R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Had any weird/funny reactions from other drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had any weird/funny reactions from other drivers?

I thought I'd seen it all and woah am I wrong! Some co-workers called Kazzie really cute. Another said my car was interesting to say the least. I was unprepared for not one but two bizarre incidents on the highway. I realllllly wished I had someone in the passenger seat with a digital camera to capture moments like this. I was driving down the highway on the far right lane on the way to work this morning. A short-haired brunette in large sunglasses was passing me on the far left lane in a MY Cooper. She put her arm over the passenger seat to look over her shoulder and took a verrry long look. I was a bit afraid for her because I thought she might rear-end someone! She was really hot. If she had bumped into me in the parking lot, she’d have my phone number by then! Maybe it’s a good thing it didn’t happen there!
About two minutes later, a silver Honda Civic was passing me. It had the bejeezus modded out of it. I don't think anything on it was stock! The passenger rolled down the window and leaned out to get a really good look at Kazzie before his friend passed me. Now I really REALLY wish I had a camera at the time. He was a DEAD RINGER for Vin Diesel! I mean, cmon, he had a shaved head and a cut-off white T-shirt with huge muscles. Maybe the actor has a brother nobody knows about!
Anyone else had any weird reactions from people upon seeing your Clubbie? I’d like to hear them too!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had one guy at a stoplight ask me if I modded the barn doors aftermarket or had bought the car with them. I explained that it came like that, and the car was a Clubman. He thought I was driving a Cooper.

Other than that just a lot of stares. My friends have questioned my sexuality and rag on me for buying a MINI, but I don't care because a) this car puts a smile on my face, whenever I drive it and b) the handling is amazing. I don't know if I could drive anything else again.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
About a year ago, I had a young lady flash me on I-65 as she and her friend drove past towards the beach.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:29 AM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
I was walking back to the Shortbus in the parking lot of a car show and some guy had stopped to look at it. He told his wife to check it out and she kept walking replying "Come on, that's a sh*tty little car." He left like his leash had been yanked. Poor man, I guess he won't be owning a Mini anytime soon.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:17 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
I had one guy at a stoplight ask me if I modded the barn doors aftermarket or had bought the car with them. I explained that it came like that, and the car was a Clubman. He thought I was driving a Cooper.
I had this happen to me a few times as well. Some people thought I did the coach work myself

Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Originally Posted by on2wheels
I was walking back to the Shortbus in the parking lot of a car show and some guy had stopped to look at it. He told his wife to check it out and she kept walking replying "Come on, that's a sh*tty little car." He left like his leash had been yanked. Poor man, I guess he won't be owning a Mini anytime soon.
Please tell me she was at least hot. That's is the only thing that could somewhat make up for her boneheaded comment.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
My car was in the parking garage at work. A woman co-worker that car pools with another told me that her friend wanted to know if I was going through a second childhood. I told her that I'm still in my childhood. I never left it.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
One local gas station attendant said when I was getting into my car, "Heyyy look...its a MINI Limo!"

Old 04-12-2009, 05:45 AM
Dark Knight
3rd Gear
My wife's(Hottie Chocolate) Clubman, still has reactions all the time ,and we have had the car a year. One time we were in IKEA eating and were looking out the window and a car pulled up and three people got out and walked around the car, looked in it, and stared at it for like 10 minutes. They had no idea we were watching them. Several times at traffic lights when people pull up they point start discussing amongst their passengers, and seem to be asking what is it. We have had many thumbs up when we ave been driving on the highway. Her car gets attention all the time. That is why we call her Clubman, "Hottie".

Old 04-13-2009, 03:10 PM
dr bubba
Neutral
Weird Reactions From Other Drivers

We're motoring in a 2009 Silver over BRG Clubbie, and we frequently get "looks" from people. They usually slow down and keep pace while they give us the once over ... and they invariably have smiles on their faces. Of course, this could be due to the badges I installed beside our rear license plate. I've got several which I rotate, but one typically reads "Actual Size 1:1" and the other reads "Caution Driver Having Fun" or "If You Can Read This You're Too Close" or "Stop Staring At My Boot."

What I've noticed with growing frequency is the number of other MINI drivers who won't wave. They tend to stare straight ahead and won't extend the courtesy of the "MINI Wave" ... even if I pass right next to them. One of the the things I like about motoring in my MINI is the wave I receive from other MINI "family members." I guess I'm gonna have to get another badge that reads "Save The Wave." Have the rest of you noticed this "breech of MINI etiquette" or is it just me?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Carve906
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dr bubba
What I've noticed with growing frequency is the number of other MINI drivers who won't wave. They tend to stare straight ahead and won't extend the courtesy of the "MINI Wave" ... even if I pass right next to them. One of the the things I like about motoring in my MINI is the wave I receive from other MINI "family members." I guess I'm gonna have to get another badge that reads "Save The Wave." Have the rest of you noticed this "breech of MINI etiquette" or is it just me?
I've noticed a bit more, now that there are more MINIs on the roads around here... but I've also noticed that in the colder months there are less waves also. Either way, I still wave at them all! (and flash the headlamps, maybe even toot the horn if need be! )

Strangest thing I've had happen was when I had my '06 MC at the gas station... older guy comes over and asked if it ran on gasoline and then if our dog was able to drive since it was so small . I promptly told him, "yep, she can, but I won't let her... it's too much fun!"

Old 04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
We have a bunch of people stare at our Tuxman. HTClubman was out shopping and a woman was behind the car just staring at it as she walked up to the car. The Clubman rocks.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kimbo80
Please tell me she was at least hot. That's is the only thing that could somewhat make up for her boneheaded comment.
Uh, not in the least! Older...

Old 04-15-2009, 11:52 AM
SirParlan
2nd Gear
I like the reaction when people are expecting some young little hottie to get out of our clubman and instead they see a 6'5" guy in his 40's climb out.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Parkerton
4th Gear
One thing I've noticed is that it's a lot easier to merge in the Clubman...people tend to allow you into the lane willfully - because they want to check out the car.

As for getting a wave from MC owners, I have to say, I've definitely noticed a what I perceive to be MC snobbery. For instance, just this morning, I was side by side w/ a MC and the driver would not look over...I must've looked over 3 times eager to give an acknowledging wave. I wonder if some MC owners just resent the MCC thinking it's not a true MC???

Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Parkerton
One thing I've noticed is that it's a lot easier to merge in the Clubman...people tend to allow you into the lane willfully - because they want to check out the car.

As for getting a wave from MC owners, I have to say, I've definitely noticed a what I perceive to be MC snobbery. For instance, just this morning, I was side by side w/ a MC and the driver would not look over...I must've looked over 3 times eager to give an acknowledging wave. I wonder if some MC owners just resent the MCC thinking it's not a true MC???
On your first comment, I need to move where you live! Where I live, it's every driver for him/herself! You have to force your way into the lanes to pass!

And the other comment, there could be some truth to that. I've read on other MINI message boards (NOT NAM) and one thread made my blood boil. The owner of one MCC thinks someone in a regular MC deliberately keyed his car because he hated the Clubbie. Golly, what is WRONG with some people?

When the guy posted that thread, quite a few others jumped on it saying they had their Clubbies keyed too. Gee, haven't those "fans" learned: if you don't like it, forget about it! The haters already have their own cars so why are they attacking Clubbies? Sheesh. BTW, I think the Scion is just corny but I don't dent/scratch one when I walk by one. I don't care! I have the car I wanted so I don't feel jealous about other cars. Why can't the Clubbie haters do the same?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Carve906
5th Gear
Personally, I think the lack of waves (both towards my MC AND my MCClub) is more due to the "dilution" of the MINI fan base now that the car is more popular b/c it's "good on MPG" and now that you can find used ones easier on random dealer lots. I think more and more people are picking one not b/c they LOVE the car, but b/c of a deal or mpg.

Sad, but I think too many people aren't informed of the Wave. That being said, I've noticed I occasionally get a confused wave back when I get really excited and wave a bit TOO enthusiastically!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SirParlan
I like the reaction when people are expecting some young little hottie to get out of our clubman and instead they see a 6'5" guy in his 40's climb out.
I can top that. I've seen a guy in his 60s walking up to the PW Clubbie parked next to my car! Better late than never!

Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
Last week, I was stopped at a light next to a guy in his 50's. He was driving a nice Mercedes SUV. It was a nice day, so our windows were down. He commented how much he liked my Zuggy; reminded him of the old days.

Then, yesterday as I was preparing to pull out of a gas station, only to realize that there was a guy standing directly behind my Zuggy, who just couldn't take his eyes off my car. I'm not sure if he really liked it, or was a little confused by it.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 AM
tancred
4th Gear
I occasionally see someone in another car point out my Clubman to another occupant, and then move both hands like they're on hinges to illustrate how the barn doors work. Cracks me up every time.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tancred
I occasionally see someone in another car point out my Clubman to another occupant, and then move both hands like they're on hinges to illustrate how the barn doors work. Cracks me up every time.
I've seen that a couple of times too...funny stuff!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:49 PM
dr bubba
Neutral
Weird Reactions To MCC

Originally Posted by SirParlan
Heh, heh ... You're talking about ME! I'm a 60+ 6'6" retired guy and when I get out of our BRG Clubbie I get some interesting looks. When my entire family ... my wife's 5'10" and my daughter's 6'1" ... gets out of the Clubbie people stand stand and stare. Cracks me up every time this happens. I love driving our MCC and I love sticking a pin in the balloon of people's expectations. I haven't had this much fun in years!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
3 today, all whilst parked. 1st one just wanted to know what it was because she had never seen one before...but now wants to get one. 2nd and 3rd one went waaaaaaa-yyyyyyyy out of their way to drive up next to it and check it out in the parking lot. 3rd one was a disabled driver and he was digging the club door...lots of questions from the 3rd one. cost, mileage, trim options, satisfaction rating, etc. 2nd one took off once they figured out the owner was approaching the car. 3rd one considered it, actually apologized for ogling, but i told them it's not a big deal...i get that a lot.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:53 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I especially appreciated the guy cruising in his classic MG TD, flashing a thumbs-up as we met.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
TsPoet
2nd Gear
A guy filling his car at an adjacent gas pump last night walked over, looked at my Clubbie, then asked how much it cost me to stretch my MINI and what body shop did the work.

Quick Reply: R55 Had any weird/funny reactions from other drivers?