R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Water leak in spare wheel well!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
PlanetKid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leak in spare wheel well!

I have had a problem with water collecting in the spare tire well of my 2012 Clubman. Anyone else have that problem and if so so did you get it fixed?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Do you have the glass panoramic roof ?

Check the water hose in the rear they might be clogged or detached?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/54137174869/ES1834314/

Can you see where its coming from in number 3 in the below diagram.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
LeBlue (12-12-2018)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Mini Me R/C Racing
2nd Gear
I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I had a few inches of water in there last week. My spare tire foam thingy was floating! I agree with ECS Tuning (great website to order from BTW). I plan on checking the rear drain tubes for the moonroof. I feel confident that the culprit can be found there.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
MINI Me R/C Racing -

Thanks

Making sure they did not disconnect themselves or clogged from debris from the trap beside the rail.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 AM
rigormootis
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is great information. ECS comes through again.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 PM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
I had the same problem and it is now resolved. The issue is not the water drain, the issue is a bad seal between the body panels of the rear wheel well underneath the car. They must be resealed properly in order to prevent water ingress from underneath the car.

The origin of the fault is due to a factory defect and mine was repaired by the dealership. The fix requires they keep the car for 24 hours as they use epoxy to reseal the panels and it requires a 24 hour drying period (can't be allowed to get wet).

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by Mini Me R/C Racing
I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I had a few inches of water in there last week. My spare tire foam thingy was floating! I agree with ECS Tuning (great website to order from BTW). I plan on checking the rear drain tubes for the moonroof. I feel confident that the culprit can be found there.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 AM
nakman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniDeLux
I had the same problem and it is now resolved. The issue is not the water drain, the issue is a bad seal between the body panels of the rear wheel well underneath the car. They must be resealed properly in order to prevent water ingress from underneath the car.

The origin of the fault is due to a factory defect and mine was repaired by the dealership. The fix requires they keep the car for 24 hours as they use epoxy to reseal the panels and it requires a 24 hour drying period (can't be allowed to get wet).

Hope that helps.
Can you post up a picture of the repair? Or circle the offending area in one of the above diagrams? Thankfully I don't have inches of water, but definitely moisture down there. And the dealer here couldn't seem to replicate the problem.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 AM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
epoxy instead of welds for metal panels? this is how the big dig fell down

Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
It's up under the rear bumper. If I can fit my fat head under there I'll try to get you a photo or two...

Basically it's around where the wheel well and part 13 meet.

Originally Posted by nakman
Can you post up a picture of the repair? Or circle the offending area in one of the above diagrams? Thankfully I don't have inches of water, but definitely moisture down there. And the dealer here couldn't seem to replicate the problem.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Car smelt like a glue factory for about a week...

Originally Posted by MiniMello
epoxy instead of welds for metal panels? this is how the big dig fell down

Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 AM
b0rkman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniDeLux

Hope that helps.
Did the dealership charge you for the repair due to factor defect?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Indeed they did charge me claiming the car was out of the warranty period. I was upset about this and let them know it but didn't pursue it.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 AM
tom-nola
1st Gear
I also found water in my trunk. When I lifted the pad in my trunk, i noticed water stains under the pad on the left and right side. I reached into the tail lights and did not find any water nor water stains. I looked at the inside rear pillars and did not note any evidence of water running down. I looked at the seal of the hatch and did not find any water on the inside.

If it was the spoiler or third tail light, where will the water run down from.

We received a lot of rain and was driving through some puddles, maybe water was being forced through those small cracks in the wheel well...

By the way, aircraft use flex epoxy to seal joints for waterproofing. Hopefully, that is all I need to do...

Can water be forced through the spare tire hole? It does not have any gaskets to prevent water intrusion...

Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
MiniDelux -

Was it the bodywork adhesive K5B : Part number 83192157298 used for the rear #2 in diagram replacement. Its a tube of sealant for body repair. Was there a SM # for the service?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Yes, it was related to #2 in the above diagram. I don't have the SM for it readily available at the moment. They resealed it with waterproof sealant and had to keep the car 24hours for it to dry so there was no risk of the sealant getting wet.

If you really want the SM #, I can try to dig it up in a couple of days.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
MiniDelux -

Was it the bodywork adhesive K5B : Part number 83192157298 used for the rear #2 in diagram replacement. Its a tube of sealant for body repair. Was there a SM # for the service?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
Yeah, that's where I had the water collecting - in the spare wheel well under the styrofoam thingy that holds all the tire repair equipment.

The dealership explained to me that it was actually coming in from between the bodywork as the joins weren't sealed properly. I can only assume this is due to a bad manufacturing process at the factory, but they wouldn't do it as a warranty repair since I hadn't reported it within my 2 year warranty period.

It was definitely epoxy that they used to repair it, the car smelt like model airplane glue for a good week. Happy to report that I've had no more water ingress since they resealed it. If you plan a DIY, they did tell me they had to dismount the rear bumper and everything to get at the area in question.

Originally Posted by tom-nola
I also found water in my trunk. When I lifted the pad in my trunk, i noticed water stains under the pad on the left and right side. I reached into the tail lights and did not find any water nor water stains. I looked at the inside rear pillars and did not note any evidence of water running down. I looked at the seal of the hatch and did not find any water on the inside.

If it was the spoiler or third tail light, where will the water run down from.

We received a lot of rain and was driving through some puddles, maybe water was being forced through those small cracks in the wheel well...

By the way, aircraft use flex epoxy to seal joints for waterproofing. Hopefully, that is all I need to do...

Can water be forced through the spare tire hole? It does not have any gaskets to prevent water intrusion...

Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks, looks like its the same sealant stuff for the repair of the rear body panel, for damage. Bodywork adhesive K5B : Part number 83192157298 .

Yea, SM would help, then we can link it up for people that might have a problem outside the drain tube issues.

Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Minidogs2
Neutral
I had this repair done when my clubman was only 1 year old under warranty. But this summer my wife got hit in the back end. Now I just noticed it's leaking again so presumably the dealer who repaired it (not a MINI dealer) was not aware of any special sealing required.