R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Dirty Boot... Dusty Wheels...clubman

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 AM
MiniMarz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty Boot... Dusty Wheels...clubman

Does anyone know if there is a rear spoiler out for the R55 (clubman) yet? I see things listed for the other models, but not the clubman. I am WAY to lazy to clean my car every friggin day, and it is looking like hell most of the time.

On to the wheels... how much brake dust can one car produce?! Again, I just can't make myself clean those wheels every day. What can I do to prevent this? Brake easier? Some kind of shields? My nice wheels are always black... great.

Marz

Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
I try to clean my wheels once a week weather permitting. Last week I cleaned only the wheels on a 40 degree day..winter will be tough on me I guess. At this point, I have not seen an answer to the dust. I can usually make it to the weekend before I get OCD about them!
The rear area is dusty sometimes, just the way it goes. My car doesn't show dust too easily, I am glad I don't have a lighter color!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:36 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If it's even remotely damp, the **** end of the Clubman gets scroaty.

Brake dust? I'm guessing if you do a search for "brake dust" here on NAM, you might either overload your computer, the forum server, or both.

Thanx, BMW...

Old 11-26-2008, 10:41 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, lots of info around here on brake pads. In short: Hawk Ceramic Pads.

And the dirty boot ? Nothing you can do about that. It's the aerodynamics of these MINIs. Just try not to drive on wet roads (I know, easier said than done, right ?) and get yourself some Microfiber and Quick Detail spray.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM
austex
2nd Gear
There is a spoiler:
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...r_spoiler.html
Also available from dealer in silver or primer, as well as black.

I think what you want, though, is an air deflector to flush air down over the rear doors, more like this:
http://www.lundinternational.com/lun...____truck.aspx
Haven't seen one of these specfically for Clubman. With the roof overhang where the 3rd brakelight sits, not sure an air deflector is going to be effective at dust mitigation - deflector needs to create a high-pressure flow right along the doors' surface

Last edited by austex; 11-26-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Gregg
1st Gear
I have the factory roof spoiler, see gallery, as for the dirty rear, it's always the dirtest part of the car with the exception of the wheels. If you want it to really look bad turn on the rear washers and it reaally shows how much crud is back there as it washes down.

When it's all said and done it's still the most fun car to drive and I will live with the dirty rear (between washes).

Happy Thanksgiving All

Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gregg
If you want it to really look bad turn on the rear washers and it reaally shows how much crud is back there as it washes down.
That's why I usually wash it by hand before taking a trip. However, I still run the rear washer every so often to keep it operating smoothly. From my experience, neglecting a mechanical part can sometimes lead to minor problems a few years down the road.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by MiniMarz
I am WAY to lazy to clean my car every friggin day, and it is looking like hell most of the time.
Do what I do every week-touchless car wash, with a microfiber detail dry-down. Takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how 'into it' you are. I STILL haven't vacuumed it yet, in three months...but I have dumped the beach sand from the rubber mats. :D

Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 PM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
Welcome to the world of MINI... the rear and the wheels are almost always dirty.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
Slap a set of ceramic pads on there asap. That kills the dust problem. I put them on at 600 miles.....big difference!!

Old 11-27-2008, 05:02 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Something that has really helped for me personally(regarding the dirty boot), is applying a very slick wax. Dusting is alot easier and quick detail takes almost no time at all. Without the slick wax, the dust on the boot takes more effort to remove and quick detailing becomes problematic(it just moves the dirt around and cause micro scratches).

Someone had told me to spray a slight mist of static guard on the boot. Supposedly it helps prevents dust from sticking. Neither of this really helps with wet dirt though. :P

Old 11-27-2008, 05:12 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Alphawave
Do what I do every week-touchless car wash, with a microfiber detail dry-down. Takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how 'into it' you are. I STILL haven't vacuumed it yet, in three months...but I have dumped the beach sand from the rubber mats. :D
Those touchless car washes are okay for getting off most of the dirt and contaminants. If they had enough water pressure to take off all the "gunk", they'd also take off your wax.

Once in a while, okay. But to use that as your normal washing routine, after a while you're going to see a film of dirt on your paint (or maybe not, depending on how much time you spend looking at your MINI).

Go at it with a clay bar once and compare the clayed paint to the unclayed paint and you'll see.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:37 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
I believe regular hand washing will take wax off but the touchless tends to accelerate this process. Just check on how well water is beading off your car. Tall and small diameter droplets are good, large flat ones aren't.

I usually do a coat of wax after my weekly washing. Winter is starting to hit WI so I've maintained washing at 10-11 days between washes. Once it gets really cold, I'm just gonna do the touchless, claybar when necessary and continue the one wax per wash. I wouldn't throw on a coat of wax if the surface isn't extremely clean though.

Can't wait till spring hits, then I'm gonna bust out the PC.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:47 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Sure, regular hand washing will take the wax off... in about 30 or so washes. So will mother nature and time.

Touchless or those high pressure wands will do it after just a couple of washes though, if they're using enough pressure to actually clean the vehicle.

Wash the car at least every couple weeks by hand and apply a good coat of wax at least twice a year. Your MINI will love you back.

And if your a fanatic like some of us, you'll invest in a PC buffer and some good polish, along with a clay bar and keep your MINI looking brand spanking new.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:59 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
I am pretty OCD about the condition of my new Clubman and wailed like crazy when I bumped into a rear wall. Just gave him(I refuse to call him a her), a hand wash, PC some scuffs on rear bumper(not sure where I got them but they came off rather easily), clay bar and few coats of wax. Guess what? I noticed 2 rock chips on my bonnet! Bah, I knew I heard couple of dings while on the freeway. Now I gotta get touch up paint and get that fixed before salt eats the open wound alive. :(

Before heading off today for Thanksgiving, I'm gonna do a quick detailer and throw on a final coat of clear seal. That oughta make him shineeeeeee~

Old 11-27-2008, 06:03 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Can't help you with the backing into walls or the dings. But, as for the rock chips on the bonnet, I have two words for you:

Clear.

Bra.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:43 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my first MINI 1/03. Got my second in 5/07. Life altering. Dusting off the boot (if only the glass) and cleaning my wheels several times a week is like tending a garden or walking your dog.....good for the soul, real salt-of-the-earth stuff....almost Zen-like. Embrace it.....feeeeeeel the force. Nevermind what the neighbors think.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:06 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
I think we've talked about this before...

Gregg has a the "smooth" spoiler. I have the "kinky" (JCW) spoiler which the link austex posted shows. AFAIK, neither one significantly helps with keeping the rear any cleaner.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:06 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get Wheel Wax product for the wheels. I gave up on keeping them clean long time ago. The OEM BMW brake pads are nothing but a black dust factory.

Wheel Wax helps maintain the wheels cleaner longer and helps avoid brake dust to get embedded in the wheels. Also makes them easier to clean.

Google: Wheel Wax

Old 11-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
For a spoiler to work it has to point down to push air down along the boot. I have one on my Jeep Liberty and it keeps about 50% of the goo off the rear area; I've yet to see one like that for the Mini. Brake dust.... All I can say is I'm glad my wheels are black!

Attached Thumbnails Dirty Boot... Dusty Wheels...clubman-spoiler.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008, 04:30 PM
portablevcb
3rd Gear
Heck, you guys should try living on a dirt road!

Brake dust? Where? Maybe under all the other dirt?