R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Plate Delimma

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
H3toMCC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plate Delimma

My Plates have arrived from the dealer. My current home state until April 30th is Washington which has both front and rear plates. I'm moving to Mississippi which has only rear plates. My temp tag expires on the April 15th

I don't want to drill the front of the car to put a plate on for 15 days.

Should I:
  1. Park the Clubby for 15 days?
  2. Figure out a way to temp mount the plate? (Suggestions Welcome)
  3. Drive it with rear plate only and keep the front plate on the dash. (Officer the plate holder is on backorder at the dealer)
As a side note, the Clubby is moving to Mississippi in the moving van. It was that or the spousal unit and three dogs (1 large, 2 Medium) in the Clubby for 2,600 miles. At least it's not going on an open car carrier.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's an option...looks good too!
http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MINI.html

Old 04-03-2008, 12:37 AM
cixuru
2nd Gear
I faced the same problem in Arizona a few years ago - keep the plate in your car and when you get pulled over, act dumb and tell them you put them on but the nails kept falling out. :-)

Old 04-03-2008, 04:45 AM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
I was so pissed at my delaer. All the cars on the lot allready have holes drilled so Braman can stick there damn vanity plate on the front. The car I bought was on the storage lot and never made it to the dealer front parking area and it had no plate on it. I forgot to tell them don't drill the front bumper...

Well after the detail they frakin drilled away. Now I have 2 nice self tapping screw holes in my front bumper :(

Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Buy the no-holes baracket posted above. It would be easy to re-sell here on NAM after you move.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 AM
356mikel
2nd Gear
dont drill for the love of god. just dont put it on.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 AM
H3toMCC
1st Gear
Thanks OXYBLUECOOP

That is exactly what I need

Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Option 3, its only 15 days and make sure you carry your front plate in the car with you.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 AM
JeremyAZ
2nd Gear
Please check you vehicle thoroughly when you arrive in Miss. When we moved, we had the company transport the Audi inside their truck and apparently one of the bars fell on the roof and made a considerable dent on the roof/pillar. Unsuspecting, upon delivery the shrewd transport people would point out all the little things on the car to steer our eyes away from the roof and gained the signon. We noticed the problem after they left (there was so much going on when they were unloading the car and from several angles you couldn't quite see the problem). Ended up costing us $4,000.
Just make sure you look high and low--and especially at the roof.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto on what OXYBLUECOOP posted. We have that on our Clubman - works like a charm...

Donna

Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdeppen
I was so pissed at my delaer. All the cars on the lot allready have holes drilled so Braman can stick there damn vanity plate on the front. The car I bought was on the storage lot and never made it to the dealer front parking area and it had no plate on it. I forgot to tell them don't drill the front bumper...

Well after the detail they frakin drilled away. Now I have 2 nice self tapping screw holes in my front bumper :(
Have you checked out bumperplugs.com? Or this DIY solution?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
jameszimo
2nd Gear
We got away with driving our Camry in Washington without a front plate for more than a year before a cop noticed and pulled us over. (The only reason he pulled us over was because it was 4am and we were the only car on the road on our way to the airport and we were in a hurry). A judge later dismissed the ticket when I showed him a photo of the license plate attached to the front bumper.

I mounted the no-holes bracket last week on my clubman and it works great! My only complaint is that it is way over priced for what it is. It would be fairly simple to make one yourself. But personally, I'd just carry the license plate in the car as the chances of getting pulled over for that are pretty slim.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
RaceFace
3rd Gear

My dealer did the same damn thing! Except they made sure it was mounted good and drilled 4 holes! I was pretty hot!

I took it off anyways and with the dark silver, you can hardly see the holes. I have an angle that I'm going to try to fill the holes and use touch up paint. Worst case scenario, It looks bad and I have to put the plate back on. Grrrrrrrr!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 AM
MD-IN-UK
3rd Gear
I travel the roads of VA and we have both front and rear plates as a rule. I never bothered with installing the front, and my MA said, the law probably wouldn't bother me about it either, unless of course, I was doing something worthy of being pulled over for.

Three years later, no problem......

Now I'll probably get pulled for something just for saying this.....

Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheer up, Its not the end of the world, you can put those plugs in, or mount a EURO plate there.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 AM
grey
I'd Rather Be Driving
no!!!!

I live in Illinois where plates are mandatory and half the cars driving around don't have the plates on the front, including mine! I'll pay the ticket and then put on the plate with the no holes one afterwards...

Old 04-03-2008, 11:11 AM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
I've driven in California for 12 years with no front plate and not even a hint of a hassle.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:37 PM
martinbs
2nd Gear
You will think me crazy but I like the plate mounted in the middle - front. The plate holder takes all the hits from people doing parallel parking by ear.
Maybe that benefit means something only to people who live in a city.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by martinbs
The plate holder takes all the hits from people doing parallel parking by ear.
So does my tow hook!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 AM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
Couple of good options. Might look into the home depot plugs and paint them up with some touch up paint.

Mine are VERY noticible due to the Dark Lightning Blue color. Well that and I'm totally **** about my cars finish.

The thought of a Euro plate has crossed my mind as well. I could have one made to match the custom tag I have coming.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Dolmangar
4th Gear
If you're really worried about it, just put some 3M tape on the plate and stick it to the front bumper. Then when you move pull off the plate and clean off the tape.

It's unlikely that you'll get pulled over in the short time anyway, but the tape should hold it just fine.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
Option 3, its only 15 days and make sure you carry your front plate in the car with you.
agreed....no need to spend money on a bracket. I've gone 2 years in a front plate state without a plate installed without any problems. If you got caught in the 15 days left, that would be some REALLY bad luck. Even then, the ticket is only $10-$15.....I'd rather just pay that $10 than pay $50 for a bracket that you will only use for 2 weeks.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Also, I don't know the laws where you live but here in the Great State of Texas it says that the you have to "display" the plate. That means it has to be seen clearly and doesn't mean it has to be installed on the regular license plate areas. So #1, don't move to Mississippi, #2, just carry the plate in the vehicle to show the cop and/or prop it up in the front window. The main reason cops pull people over is not for traffic enforcement for the "good of all" but for probable cause the traffic law gives them so they can show more work stats for their supervisors, to get dates, to find people with warrants, and to find anything illegal.
rdeppen, I specifically told my MA face to face, by phone, and by e-mail to not drill holes for the front license plate and he didn't. I believe he didn't, not because of my telling him but because New Mexico has no front license plates. I bet if I bought my Mini here in Texas, my requests would have fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:28 PM
bad venge
4th Gear
Option 4 buy ANOTHER temp tag

Old 04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
I bet if I bought my Mini here in Texas, my requests would have fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes.
As per my request, Moritz in Arlington didn't drill my front bumper. No problem. I still need to order that no holes holder though.

Did you buy at Sandia MINI in New Mexico? A really cool former Texas MA named Faron works there now, I believe.

Quick Reply: R55 Plate Delimma