R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Strange noise from clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:22 AM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange noise from clutch...

I've been noticing lately that my clutch has an intermittent strange noise. It sounds somewhere between a whine, and a metal on metal grinding noise.

Mostly noticible in stop and go traffic and it only happens when I am releasing the clutch in 1st gear.

I learned on a manual way back when and I consider myself a pretty decent at clutch... I only have 11,000 miles and don't think the clutch could be going already...

So has anyone had this issue before, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be? I tried searching for another post on this topic but found nothing.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 AM
azminiman
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mine has been doing this too since it was new... My feeling is its the same issue with duel mass flywheel of the past.. I just had my cluch and flywheel replaced in my GP for this...

Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your flywheel is glazed and you may also have a symptom of uneven wear of the clutch plate springs. Both of these problems plagued the 1st gen R53 MINI and the crappy OEM LuK clutches seems to have moved onto the R56 and R55 with the same exact set of problems.

Take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it under warranty. Is not gonna get any better. Trust me, my 2005 R53 MCS has had 2 clutch/flywheel replacements in 50K miles, all done under warranty, no questions asked.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
MBX5
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same thing all summer was in at 3 dealers and all said it was normal. Then 3 months ago I was in FL and took it in again for some stuff and this dealer told me it was wrong. They replaced it and said they had some kind of note on the clutch. I still have yet to confirm the letter but they did replace it under warranty.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 PM
spinningpl8s
Neutral
I think I have this same issue... Sounds like a high pitched whine at around 10 mph with the clutch pressed. The pitch of the sound changes depending on accelerating or breaking. And only easy to hear with the windows down. Guess I will schedule a service appointment!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 AM
jupiterfish
2nd Gear
same here

Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 PM
veloci1
1st Gear
I dropped off my 2011 S Clubman for the this very reason. they kept it all day and told me they could not duplicate the problem. i went to the dealer, had the service clerk go to my car with me. i had him drive the car out of the lot and he heard it. he was surprised that the tech did not hear it. we got the shop foreman to come and listen to it. he said he was going to keep the car another day or so. he also said that if he finds out that it is the clutch, i have to pay for it first and then, they will give me credit if the BMW/Mini rep decides that i did not cause the problem. i am really upset about this way of doing business. is that the way BMW/Mini does business?

if it is, i might have to look some where else for a new car. my Clubman only has 2400 miles.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 PM
veloci1
1st Gear
Dealer called today to confirm that they will be replacing the clutch. also, i was told that if the BMW/Mini reps feels like it was user caused, i will have to pay for it. i am not that is for sure. but, i am sure it is going to be a battle.

with that said, i really like the car, but, after reading a lot of different forums and articles, it seems that if you have this issue this early in the life of the car, it tends to repeat itself every 10000 miles or so. i could not afford to replace the clutch once a year.

do i have to sell it now?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
If you EVER want to feel good about a car purchase, NEVER join a forum. EVERY forum EVERYWHERE will make you doubt a car purchase. It's the nature of the beast. Just drive it and enjoy it.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 AM
veloci1
1st Gear
well, my 2011 Clubman is still at the dealer. i was contacted today to let me know the BMW has authorized more work on my car. i asked: what does that mean? what else are you fixing? answer: " i do not know , but, i will let you know once i know."

unbelievable!!! i have had Fords since the 80's and i never had any issues with any of them. 2000 Mustang Roush, 2001 F150 Lightning, 2007 Ford Edge and never had to take them to the shop except for regular maintanence.

i'd like to hear your opinions reagrding selling the car. it only has 2400 miles and it has been at the shop for over a week.

does anyone know if i can make the dealer buy it back?

Last edited by veloci1; 10-12-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:50 PM
veloci1
1st Gear
BMW/Mimi is paying this bill. the only drawback is that they do not have the replacement clutch kit and it will not come in until next wednesday. in other words, it will be a week before i see my car again.

do you think that if i buy the Craven Speed short shifter and NM shift box that the shop will install it for free? it is the best opportunity, right?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
A dealer, unless they're the coolest ever, will no install non-OEM parts.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 PM
veloci1
1st Gear
after 3 weeks at the shop, i got my car back today. they replaced the clutch, pressure plate and t/o bearing. they did not even try to charge me a dime after all the e-mails and phone calls i made to different people. i went as far as taking pictures of my flywheel so if this happens in the future, i will have proof that the flywheel look new and did not have to be replaced. that indicates that the clutch or some component was defective and i was not my driving.

now, when i went to take the pictures i almost had a heart attach. half my car was taken apart. headlights were off, intake was off, front wheels, brakes and the sub frame assembly that holds the front end and steering pump were off my car. all these parts were in the corner of the shop and my car looked like it was on an assembly line at the factory.

i asked if i was going to need an alignment and shop foreman said no. he stated that all the steering components were attached the the sub assembly and nothing had been moved. i did not buy this, but, took his word for it. well, guess what? as i was driving home today, the car pulls slightly to the right and i have a vibration from 60 to 70 mph. here we go again back to the dealer Monday in order to have the car checked.

i am amazed at the level of incompetence at the dealers. no common sense and the "i know it all" attitude. i love driving this car, i missed it and i am hoping this is just bad luck and that everything will turn out ok.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine also has this issue. Dealer replaced the clutch last year under warranty and now it's starting to make the noise again.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM
veloci1
1st Gear
Performance, how many miles on the new clutch?

i am thinking about asking the dealer to buy it back. i'd rather get the automatic. the saddest part is that i put half the cost of the car cash as a down payment. i tried trading it in today and i was going to lose over $3500.

i really like the car, but, what a saga.i know this is a fun car to drive with excellent handling and MPG, but, at was cost. one repair for the clutch and your gas savings for a couple of years go up in smoke.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veloci1
Performance, how many miles on the new clutch?

i am thinking about asking the dealer to buy it back. i'd rather get the automatic. the saddest part is that i put half the cost of the car cash as a down payment. i tried trading it in today and i was going to lose over $3500.

i really like the car, but, what a saga.i know this is a fun car to drive with excellent handling and MPG, but, at was cost. one repair for the clutch and your gas savings for a couple of years go up in smoke.
Clutch was replaced in Sept 2010 and I've put 8250 miles on the new one and I noticed the squealing noise was back again a couple weeks ago. I only have the problem after being in stop and go traffic for extended periods of time or after a long road trip that transition into city traffic. So heat seems to be the common factor for me. Extended warranty looks like a good option at this point. Clutch replacement is $$$$.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 AM
veloci1
1st Gear
i did purchase the extended warranty, but, the problem is convincing BMW/Mini that is not your driving habits. it is tiresome. imagine getting a new clutch every 11000 to 15000 miles. that is just crazy.

you are correct, the problem is heat. i did get the noise during traffic or after a long trip. i went to Las Vegas and once i got off the freeway i heard the noise for the first time.

i have 150 miles on the new clutch. but, i have other issues now after the dealer took half the front of the car apart. pulling to the right now and a slight vibration between 60 and 70 mph. none of those issue were there before the dealer did the work. now, they are questioning that.

A Subaru WRX is sounding really good right now. i know the MPG are not even close, but, it is a fun car to drive.