R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Finish Defects: How much are unacceptable?

Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 PM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finish Defects: How much are unacceptable?

I'm supposed to pick up my new PW/PW MCCS on Wednesday. I've already posted on the missing Anthracite headliner that seemed to affect Week 36 and Week 37 builds (i.e., Anthracite ordered, Standard Installed, a factory whoops but they shipped them anyway).

Went to the dealer to look my car exterior over without the MA pressuring to get me out the door (My MA seems very nice however). I found a scuff (?) on one of the plastic wheel well pieces and this (see below pix) on the back club door edge. Nothing like it on all the other Clubbies on the lot.

Trying to gauge the level of freak out that should ensue.

Attached Thumbnails Finish Defects: How much are unacceptable?-club-door-flaw.jpg   Finish Defects: How much are unacceptable?-wheel-well-scuff.jpg  
Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
Any little scratch or scuff in unacceptable when picking up a brand new, ordered car. I found some scraped paint on mine and had them fix it on the spot. You paid for a shiny new car. Anything less than that is unacceptable.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
imnothng
1st Gear
I agree with Dragon, totally unacceptable on a NEW car.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:30 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You should definitely have them repair/replace the pictured parts, but you won't need to "freak out" about it - just point it out and they'll fix it. This kind of stuff happens all the time and is no big deal. The dealer will have seen it before.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 PM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Just to be fair on the scuff issue to the Dealer, the car hasn't been through final detail yet, so it might just go away.

The poor QC on the door seems a bit much though.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:32 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Whatever you can't accept is unacceptable. If it's gonna bother you, get it fixed or don't take the car.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:16 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
The first one is unacceptable and I would insist on it being fixed to your satisfaction. I wouldn't sweat over the second one, as it looks like something that will rub out with their final detail process and be gone when you pick it up. If not, I'd bet some 303 Aerospace Protectant, trim/tire shine, or the like would rub it right out. Good Luck with it!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you have your MA take notes on every part of the car that isn't perfect. I had a tiny scratch (less than 1/2"), barely visible on the drivers side piano black trim. It was deep enough your finger nail would catch it. I asked my MA what they would do and he said they would be happy to replace that piece. Same thing for a scratch on the rear lower valence (the black part on the lowest edge of the rear bumper). It had a 2-3" scratch. They replaced the piece. It took about a month or more for them to get it in stock though.

If the fender trim is still bad after they prep the car, demand a new piece. Also note any paint imperfections. Mine ended up getting the front bumper repainted due to the factory's mistakes on the original paint.

You can take the car at delivery, but make sure then note any imperfections. They have a specific form for these. None of the fixes cost me anything.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:51 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
As with everyone else, both issues need to get fixed. If this wasn't a "brand new" car I'd say don't worry about it. As it is, the 2006 MCS that I bought from MINI of Peabody in September had "less" damage. Granted it was an executive car and had 2500 miles on it, but the only issue was a small scratch under the side turn signal and a paint chip on the hood. You shouldn't settle for a compromise. Not on a new car. Just be polite and they will/should follow up with their responsibility.

If the wheel arch cover is scuffed, it shouldn't be a problem at all to fix, at least if the covers haven't changed since the R53. It's practically a $20 part and has height adjustors to match the other panels, just make sure the paint around the arch isn't scratched as they take off the old one as it is easy to scratch the paint.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Make them fix it totally unacceptable. Not sure what that is on the door but looks like the whole door needs to be replaced sorry no bondo or any other half a** fix is acceptable on a new car! As for the scuff on the wheel well replace the part!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:45 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aCEEPT NOTHING BUT perfection

Old 10-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
The first one is unacceptable and I would insist on it being fixed to your satisfaction. I wouldn't sweat over the second one, as it looks like something that will rub out with their final detail process and be gone when you pick it up. If not, I'd bet some 303 Aerospace Protectant, trim/tire shine, or the like would rub it right out. Good Luck with it!
I bet it would too and if I damaged it myself I might try it however this it not acceptable fix on a new car .

Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
When we picked up our 07 Mellow Yellow MCS I saw a clear coat run just inside the right headlamp and a slight bead at the back right side of the hood. I didn't worry too much about it. I own a bodyshop and fully understand NOTHING is perfect. EVER. I had the general manager worried, but he literally sighed a relief when I told him I wasn't worried about it. Factory paint is ALWAYS more durable than a repaint, so a minor imperfection wasn't that big of a deal. Especially since just over a year into ownership, the boy child was driving it New Years Eve and the car in front of him threw up a major piece of wood on the interstate. That hit killed the hood, left headlamp and front bumper. Kinda made a little drip and bend insignificant.

We should be seeing our new Clubman in a month or so. I'll look it over too, but again, won't sweat the small stuff.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 AM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
I agree with all of the above. A brand new car should be in BRAND NEW condition upon delivery. I wouldn't tolerate anything less.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:37 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RaceFace
I agree with all of the above. A brand new car should be in BRAND NEW condition upon delivery. I wouldn't tolerate anything less.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
^^ Me too.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Update on Dealer's response (Otto's)

The sales manager called to discuss above issues. They shared the same sentiments that most expressed above: no finish defects are acceptable. They sent the car to body shop for fix on rear door and will replace the plastic trim if it doesn't clean up right. Pick up got pushed back a couple days. (They also offered to allow me to reorder the car if desired, uh, no thanks.) I'm satisfied with their response.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by srahaim
The sales manager called to discuss above issues. They shared the same sentiments that most expressed above: no finish defects are acceptable. They sent the car to body shop for fix on rear door and will replace the plastic trim if it doesn't clean up right. Pick up got pushed back a couple days. (They also offered to allow me to reorder the car if desired, uh, no thanks.) I'm satisfied with their response.
Awesome. Sounds like a great dealer to work with. I suppose a couple of extra days isn't a big deal, right? Looking forward to hearing of your receipt of a beautiful car.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Good news is something there's never enough of, so I am very glad to read that your dealership is doing the right thing.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM
rPod
1st Gear
Good news that they are taking care of it for you. No finish defects should be acceptable. It's like asking them.......how many payments is it ok to skip ?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
nclin
2nd Gear
My MA made sure my MINI was perfect when I picked it up. I actually waited an extra hour so they could thoroughly go through it and give it a final wash and buff up before we hit the road. Don't accept anything less than perfect!