R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Headliner rain leak but no sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:08 PM
WarEagle
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headliner rain leak but no sunroof

I have a 2009 Clubman S with no sunroof but for a few months now after a heavy rain my headliner is wet near the passenger visor by the A pillar. If it's bad enough water will also collect near the door seal and fuse panel near the floor.

All my searches came up with how to unclog or reconnect the sunroof drain tube. Is there a roof drain on non-sunroof models? I see a small gap in the drip rail that may be a drain. Could it be the windshield gasket?

Old 08-06-2015, 06:00 PM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headliner rain leak but no sunroof

I'd guess windshield. Spray it at a car wash and see

Old 08-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ditto on the windshield. As for testing, our best Glass Install guy will often use a small air nozzle and compressed air to shoot air against the suspected area leaking on a glass. It's suprising how often his technique will catch that leak that water testing with a hose didn't pick up.
I think with water, you have to hit the leak just right at times to get water into the vehicle for many types of seal or sealant leaks.
Other times, the water needs to have zero pressure and just gravity to do its work of slowly leaking into your car....
For those leaks, we usually get foiled by too much water pressure being slammed at the glass or seal, the water is just bouncing off since there's too much pressure being delivered.
So, take your time and you'll find it.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Maybe the Upper Windshield Trim Molding? Pure Red has a good point. Do you notice it wet after it sits there with water or right away when it starts raining? It could be a slow seeping leak or may appear right away.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 AM
WarEagle
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's hard to see the leak since it's just the headliner getting damp in the far passenger side corner. I never see it happening, I usually get back into the car after a heavy rain and it's damp. It doesn't happen after car washes if that matters. I think it may be the windshield gasket because I barely touched the gasket on the driver's side and my fingernail went straight through it.

If the windshield is in good condition can I pay to have it re-sealed? Not sure how much that would cost.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
100% it's a poorly replaced windshield.

As a side note if you had it done via insurance and it was SAFELITE that came too you and replaced it I can almost guarantee it was those monkeys that caused the leak. In fact I guarantee it was them.

Either way it's a windshield leak if you can. Simply set up a garden hose on mist and position it to hit the top of the windshield for about 1/2 hour. You'll find your leak.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 08-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
In addition without a sunroof the ONLY other point of entry is the antenna. Water does not flow up MR ISAC NEWTON and gravity have proven that

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 08-10-2015, 10:28 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by WarEagle
If the windshield is in good condition can I pay to have it re-sealed? Not sure how much that would cost.
The trim can be replaced, but as far as the sealant, I'm not too sure. Most windshield places break the windshield when removing it to replace. I'd call Safelite or a similar company to see what they have to say as far as resealing a windshield and not replacing one.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-10-2015, 10:49 AM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Not sure if you put in the windshield, but most shops have a lifetime guarantee on leaks. Worth a call if you know who put it in.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:28 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Maybe the Upper Windshield Trim Molding? Pure Red has a good point. Do you notice it wet after it sits there with water or right away when it starts raining? It could be a slow seeping leak or may appear right away.

Part 5 (foam gasket) on my car was leaking after a replacement windshield job - it is supposed to be replaced either side after a new windshield goes in. Its probably not your problem though if the water is higher up - I'd agree its likely the top seal #1.

Take care of this issue now. My brothers r53 was neglected and he has a $500 fuse panel connector repair going on now at the dealer.

Also, check your floor for water. Push your finger hard into the little holes for the car mat screws. If it comes up wet you need to take the seat out and lift the liner to dry it out (fan + wait 3 days). Remove the battery before taking the seat out (air bag light will come on if you dont).

Its not hard to do, just a pita.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:00 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Just about never use mine.
It often won’t close despite proper
alignment, cleaning and lubrication,
especially in warmer weather.
I only try it if there’s no rain in the
forecast and I have plenty of time to
take the control cover off and finish closing