R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New Mini For Me

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 PM
poor mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini For Me

Hi to everyone, On Saturday I bought a 2012 clubman with only 11,000 miles, almost made it home before the car on a lift showed up, along with none of the dash lights working. So today she went back to the dealership to be cured on Monday. They said the brakes were serviced, that might account for the can on lift, as for no dash lights or cig. lighter working, ?? This will be my daily driver for work. Love the car

Old 02-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Brakes serviced on 11,000 mile car? Is this a Mini dealer you bought it from?

Enjoy the car, but don't always believe the things they tell you. . . you have a good resource here to check things out.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Brutal-Force
2nd Gear
Sounds about right, I bought a "new" first title 2013 Clubman. It was a Mini Exec loaner. It had 11,000 miles on it. Shortly before 12,000 miles it needed to go in for service and while it was there it was due the brake inspection. It took them 3 hours. Reading the procedure for resetting lights and to do a REAL brake inspection, I could see it taking an hour or so to measure the pads and rotors. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but they probably just reset the lights.

As for the Interior lights and Cigarette Lighter.

Cigarette Lighter Fuse 42 in the Junction box. (see if the rear cigarette lighter has power) just to see if it has commonality, both are on the same circuit.

As far as no dash lights working. Are you saying none of the instrumentation works or just no lights?

From the Owners Manual Pg. 83/84. Using the left button on your Instrument Cluster

- Instrument lighting
You can adjust the brightness of the instrument
lighting only when the parking lamps or the low
beams are on.
The intensity of the brightness changes up to a
predetermined end point, and then decreases.

Adjusting brightness
> Briefly press button: brightness changes in
stages.
> Press and hold the button. Brightness
changes in a continuous manner.
Interior lamps
The interior lighting, the footwell lamps.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Brutal-Force; 02-09-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:36 PM
poor mini
1st Gear
Brutal-force, I test drove the car when it was still light out, but after all the paperwork was done, it was dark, place closed 30 min. before, so everyone was gone. Went to leave no dash lights, Went to get the owners manual, it was gone, also, bs. Ya, just the dash lights were not working, BMW said it was a relay, and they had one, also they have to repair/fix/program ?? what ever they have to do to get the extra key fob to work, the car wouldn't recognize it. I should get it back on Tuesday, It's killing me, they gave me a cry-ster 200 to drive, that's all they had on Sunday when I took it back to them. It was the 12,ooo mi. brake inspection & service, they didn't reset it correctly, at least that's what the dealer told me, a long time friend. In the mean time I'm reading a PDF of the manual, and ordered one from ebay. and trying to learn my way around the site, a lot to take in. This makes 3 German cars in the driveway.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:20 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome to the MINIacs...

Motor on!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Brutal-Force
2nd Gear
First thing I did was buy a Bently Repair Manual from Barnes and nobles for $85. I am a Auto Tech by trade and know that I will need it with this car. I looked for TSBs for your problem but there is nothing that stands out. I looked at the Wiring schematics for your vehicle and got the Fuse Number, however, I would want to check how you knew there was no power to the cig. lighter. If it was just a phone charger or something not working. If so then check that the rear isn't working as well. But if its something module related and they have a part on order, then I would say wait for them. As for not resetting it right.... yeah... par for the course. Unfortunately the Automotive Trade has become something less than desirable. Companies don't pay a tech what they are worth, so they hire guys straight out of school who have no experience. They end up being frustrated because they aren't earning any money, so they cut corners.

I hope you get your problem fixed.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:00 PM
poor mini
1st Gear
Got the car back today, everything is working now. The only thing I have to wait for is a new remote, which they had to order. Brutal-Force, you hit the nail on the head with the lack of experience/knowledge at the dealerships. Since this is my daily driver, had to have something new/newer than the 05 jeep GC I had. Now, the after work car is 45yrs. old, very simple to work on, no computer, carbureted. Spark, fuel, air, and away I go.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Brutal-Force
2nd Gear
The good news is... the thing causing mechanics to leave the trade is that the consumer has become smarter. You have access to tools, parts, and video tutorials. Makes it hard for a mechanic to make a living; however, if you choose to take it in for every nit-noid without reading up on it. Then be prepared to pay. You have 4yr./50k warranty to learn your car. Start with a repair manual for 80 dollars. You won't regret it.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brutal-Force
The good news is... the thing causing mechanics to leave the trade is that the consumer has become smarter. You have access to tools, parts, and video tutorials. Makes it hard for a mechanic to make a living; however, if you choose to take it in for every nit-noid without reading up on it. Then be prepared to pay. You have 4yr./50k warranty to learn your car. Start with a repair manual for 80 dollars. You won't regret it.

Very true. I still have several Bentley manuals from prior BMW's I have owned. Money well spent.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Brutal-Force
I'd bet that a very small minority of people are doing car repairs. It has become much harder to do so over the years. Cars were a lot simpler when I was a teen and we had manuals and tools and easy access to cheap rebuilt parts. Plus you could actually get to things without taking half the engine bay apart.