest.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:31 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
Update: They phoned me this afternoon to say a new clutch is the cure for the 2nd gear grind, (hmmm), and the parts are in for the secret compartment. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. I'll post an update when/if I get the car back.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BritBoy
Update: They phoned me this afternoon to say a new clutch is the cure for the 2nd gear grind, (hmmm), and the parts are in for the secret compartment. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. I'll post an update when/if I get the car back.
HUZZAH! I'll annoy them for sure when I go in for service tomorrow.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Ask Aka. Heather probably won't know what you're talking about. Aka might, since the sales manager said he would talk to him.

I'll be there Friday--a/c fan "wheel" sticks and will be replaced.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:57 PM
lava
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcn
Mine is a Week 16 that I picked up earlier in May, and my compartment seems locked. It appears securely fastened, but flimsy enough that if I try to force it open, I'll just wind up with a broken piece of trim.

Maybe it makes a difference what kind of trim you have? Mine is the standard checkerboard silver that comes with the S...
Week 16? Yours should work. You said it feel flimsy? Mine feels solid as a rock. Try pushing in on it firmly with a push on each side just in board of the two AC vents.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 PM
dennisd63
5th Gear
Mine was first week of April production and it works just fine!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Mine rattles...

...after I put stuff in it.
Anyway, sometime ago a bought a roll of this stuff at OSH that mechanics put on workbenches to keep their tools from clattering and disturbing the neighbors. It also keeps them from sliding around in heavy seas. It is kind of a foam mesh that is about 1/8" thick when you aren't squishing it. So, I cut some pieces and lined the bottom and back of the Chamber of Secrets. I couldn't stop there, so I lined the door pockets, and...

I'll try it out for awhile and report back as to whether it is a good idea.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Excuse the dumb question, but what is the "secret compartment"?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dbhouston
Deb, I admire your persistence. They must be sick of you at MotW by now. I am going in tomorrow for an upgrade on the Cruise Control software and will ask again as well. I would really like the extra space for window cleaner, handi-wipes, whatever.
Upgrade on the cruise control software? Please elaborate?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 AM
hailpurdue
2nd Gear
Week 16, unlocked, I-Pod integration installed there.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 AM
dneal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
Excuse the dumb question, but what is the "secret compartment"?
A compartment above the glovebox. If you get the CD changer, it goes there. It will hold about 4 CD's in their jewel cases, but I have a 24-CD case that fits in there.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
JDR
3rd Gear
Mine doesn't have it .

Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Ken Cooper--the cruise control "dropout" now has a service bulletin and a presumed fix in the software. I had it done but haven't driven the car long enough to tell you if it works, since it was always intermittant.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
[quote=surfblue;1549600]
Originally Posted by mcarlo52
Well, I got my MINI last month and the "secret compartment" was not locked.

There's nothing SECRET about it. The owners manual has the information on opening it. So DON'T think you're gonna be a Snoop Dogg wannabe, cuz the LAW will easily find your 9mm, Glock, (insert your heater of choice here).
Well I knew it wasn't really a secret among the NAM community, that's why I put the quotes around it. The thread title is what I was responding to, and I have my 50mm's mounted under the hood and pointed out the "fake" scoop.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dneal
A compartment above the glovebox. If you get the CD changer, it goes there. It will hold about 4 CD's in their jewel cases, but I have a 24-CD case that fits in there.
Thanks. WOW!! That's really cool, thanks. I too carry a 24cd wallet holder, will fit right in there, PERFECT!!! Ok, that's it, now I have to go order this car!!!

Is it in all the 07 MCS's?

Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
All except the January build cars, unfortunately...

Old 05-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
Is it in all the 07 MCS's?
All MCs and MCSs.

All except the January build cars, unfortunately...
Deb,

I'm not sure that it's in all of the February builds, either. Mine was built toward the end of the first week of March and it seemed like those were the first ones where the compartment was open. Mine was the first at my dealership that opened properly.

The cars for the British market since November were missing the secret compartment, as well. Sometimes, it is better to wait.

Quick Reply: R56 Secret compartment Yes or No?