R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Navigation system conundrum!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Grotah
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation system conundrum!!!

Help... Can't decide if better to purchase installed Nav system or after market system. Specific questions...
1) Is it cumbersome in an already smallish space?
2) Is the installed system as good as the after market's?
3) Does the installed system help with other features in the car?
4) If you have it installed, are you happy with purchase, if not, do you wish you had it?

Thanks,

Last edited by Grotah; 08-19-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: did not finish
Old 08-19-2008, 03:33 PM
OWG
5th Gear
Long thread and discussion in Navigation & Audio.
1. No
2. In some ways better. In others not as good.
3. Yes
4. Yes

wampa
3rd Gear
I wish I had it. I like the Lounge Leather and all, but for the same price leatherette would've done me fine and gotten me the factory NAV.

Is my Nuvi sweet? Heck yes it is. But I have to have that stupid plug hanging down, or install it which I haven't done yet, and of course, the most important thing about handhelds, I have to constantly worry about taking it down and hiding it since thieves love GPSs.

Last edited by wampa; 08-19-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: I don't need a reason!
Tu13es
5th Gear
I don't have it, so I can't answer from experience. However, I decided against it for a few reasons. First and most importantly, was money. You can buy a nice aftermarket unit for less than a quarter of what MINI charges. Sure, it won't be contained in the giant speedo, but honestly, I can deal. Also, I know I'd be annoyed when, in a few years from now, aftermarket nav systems have gotten that much better and I'm stuck with my factory one.

You are able to fiddle with some settings and whatnot with the nav system. I'll let someone who has it elaborate. I thought this would be cool, but I decided I won't be changing settings that much anyways.

Just my $.02.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
daffy
1st Gear
Can't live without it. To me, it's a must have option. They should make this a standard feature in every car.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 AM
astra
4th Gear
It fits very nicely in the middle of the huge speedometer...

I am not a big fan of the R55/56 speedo size. I also own a R53 and the size of THAT speedo is just right..

but I digress.

The Nav itself is adequate. It is not great, it is not the best thing since sliced bread, but adequate. The search function is very time consuming, and could have been implemented better. BUt I think the integration into the total car system counts for a lot. I have PDC and having the graphic of the car is a big help.. not to mention the graphic for the tire monitor.

It is huge help around Los Angeles with the ever changeing traffic conditions, but it sometimes will take you on a lengthy and un-necessary detour, because the way it interpretes the traffic information is not very intelligent.

It's a LOT OF MONEY.. probably double what it should be... but saying that.

I am very happy with it in the car, but I am starting to grow dependent on it for some things, and will have to buy a portable gps to go in my other car...

Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Grotah
Neutral
Thanks for answering. It seems that most think it is best to get the installed rather than a great aftermarket, if only for the other things it does. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Factory Navi is awesome

Old 08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Apple
6th Gear
I also like the fact you can check all systems with one word

Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Otra
6th Gear
As I've said before, if I could have afforded the $, I'd have loved having it. I do have the bluetooth/iPod and it does work very well w/o the Nav...but it doesn't help with traffic jams on the George Washington Bridge or the NJ Turnpike.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:34 PM
napria
2nd Gear
I didn't get it for a few reasons:

1. Unlike many, I love the HUGE speedo! I don't want to have a Nav system plunked in the middle of it.
2. We have a fifth wheel (RV that hitches over the bed of a pickup). When we go on a trip I have one GPS that goes from car to truck. If I switch cars, I've got it. If I go on a trip with a friend and she doesn't have a GPS, it comes with us.
3. I've done a lot of research and although everyone has different wants/needs/likes, the Garmin Nuvi 350 is the best all around for us, gets consistently great reviews and it's only $199 at many places.

My .02

Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM
moclubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grotah
Help... Can't decide if better to purchase installed Nav system or after market system. Specific questions...
1) Is it cumbersome in an already smallish space?
2) Is the installed system as good as the after market's?
3) Does the installed system help with other features in the car?
4) If you have it installed, are you happy with purchase, if not, do you wish you had it?

Thanks,
I have had my Clubman with NAV for about two weeks. These are my thoughts:

1. Not particulalry cumbersome, but the navigation of the NAV is a little hard to get used to. The joystick is fun as it is right where you hand falls naturally. however, I touchscreen would have been much better, particularly in such a small car where the reach would not have been that bad. The screen is certainly big enough to get everyhing you need on there. However, I have seen better systems that incorpoate more info on the screen. Also think putting things like the trip computer and other stuff burried within the Navigation menu doesn't make much sense. Much of this is solved with a mastery of the voice commands that bypasses nested menu system. However, it take some time to master the voice commands as well. Much like the rest of the menu, it will become second nature, but it doesn't start off intuitive.

2. I have not used aftermarket systems much, but I understand them to be easier to use as they are touchscreen based and you can look up a business by name, versus searching a category listing first. The screen are also much brighter and feature more colors.

3. I have heard that the NAV provides access to other settings, but I cannot confirm this. What I can tell you is that it makes it much easier to gain access to those same functions versus selecting them via the radio or the display in the tach. I guess you would have to ask yourself, how many times am I going to change the daytime running lights and automatic door lock function.

4. I am happy for two reasons. It integrates well into the dash and eliminates the ridulous speedo. It also provides good directions and traffic alerts which come in handy. having said that, I would not have ordered it if the chrono pack or something like it was still available. I think having the speedo next to the tach and a full set of temperature and pressure gauges would be better in the center stack. I guess when it comes down to it, I bought it less for its function an and more because it looks better than the stock setup.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
I've had factory NAV in my last 2 cars... elected not to opt for factory NAV in the MINI. Instead I use a Garmin NUVI and mount it on the speedometer using the suction cup mount when I actually use it (just watching the moving map display gets old quickly, for me, at least). It works well for me. On the other hand I do miss some of the other setting features you get with the factory NAV.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Peaches611
4th Gear
I debated long and hard over the factory NAV, and finally decided to get it.

Having had it for over 3 months now, I can say that I could not live without it. It's gotten me out of some serious "where the hell am i?" moments, plus I love the seamless integration with my iPod, Sirius, voice commands, bluetooth, etc. To have everything on one screen is priceless.

And, it has such a clean look. Never have to worry about theft of a portable system. For me, definitely worth the extra bucks.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Sneezer
1st Gear
I don't have a Mini yet - hoping to order one at the beginning of the year. However, I have dealt with factory NAV in other cars, and currently have a Nuvi 680. My thoughts are to save the money. My Nuvi was a gift, but you can still get a decent one for a couple hundred. Factor in a kuda mount for a clean install ($75), lifetime subscription to traffic updates for MSN Direct if included ($130) and an integration doohickey for the stereo ($140) that will mute the front speakers when the Garmin needs to do voice prompts, etc. and you have most of the functionality of the factory NAV at a fraction of the price. To me with the economy going south I would rather save as much as possible on the purchase cost, plus I already have a perfectly good Nuvi with 2008 maps on it. Yes you have to be concerned about theft, but I never leave it in the car anyway, and the kuda mount is a little more stealthy than a suction cup ring on the windshield.

Another plus - the Nuvi is touchscreen and you can input/use it while at speed. Most factory NAV units are locked by the factory to only allow limited address or POI searching while moving.

Besides - that big speedo is starting to grow on me a little! Plus the difference in cost will help me pay for window tint on the car, roof graphic for the sunroof, anthracite headliner and some wood trim for the dash.

I also find that the only time I ever really need the NAV is when I need to find an address or I am looking for something to eat, etc. in a strange city. In that case the Nuvi works just fine, and I don't always feel the need to have a moving map up at all times. Plus it is one less thing to break!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Sneezer, so the traffic info is that good? How exactly does the traffic update via MSN work? I suppose my main areas of concern would be covered pretty well - NJ Turnpike, George Washington Bridge, Tappan Zee Bridge, 95 N, but I've never used any GPS with traffic info before.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Traffic works awesome even give you construction zone

Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Sorry, what I meant was the Garmin Nuvi's traffic via MSN...vs the factory Nav. I don't have the factory Nav. I don't have any navigation devices except my maps.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
tboner4me
3rd Gear
Count me as another one who was on the fence about ordering the Nav. I did end up getting it on my wife's new Clubman, with her dislike for the large empty speedo being the deciding factor. And it is nice how it integrates the phone and entertainment options also.

That being said, however, I don't think it is worth $2500 (I would NOT have ordered the auto air, don't understand why it was required to have the NAV) and did not order it when I placed the order for my new MINI - to arrive in about a month.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:15 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
I have a portable and can not wait to get my MINI with the factory NAV. I absolutely hate, hate the cord that dangles in the way. Plus.. the factory NAV is really not just a navigator - it provides a lot more info. Worth every penny to me (besides - I too like the 'look' of it!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Sneezer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Sneezer, so the traffic info is that good? How exactly does the traffic update via MSN work? I suppose my main areas of concern would be covered pretty well - NJ Turnpike, George Washington Bridge, Tappan Zee Bridge, 95 N, but I've never used any GPS with traffic info before.
My 680 came with a free one year subscription to MSN Direct traffic service. It uses a special power plug that has an FM receiver built into it, along with some components. It receives updates via FM in select markets. I suspect it is similar to whatever the NAV comes with. Mainly larger metropolitan areas. As you are driving it will alert you to traffic problems - congestion, accidents and construction, usually a couple miles before you get there. The service also provides local weather forecasts, movie times and gas prices - all very handy at times.

There is an MSN Direct 2.0 that is being rolled out that is supposed to have more capabilities. The newer Nuvis support the 2.0 as well, but I don't think mine does.

The power plug has a built in battery so it can continue downloading updates while the car is off. Without that feature you have to wait for it to get the latest data package before you can access all the features.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Grotah
Neutral
Can it be used while driving or must you be stopped to input addresses?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Now this is something that looks extremely good to me: Garmin Announces Nuvi 2x5 and 7x5, Free Lifetime Traffic, Lane Assist, 3D Transparent View: http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/08/g...ew_nuvi_gp.php The changes outlined look very helpful to me - but be sure to read the comments and then let's check back in for an official review. Amazon shows that one can pre-order for October, I believe.

P.S. Thanks Sneezer and I'm going to assume that Navteq is similar to MSN Direct.

Last edited by Otra; 08-28-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Sneezer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Grotah
Can it be used while driving or must you be stopped to input addresses?
Yes. It has an option to disable/enable. I have mine disabled. Biggest drawback with the 680 vs the current generation of Garmin is the lack of a qwerty keyboard - it just has abcde, etc. which is a little annoying. The new ones have both built in.

The two traffic options offered with Garmin is MSN and the TTM. TTM is just traffic as far as I can tell.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:29 PM
napria
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Now this is something that looks extremely good to me: Garmin Announces Nuvi 2x5 and 7x5, Free Lifetime Traffic, Lane Assist, 3D Transparent View: http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/08/g...ew_nuvi_gp.php The changes outlined look very helpful to me - but be sure to read the comments and then let's check back in for an official review. Amazon shows that one can pre-order for October, I believe.

P.S. Thanks Sneezer and I'm going to assume that Navteq is similar to MSN Direct.

Thanks for the link! That's so helpful!