R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Cooling the R55

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:14 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cooling the R55

I live in Central Florida it gets hot here. It's hard to keep a Clubman S breathing right.

I have a "cold" air intake, bigger hoses, high flow charge pipes. I've also deleted the plastic piece in the hood scoop to have some cool air flow under the hood.

How is your R55 cooled? Whats under your hood? Anyone here live in this kind of stupid climate??

I'm looking into buying an intercooler and trying to find or develop a ram air intake that goes to the throttle body.

I've had my '12 Clubman S for 4.5 years now. I maintain that thing like you should. I'm now trying to get rid of every piece of plastic this car has and make it worth while.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:00 AM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO A larger, better intercooler is one of the 1st mods you should do before anything else. A cold air intake is drawing air from outside the engine compartment anything else is just sucking hot engine air and robbing low end power.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:09 AM
k_brady
1st Gear
I wanted to start with an intercooler but I got a good deal on the hoses and intake at once.

I'm in need of a intercooler because I travel on the highway in 101 degree heat. As much as I'd like to cruise at 110-120 for the next hour it's just going to make my engine run really hot. Air flow was crucial but now I need more cooling mods.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:20 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
What kind of temperatures are you seeing? Just curious.

I run an Alta intercooler and haven't experienced any cooling problems, but the climate here in Massachusetts isn't like what you have in Florida....also, I don't drive my car as hard as you do even on track days.

I wonder if a splitter might force more airflow through the intercooler and radiator rather than flowing under the car.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:27 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Wrap the turbocharger with lagging (insulation) it will reduce your underhood temperatures significantly as well as improve turbocharger efficiency.

https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-tu...at-shield.html

Old 05-29-2017, 11:55 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Yes an intercooler is by far the best investment for intake temp cooling.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...r-s-turbo.html

Our turbo wrap is also a great way to keep the heat in the turbo.

As for the intake we actually found the stock intake and JCW intakes to be the best for intake air temps as the aftermarket intakes sucked too much hot engine air.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Wrap the turbocharger with lagging (insulation) it will reduce your underhood temperatures significantly as well as improve turbocharger efficiency.

I dig this. My buddy down here has an Abarth and its having turbo issues because it gets too hot. Might have to look further into this too.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:33 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yes an intercooler is by far the best investment for intake temp cooling.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...r-s-turbo.html

Our turbo wrap is also a great way to keep the heat in the turbo.

As for the intake we actually found the stock intake and JCW intakes to be the best for intake air temps as the aftermarket intakes sucked too much hot engine air.
Interesting. What test did you put it through to judge that? I still have my stock intake!

The plastic that is found in the hood scoop restricts air flow mainly under the hood but also cuts down on the bug factor. I ripped that out. I believe it pushes some kind of air out or into the engine. Bugs aren't really an issue. But i think when I'm cruising it does a little more and same when I'm idle in traffic.

I'm waiting to see a custom ram air intake to the manifold be made. I see its difficulties but it's also very plausible.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:36 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
What kind of temperatures are you seeing? Just curious.

I run an Alta intercooler and haven't experienced any cooling problems, but the climate here in Massachusetts isn't like what you have in Florida....also, I don't drive my car as hard as you do even on track days.

I wonder if a splitter might force more airflow through the intercooler and radiator rather than flowing under the car.
To be exact, not sure. But based off the "secret menu" option it sits in the normal range. When I'm cruising at 110-120 the weather is usually 77-82. When its about 88-102 degrees outside I cruise at 80mph. The winter season down here I can zip around. In the summers I now have a beater.