R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman S: I Need your Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM
zznalg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman S: I Need your Input

I test drove the Clubman S a few days ago and at first was blown away and all giggles from its handling. Total fun. After 20 minutes, I was getting weary of Torque-Steer. I realized afterwards, that I had the "Power button" depressed for the last 10 minutes of my drive. Could that have exacerbated the torque steer? Is it better without the button depressed? Is the non-S Clubman better in this regard??

I don't know if my tester had a limited slip or not.

I've driven a few vehicles since, including the new WRX STI and the Volvo C30. Neither of them came close to putting the smiles on my face that the Clubman did. Help. Give me hope!!! Thanks.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
I've test-driven a few minis of late (getting ready to order my 1st) and I'm not too sure what you mean by torque-steer. I know that the steering gets a lil 'tighter' (for lack of a better word) with the Power Button but nothing I'd tire of.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 PM
zznalg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ColdFyre
I've test-driven a few minis of late (getting ready to order my 1st) and I'm not too sure what you mean by torque-steer. I know that the steering gets a lil 'tighter' (for lack of a better word) with the Power Button but nothing I'd tire of.
Torque steer is when the engine power output in a front wheel drive vehicle pushes and pulls the direction of the front wheels. In the Clubman, under semi-hard to hard acceleration, I was fighting the engine power to keep the front wheels pointed where I wanted them to go. I was constantly wrestling the steering wheel during acceleration. The car wanted to pull left then right then left... under hard acceleration.

Torque steer is a very well known problem. It rears its ugly head when engine power is relatively high in a front driver.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
gotchya... thanks for the explanation. This will be my 1st front wheel drive. I went from a '94 Camero to a '98 Caddi and now to this

Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 PM
MrBeeb
1st Gear
I just took delivery of a new Clubman S...today with non-sport suspension.
There was a little torque steer but nothing unusual.
If you get used to the fact that front wheel drive cars, under power, can (for lack of better words) be driven by your feet. Step on the gas in a turn and there will be understeer where the car wants to go somewhat straighter that it's pointed, let off and it will tend to turn in (oversteer) more. If you are waffeling between gears and power in a turn that can see like an issue.
I have had my '04 MCS on the track with "good" street tires and that feeling was exaggerated and incredibly fun if not challenging. But that was a combination of speed and traction.
You might try another MINI model to see if that feels the same.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
It's all just stomp and go to me. I'm not bothered by this.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
I have a clubbie WITH LSD. Defenitely helps reduce torque steer.. Id say a worth while option. I dont think the sport button makes much difference at all on torque steer.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:01 PM
zznalg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jaridp
I have a clubbie WITH LSD. Defenitely helps reduce torque steer.. Id say a worth while option. I dont think the sport button makes much difference at all on torque steer.
That's odd. Everything I've read says that LSD's make torque steer worse.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
jyarrow
4th Gear
I used to notice the torque steer on my R56 when I first got it, but I think I've learned to compensate. It doesn't bother me at all now.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 AM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
It is more pronounced with the Sport button on. I picked up a new Clubman S on Sunday. Big difference in throttle respone with Sport mode engaged. Much softer with it off. I have the LSD and it's less in my car then the non LSD equipped model I test drove.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM
zznalg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rdeppen
It is more pronounced with the Sport button on. I picked up a new Clubman S on Sunday. Big difference in throttle respone with Sport mode engaged. Much softer with it off. I have the LSD and it's less in my car then the non LSD equipped model I test drove.
Thanks. That gives me some hopeful points.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because engaging the Sport button makes acceleration more sensitive, it can increase torque steer. The fact that you describe being pulled one direction then the other suggests the car had LSD. Generally, torque steer tends to pull the car to one side in particular. LSD will tend to counter the direction of pull if the wheel slips or chirps, causing the pull in the opposite direction. I have LSD and feel it increases torque steer. The S is particularly suseptible to torque steer, which is a noticeable characteristic of the car.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
Mr. Beeb

With all teh things you bought at Otto's on Friday night yu needed to take delivery of your Clubman to take them home.

By the way my wife bought a MCS yeaterday, even before my Clubman has reached the US.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
MrBeeb
1st Gear
BTW: I stand corrected on the "torque steer" of the Clubman.
I took the car out today in earnest and the torque steer is much more noticeable that my modified '04 MCS which probably has a tad more HP than the Clubman.
The fact that the Clubman has new stiff (possibly over inflated) runflats and it was about 45 degrees didn't help the feeling that the front was going elsewhere...
The only thing I noticed with the Sport setting "on" was a little heaver feeling in steering, not much else, though I wasn't in a position to truly quantify the difference.
I'm still struggling with the fact that the front suspension is literally one inch higher than the rear. Under acceleration its even more pronounced.

Yeah, Jeff your right, now I need to load up on "stuff" for the Clubman.
See you at the next PhillyMINI event.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 PM
pyskacz
3rd Gear
This is my 2nd MINI, with the previous being an R56 MCS. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference with the torque steering between the two. I have two things on my Clubman that I didn't have on the R56: sports suspension and LSD. Perhaps once the break in period is over, when I really start pushing Ocius around the bends, I will notice the difference.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:29 AM
MrBeeb
1st Gear
pyskacz, your perception is probably closer in comparison than mine for sure.
My only reference point is the R53 body engine, trans etc, all different.
On top of that I have suspension mods and 17" non-runflats as well.
Still absolutely love the Clubman.
Except for my pet peeve, the rearward rake of the suspension (front higher than rear by one inch).

See ya.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:23 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Keep in mind that if you get a Clubman S automatic, you can't get the LSD. I did have an episode of torque steer when I pressed the gas pedal with the sport button on from standstill. Remember that torque (around 177 pounds feet) comes very early in these cars at 1,600 RPM, so whenever you crack the whip, hold onto your steering wheel!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 PM
MrBeeb
1st Gear
BTW, My not so little pet peeve is solved, the dealer left two of the shipping "braces" in the front suspension, they removed them .
It was freaking me out, made the ride and steering and appearance very strange to me.
All is good now, the front literally dropped about 3/4" and it behaves normally.
I have a feeling that with the right tire (non-runflat) and tire pressure these cars will handle and feel more predictable.
I don't know anyone that's swapped out their tires yet but I will be soon, if I can find a buyer for the stock runflats.

I have the standard suspension, 16" wheels but do have the LSD.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I have same tire/suspension setup as you but no LSD as the car is automatic.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 PM
pyskacz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrBeeb
BTW, My not so little pet peeve is solved, the dealer left two of the shipping "braces" in the front suspension, they removed them .
It was freaking me out, made the ride and steering and appearance very strange to me.
All is good now, the front literally dropped about 3/4" and it behaves normally.
I have a feeling that with the right tire (non-runflat) and tire pressure these cars will handle and feel more predictable.
I don't know anyone that's swapped out their tires yet but I will be soon, if I can find a buyer for the stock runflats.

I have the standard suspension, 16" wheels but do have the LSD.
I am thinking about doing a tire swap fairly soon, as well as tweaking the camber a bit, as per recommendations of my fellow DCMM'ers, and perhaps tightening the rear a bit (though that will have to wait until I see some more proven R55 products).
Our club had a nice run today, and the runflats performed fine around the bends, with the suspension handling most bumps and curves well. But, I still want to push Ocius around a little harder in a group when the roads are not wet before I start making up my mind on future projects.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:31 AM
MrBeeb
1st Gear
I'm looking at tires now, it appears that 205/55-16's might do the trick, I checked the clearance...(snug but shouldn't rub)....Someone stop me if they know for a fact that size won't fit...
I will not be taking this car to any auto crosses unless my wife wants to.
But I think adding just a k&N stock replacement air filter and the next size up, adjustable rear sway bar should be enough for me now.
Though I did see a nice programmable ECU at Helix the other day, said to add boost under heavy acceleration, (higher RPM?) while keeping it mellow, similar MPG to stock in the 2,000 to 4,000 RPM low acceleration area.
Even with around 300 miles on the car it's starting to feel better, so a $500 to $600 ECU can wait for sure.
Let's al keep in touch as we add or mod anything on our "Clubmen"..
OH BTW, I decided to get mud flaps, just cleaned the side of the car off, diesel fuel swept up from the front. I know, not very sporty but this is the family car, so to speak.

Last edited by MrBeeb; 03-17-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 AM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
Maybe people who think this car with less then 200hp at the tires has Tq steer. While it has some try driving a FWD car with 300+hp at the wheels.

I probably don't feel it's very bad as my last pocket rocket was heavily modified SRT4. 290hp at the tires and 12.90's on street tires. THAT car had Tq steer LOL.

I've got around 600 miles on the Mini in one week and I honestly don't feel like it's much of a car.

It's a Go Kart with turn signals and headlights

Old 03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I ordered my Clubman S and the MA told me that an LSD would make torque steer more pronounced. Anywhy I left it off my spec's and ordered it with MT, no LSD, no Sports Suspension and 17" Pace alloys.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:14 PM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
If it's not to late to add it back in Jim I would. The handling advantages alone make it a very worth while upgrade. As light weight as the Mini's are it would be very easy for this car to light up the inside tire coming out of a corner hard on the gas with the DSC off and Sport mode on. When that little turbo spools it makes some great power for a 1.6 liter. The LSD makes sure it all gets to the ground and really pulls this car off corners. I can't wait for my first track day with it.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a Jetta 1.8T with 180hp and it didn't have a LSD and I never had a problem with spinning an inside tire. It had an electronic brake diff that applied the front brake to the spinning wheel, which I think the standard diff. has on the MINI. I don't plan on Autocrossing, mostly highway driving. I'd like to hear from others who've driven both, LSD and Non-LSD to get their feedback on which they liked best and if the LSD was worth it ($500).

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman S: I Need your Input