R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Anyone sick of Clubman Reviews Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 PM
minimarine
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone sick of Clubman Reviews Yet?

I anxiously read each and every Clubman review for the past 6+ months on this site as I patiently waited for mine, so I figure it's time for me to put in my 2 cents and satisfy all those other lurkers trying to decide to take the plunge or not.

I didn't actually have to wait 6 months for delivery, I just had to wait that long to come home from deployment (which in a strange way probably made the wait easier). Over that period of time, I sometimes questioned my purchase looking at other less expensive or perhaps more practical cars. These thoughts all disappeared the second I hit the start button and are all but distant memories after a week with the car. Bottom line, I love this car!

There are plenty of reviews here, so I'll try to just touch on the things that I was worried about or impressed me the most. First off, the car looks much smaller from the outside than I remember from my test drive (nearly 10 months ago), but it also seems much bigger on the inside than I remember. Some kind of visual voodoo going on here for sure.

I went with the standard leatherette seats (more for price than anything else), and they are FAR nicer than I had remembered. They ain't leather, but they look very nice and the perforated grey insets are a nice sporty touch. Pics really don't do the seats justice. I've already have a few people mistake them for leather. I also stuck with the standard "checkered" grey trim for the same reason, but I have to admit I like it. It almost has a carbon fiber look to it and adds a nice touch.

The view out the back is weird for about an hour. Beyond that, I don't feel like you lose any real visibility. If you are bothered by any or all obstructions, it might drive you crazy, but anything that would be blocked by the center column would be too far back to be of concern.

The center speedo is big. Very big. But I have grown to like it. When I think of the other option being a plain blank dash, I start to realize that it adds character to the car. As an engineer, the quirky controls and questionable ergonomics bother me on a fundamental level. It seems a little wrong to have to give a 5 minute brief on how to operate a vehicle, but you know what? I don't really care. The car is for me and once you understand the controls and quirks, it's easy, very easy to operate everything. Some magazine reviews can be a little misleading on the complexity of things because they don't spend enough time with the car to become familiar with everything.

I am in love with the comfort access option! I know other premium cars have this as an option, but this is my first. The iPhone integration (music and phone) are near perfect. What was unnatural and a hassle in my VW is effortless in the MINI. Never having to take my key out of my pocket makes my life so much easier, and I even love the auto lights and wipers! Even less crap to worry about and just focus on driving or doing what I want.

I'm coming from a VW GTI, and I used to think that was fun to drive. After a few days in the Clubbie, I realize how much squat and body roll that ol' VW really had! This thing is SOLID. The getrag manual is smoother than a hot poker in a vat of sweet-cream butter. Again, I loved the 6-speed in the GTI, but the MINI blows it away.

On the ride home from the dealer, I averaged 37.2MPG! It's dropped to 36 throughout the week, but still very impressive. Granted, this is with easy, pre-break-in style driving, but the main thing that made me go with the Clubbie is the 2-in-1 persona of this car. It's an econobox when you need it and a race car when you want it.

I promise to post some pictures of my new toy when the weather and my work schedule cooperates. Thanks to all the NAM members who kept my interest over the long 6 months and satisfied my Clubbie habit while overseas! Now I get to stop dreaming and start motoring!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
after reading review after review, I also wondered if we made the right decision. But reading positive reviews here on NAM and our own test drives help to ease our concerns.

After picking up our Clubbie we have never enjoyed a car so much, we fight over who drives it. Our PW/S Clubman S Manual is such a great car. Great mileage, room in the back seat, looks great, quick, nimble.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 PM
zoltiz
3rd Gear
I hate you guys. I have at least a month of wait left.

On a serious note - great review. Very inspirational.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:24 PM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
Yeah the clutch and getrag manual is pretty freaking solid. Feels like you're shifting gears in a $1,000,000 car--no kidding.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 AM
minimarine
2nd Gear
A few things I forgot to add: It's a Pepper White / Black Clubman S with convenience package, cold wx package, auto climate control, and invisishield on the whole front end.

Oh yeah, and Checkered Flag MINI of Va Beach made this the easiest and most pleasurable car buying experience I've ever had.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 AM
Casey Jones
3rd Gear
I'm happy for you. and jealous.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 AM
MrDimple
Banned
Yo' minimarine, first, thank you for your service, your a patriot and second I loved your review on your pepper white baby, good deal I am glad you like it. call me at 704-320-0700 and I will give you a special discount on Dimple products for your car. 16mm drain plug for your engine and the 2 18mm plugs for your gertrag, fill plug and drain plug, E-mail me and I will send you a picture of our new HUGE magnets supplied now with the 18mm. put them in and forget them, keeps your gertrag like new. rjodoin@carolina.rr.com

Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
I never get tired of reading reviews from people who give the car an honest (or favorable) look. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I hated the two or three reviews I read where the person went into the review disliking Minis.

Congrats on the new car! I'm rather jealous.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 AM
NeuroticRobot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mongorama
I never get tired of reading reviews from people who give the car an honest (or favorable) look. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I hated the two or three reviews I read where the person went into the review disliking Minis.

Congrats on the new car! I'm rather jealous.
I think I partially contributed to the downsides of the CLubman with my review. Good thing it was so long that not too many took time to read it.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 AM
tpetro33
4th Gear
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Nice to read a real-world writeup from an owner. You have addressed a lot of concerns that I have as i decide to go the clubby route for my next vehicle.

Happy motoring, hope you have a fast break in period!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Very nicely done!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I have to admit that I'm a little jealous. I kind of regret not getting a Clubman this go 'round. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my MCS coupe, but the Clubman is just such a neat car. I've already decided that when the time comes to get another MINI, the Clubbie S is the one! (Maybe even a JCW - and of course in CR/B)

Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NeuroticRobot
I think I partially contributed to the downsides of the CLubman with my review. Good thing it was so long that not too many took time to read it.
I read your review, and thought it was dandy. What I'm referring to are a couple of reviews of Clubmans I read from car review sites that were trying to seem objective, but totally weren't. One started off the review talking about how ugly the car was. Another said the only people who should consider buying the Clubman are lifestyle junkies with too much money on their hands... My impression was that the reviews came from people who were really annoyed they weren't reviewing a tricked out Dodge Viper.

Reviews that are given about the Clubman are dandy. Reviews that focus on what the Clubman is not bother me. :D

Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM
danny 1940
2nd Gear
Thanks for taking the time to write the review and thank you for your service. I have a PW/B Clubman 6sp as well and I'm thrilled with it. I've read all the reviews and find myself looking for problems. Crazy but it happens after reading the negative. I'm confident that the Minis are well made and can take a lot of abuse. As the majority do, I throughly enjoy mine. Thanks again, Dan