R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Oil Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 AM
jasonl
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Change Questions

Hi gang,

This may seem like a silly question to some but on previous vehicle my typical time to change the oil was after 5000km (3100 miles), does this typically correspond with a Mini? I ask because I've just passed that mark on my recently purchased 2012 Clubman.

Also, do you go to the dealer for it, go to your favorite mechanic, or do it yourself (and how difficult is that, that engine bay is cramped)? Is it like some cars and requires a 'special dealer only oil'?

1. How often do you change your oil?
2. How do you get it done?
3. Is there a specific oil?

Thanks for you input!

Jason

Old 05-12-2016, 08:42 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Hello Jason. Typically, people do oil change intervals every 5,000 miles (roughly 8000km). Do you have tools and feel you're DIY savvy? Many people tackle oil changes themselves. If you plan to work on your MINI it may be a good idea to pick up a Bentley Manual. There are a few good DIY's on here that can help you with this as well. You'll want to locate your oil drain plug on the oil pan and oil filter (under coolant reservoir). This DIY here might be useful as it'll give you an idea of what all is done.

Oil change items here - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...aintenance.htm

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM
jasonl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Hello Jason. Typically, people do oil change intervals every 5,000 miles (roughly 8000km). Do you have tools and feel you're DIY savvy? Many people tackle oil changes themselves. If you plan to work on your MINI it may be a good idea to pick up a Bentley Manual. There are a few good DIY's on here that can help you with this as well. You'll want to locate your oil drain plug on the oil pan and oil filter (under coolant reservoir). This DIY here might be useful as it'll give you an idea of what all is done.

Oil change items here - http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...aintenance.htm

Thank you...I am fairly DIY, but a local oil change is like $40 so it may no be worth the hassle lol (disposing of used oil, etc).

5000 miles? Not Km?

Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonl
Thank you...I am fairly DIY, but a local oil change is like $40 so it may no be worth the hassle lol (disposing of used oil, etc).

5000 miles? Not Km?
You're welcome! Not a bad price, but just make sure wherever you're getting it done that they're using the correct oil and filter. I tend to advise people to steer away from local jiffy lube type places as they don't always use the right parts. Can't tell you how many vehicles I've encountered with issues after getting things done at shops like that. A local MINI independent shop would be your best bet to make sure the job is done right. We go off miles here in the states, so yes 5k miles, which is about 8,050 km for you.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 AM
jasonl
1st Gear
You're welcome! Not a bad price, but just make sure wherever you're getting it done that they're using the correct oil and filter. I tend to advise people to steer away from local jiffy lube type places as they don't always use the right parts. Can't tell you how many vehicles I've encountered with issues after getting things done at shops like that. A local MINI independent shop would be your best bet to make sure the job is done right. We go off miles here in the states, so yes 5k miles, which is about 8,050 km for you.

Interesting...that $40 is at my regular mechanic, I never go to the 'jiffy' places...too many horror stories and attempted "up sells" from those places (engine flush, go away please, just change my oil).

The 5000 miles vs Km's is interesting...because most places around here would be shaking their head at you if you went 8K kms.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:50 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
$69.95 for my Countryman at the dealer, nobody beats that price and to save the few dollars wouldn't make much sense for me. I get some free coffee and get to wander around and look at the new cars. Trying to keep to 5,000 mile changes.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:27 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Use MINI brand filters. I used MINI brand oil, when I still had the free oil changes, afterwards, I switched to Mobil 1 0W-40, LL-01 European formula as recommended by MINI, there is a list of approved oils in the owners manual.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:29 AM
jasonl
1st Gear
Ha Ha...just called the dealer...$120.00 plus taxes for an oil change! Sweet heavens no!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM
jasonl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Use MINI brand filters. I used MINI brand oil, when I still had the free oil changes, afterwards, I switched to Mobil 1 0W-40, LL-01 European formula as recommended by MINI, there is a list of approved oils in the owners manual.

Thanks Dave...after seeing what the dealer cost's for an oil change ($120 plus tax) I'll be looking at all my options.

I also have to find out if going elsewhere effects my warranty...sigh.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:01 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
+1: I've heard many, many, many horror stories about the Jiffy / Quick Lube type places.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:18 PM
aggst1
1st Gear
Thanks Dave...after seeing what the dealer cost's for an oil change ($120 plus tax) I'll be looking at all my options.

I also have to find out if going elsewhere effects my warranty...sigh.
$120 might seem high to you but it really isn't. When you factor in the cost of quality synthetic oil, manufacturer approved filter and all that performed at manufacturer approved shop charging higher hourly rates. My dealer also washes and vacuums the car so I bet the $120 includes that too.

Keep in mind you really don't have to change the oil that often. The manufacturer recommends oil change at 8000 miles (=12,874km) or once per year , which if you do a little research you will see that it is actually early but they are playing safe not knowing everyone's driving conditions and habits. Oil of today is waaaay different than oil of the old days (even 20 years ago. Then they called for the 5 thousand imperial mile oil change intervals. In this forum some folks like to change oil sooner but in reality that's because they are taught that way for 50 years now, not because they have to. For me, the owners manual is gospel for all my cars and never had any issues whatsoever even with high mileages.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:13 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I change the oil every 6,000 miles and use MINI OE filter and oil. The oil must be full synthetic and meet the specifications in the owners manual. There are other oils that are acceptable. Most MINI owners stick to the OE filter. 2009 MINI Clubman S. I don't think you mentioned if you have a turbocharged MINI...

Old 05-12-2016, 04:16 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Just noticed ECS Tuning has MINI oil change kits for 10% off and free shipping. Good deal!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4206304

Old 05-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
OP: have any idea what MINI recommends as interval? It is in the owner's manual and the OBC sends prompts .....

If you want to spend money and do more often the oil industry thanks you

BTW, the only time I had an oil change screwed up, it was at a dealer. Dealers don't assign the 'mechanics' to oil changes. They assign the guys that sweep the floor. Having my car handed back at a dealer I checked the dipstick {to their dismay} .... and found NO OIL. Oops, sorry . . .

At the last quick place I used, I sat in the car and watched them put in the oil and was then shown the level on the dipstick . . . .

Old 05-12-2016, 04:35 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
I change the oil in my JCW Clubman at 5,000 mile intervals; in fact, I did mine just a week or so ago. I hear folks saying that the recommended interval from MINI is fine, but frankly I'm skeptical. Back when my Clubman was new, the recommended interval was 15,000 miles; when I changed my oil last week at about 5,000 miles, the oil and filter were black as coal. I know I didn't put both in that way...

In practical terms, changing the oil change on a MINI isn't particularly hard, especially if it yours is a not a turbocharged model. But it will require a few tools and pointers. In the turbocharged models the coolant reservoir is in the way of the oil filter housing; you have to unscrew the fastener for that and move it out of the way (read that as delicately balance it on the nearby engine components) to gain access to the oil filter housing cover. Removing that will require a 27mm socket and about an 8-inch extender if you're using a ratchet. Access to the drain plug is pretty easy; it could probably be done simply by reaching underneath the front of the car, but I have a set of ramps that makes it easier to get at -- as well as to position the catch pan for the old oil. The drain plug removal will require an 8mm hex tool of some kind; I just used an 8mm Allen wrench.

Replacement oil filters are probably best bought online through specialty sources like Pelican Parts; they seem to have the best pricing on those -- but they do charge for shipping if the order total is below a certain threshold. So it's best to stock up when ordering. And remember to order new drain plug crush washers with the filters -- they don't come with the filter like in filter kits for BMW vehicles. I get the oil (Mobil 1 0W40 Euro) at Wal*Mart; they have a 5-quart jug (which is 1 quart more than you need) for US$20-25. All told, the supplies for an oil change will run me around US$30, plus an hour or so of my time to prep and stage the vehicle, do the work, and double-check everything.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:38 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by neonsteve
Just noticed ECS Tuning has MINI oil change kits for 10% off and free shipping. Good deal!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4206304
That's a GREAT frickin deal!!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:12 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do my own.

Topside oil changer, Mann filters, Mobil 1 0w40 (mini /BMW spec) oil.

Filters online, oil from Walmart.

Every 5k.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:01 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I change the oil in our clubster every 5,000 miles. Mobil 1 0w40 & an oem or Mann filter. Oil is cheap engines are not. Do whatever works for you.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 PM
clubgitmo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a heads up, as of November 2015, Mobil1 0w-40 is NOT BMW spec oil. Read about the new formulation here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...40#Post4015494

Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 AM
jasonl
1st Gear
Not turbocharged, 2012 Chili Clubman.

Apparently according to Mini...if I do it myself at this point, it voids the factory warranty. If I go to a shop, I have to have an electronically printed receipt, not a hand written one with all the details of the service, not to void the warranty.

God...this oil change is complex, lol.

J

Old 05-13-2016, 09:50 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by clubgitmo
Just a heads up, as of November 2015, Mobil1 0w-40 is NOT BMW spec oil. Read about the new formulation here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...40#Post4015494
Hmm. Hadn't heard that. Is 'approval' pending from BMW or are they removing it from their list of 'approved' oils entirely?

... Apparently according to Mini...if I do it myself at this point, it voids the factory warranty. If I go to a shop, I have to have an electronically printed receipt, not a hand written one with all the details of the service, not to void the warranty...
I'm not into the legalistic aspects of this, but I'm pretty sure there's a consumer-protection law in the U.S. that prevents manufacturers from voiding new vehicle warranties if basic maintenance (changing oil, replacing battery, rotating/replacing tires, etc.) is undertaken by the owner. You might want to call "BS" on your dealer if that's also the case in Canada.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:52 AM
jasonl
1st Gear
According to my manual, it says "only mini dealers are to perform oil changes" is this BS?

It also says that the only approved oils are:

BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30

BMW Long Life - 01

BMW Long Life - 01 FE

It also says literally 'no where' how often is recommended to perform and oil change in either the manual or service and warranty pamphlet, that's strange to me.

I just want to make sure I do this right because I still have 100,000km in warranty left.

J

Old 05-13-2016, 12:21 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by timfitz63
Hmm. Hadn't heard that. Is 'approval' pending from BMW or are they removing it from their list of 'approved' oils entirely?

I'm not into the legalistic aspects of this, but I'm pretty sure there's a consumer-protection law in the U.S. that prevents manufacturers from voiding new vehicle warranties if basic maintenance (changing oil, replacing battery, rotating/replacing tires, etc.) is undertaken by the owner. You might want to call "BS" on your dealer if that's also the case in Canada.
In the US there the Moss Magnusson Act. If they require that they do the maintenance then they must provide at their expense. OP is is Canada. http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
According to my manual, it says "only mini dealers are to perform oil changes" is this BS?

It also says that the only approved oils are:

BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30

BMW Long Life - 01

BMW Long Life - 01 FE

It also says literally 'no where' how often is recommended to perform and oil change in either the manual or service and warranty pamphlet, that's strange to me.

I just want to make sure I do this right because I still have 100,000km in warranty left.
Not trying to talk you into doing it yourself; that language in your warranty may fly in Canada. In the U.S., the manual may probably couldn't say such a thing because it may violate the "tie-in" sales provision of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in this country (see the section section on "'Tie-In Sales' Provisions" in the link provided by "DaGriz"). I guess that's up to lawyers and legislators to decide -- neither of which I am...

What you're dealer is telling you might be what is permissible under Canadian law -- that they can void the warranty if MINI does not perform even the oil changes. I guess it hinges on whether Canada has a law similar to the Magnuson-Moss Act...?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:12 PM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do my own oil changes somewhere between 4-6k miles...depending on my schedule and/or motoring conditions. I've gone as high as 7.5k once...only because it was the middle of winter, and the idea of laying on my frozen concrete garage floor when it was 5º outside didn't sound appealing (and I was still under warranty). I don't trust going 9-15k as MINI has recommended though. I get that it's synthetic, and for a Justa it might be okay...but with a turbo,that are somewhat known for using oil, I would never go that long.

For oil changes though, I use MINI oil filters (making the trip to my dealer, or ordering from OutMotoring or whoever has the best price), and I'll either get MINI 5W-30 synthetic from somewhere, or order AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-40 synthetic (which meets/exceeds all of BMW/MINI requirements). Either way, an oil change is somewhere in the ballpark of $60-70...still cheaper than a dealer...and I know it's done properly.

Quick Reply: R55 Oil Change Questions