R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Darryl_J
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof issues

The local salesman tells me the only way I can get heated seats is to order the package that includes the sunroof. (Canadian spec cars.)

I don't particularly want the sunroof, but I definitely want the heated seats. Minus 20 Centigrade is too cold to do without.

So... any pros and cons to the sunroof? I see in another thread that there isn't a proper shade to close the roof to prevent light (or curious onlookers) from getting in. But there seem to be after market shades.

Any way to get heated seats via the after market? And hopefully not ones that cost an arm and a leg. I really want heated seats, but the budget *is* limited.

--
Darryl

Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
I have no sunroof and heated seats. Not sure why it couldn't be done in Canada. You should be able to order either the cold weather package or heated seats alone. You could also do heated seats after market. I guess this shows how much I dislike Mini sunroofs....they are heavy, rattle, sometimes leak and have no shade. Even in mild CA they aren't worth it IMO.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
Just looked at he appears right...the have bundled heated seats with "comfort" in Canada and no option for it alone. Appears Mini has it in for Canada...I would go aftermarket heated seats and avoid the whole comfort group...

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear about you not being able to get the heated seats w/o sunroof.

I am probably in the minority here, on the forum that is, that has a sunroof and has no problems with it so far. My wife uses it EVERY day she drives and leaves the car parked outside her work in direct sunlight. The temps are now getting into the high 80's here with a stint at 90. No issues at all.

As far as the visibility through the roof....we have had ours tinted to 20% and it is GREAT! All the side windows and rear are tinted at our states max legal at 35%. Dealer tossed this in during our "negotiations"...LOL.

I am actually kind of enjoying the screen as opposed to the solid shade that comes in most vehicles. Gives you the feel of the open air but keeps out enough sun.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Mini
I have no sunroof and heated seats. Not sure why it couldn't be done in Canada. You should be able to order either the cold weather package or heated seats alone. You could also do heated seats after market. I guess this shows how much I dislike Mini sunroofs....they are heavy, rattle, sometimes leak and have no shade. Even in mild CA they aren't worth it IMO.
I guess this shows how much I like Mini sunroofs..I don't find them heavy, mine doesn't rattle, I have never had a leak (and I park on a steep Sausalito incline, which floods passed my pickup's sliding rear window), and the screen effectively blocks out approx. 50% of full sun. Totally worth it,IMO..even here in mild Sausalito and scorching central valley.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:43 PM
sgtjosh
2nd Gear
I don't mind the sunroof... I find the shades to be adequate even though they're not fully opaque.

The only issue I had with my sunroof was how it wouldn't open (without pushing up on the glass from the inside) on hot days... But this is attributed to the sun's heat expanding the glass / seals (hence "trapping" the sunroof), and not so much the design of the sunroof itself.

But since I got my Yakima 2-bike carrier, I can't really open the sunroof anymore anyway.

I do like being able to look up and check on my bikes though.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
in 20K miles through 35" of winter rains and 100* temperatures this spring we have had zero issues with out Sun Roofs. I do like having them

Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Sun roof for me also. Had the clubman since last summer and only 3 times has it gotten too hot for it to open. After a few min. of driving the roof opened fine it just had to cool down a bit. I also have a bike rack and like to check on the bikes.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:10 AM
58caddy
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate my sunroof. I use it, but would be happier without it. It adds an extra 35-40 pounds to the weight of the car and reduces structural rigidity which affects handling. Also, having lived in Phoenix (recently moved to Cincinnati) it made the overall temps inside the car considerably hotter in the summer and almost caused the air conditioning to nearly ineffective in the summer time. If I could change one thing about the car it would be to get rid of that sun roof.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:26 PM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Reviving a ten year old thread to hate on a sunroof?

Ok I love my sunroof....but I haven't had it a full summer in Canada yet.