R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Back problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:45 AM
mhend
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back problems

Has anyone had back problems since owning a MCS or MCSC? Lately, I have been having a few aches in my back, which i think may have come from the unsupportive seats (of which think they are in the middle back portion of the seat). I spoke with someone a few weeks ago who told me that they got rid of their Cooper-S, because they were experiencing a few back aches. He bought a new car, and the back aches went away. Does anyone have suggestions for seat support?

Old 12-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Try chaning your seating position, some have switched to the non-sport seats offered on the Cooper or switched to a racing seat. I find sitting closer to the wheel can help a little as well as adjustingthe angle, if you have leather seats you can also adjust the lumbar support. I think this will get more responses in MINI talk. You can also search there was a fairly detailed thread about someone on NAM who switched to the Cooper seats as they found it more comfortable.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:34 PM
jsharra
3rd Gear
When I bought mine, I got the leather seats, not because I cared that much about leather, but because it was the only way I could get the adjustable lumbar support. The standard seats are rough on my back (I had surgery on the L4-L5 disk a while back), but the ones with lumbar support are great.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
richreef
3rd Gear
I've had my cabrio for 3 months and I'm also struggling to find a corfortable position for my seat. I have the sports package with leather but find the adjustable support is useless. My back discomfort is in the lower lumbar region and the back support is in the mid to lower thoracic area. I keep moving a little closer to the wheel and adjust the seat a little lower but it's tough to find the "sweet spot". I actually feel better with the support dialed to the lowest position.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 PM
PARealtor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by richreef
I've had my cabrio for 3 months .

Were you at the Eagles game a few weeks ago when McNabb got hurt? I saw your plate and got a laugh from it! I left my MCS at home, too many crazies down there..

Old 12-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I first got Maggie, it took almost 2,000 miles to dial in the correct seat configuration so that my back didn't hurt with the Sport Seats. The lumbar support helped less than the angle and height adjustments. My first long trip was agony but I have since driven even greater distances in total comfort - once you find the combination of settings you will be OK.

Bill

Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 PM
2bkalm
2nd Gear
Ok here's a first hand experience... I've been using a loaner car, my '06 MCSca with leather seats is being painted for a small ding on the drivers door.. I'm using their MCSca with leatherette seats and I can tell you that after driving about 100 miles today I can feel a bit strain upon my middle back...so maybe you need to buy a small cushion to support your back... I never had any uncomfortableness with my leather seats . I can adjust that lower lumbar to how I like it...km

Old 12-13-2006, 06:40 AM
mhend
2nd Gear
I'll definitely look into getting some sort of support device for my lower back. Thanks for your responses. maybe i can cancel my doctor's appt. now

Old 12-13-2006, 07:24 AM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
I have leatherette seats as opposed to leather; the only option besides the nav. that I didn't get. I've been having back problems for some time now and use a cushion because I don't have the lumbar support.

I was recently given a Cooper by the dealer as a loaner that had the leather/lumbar support. WOW, what a difference! It was much better than the cushion! I was always comfortable driving. It's unfortunate that they don't offer the lumbar without having to buy the leather. For the lumbar alone, I regret not getting the leather seats.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mhend
I'll definitely look into getting some sort of support device for my lower back. Thanks for your responses. maybe i can cancel my doctor's appt. now

Yep, cancel your appointment. I had the same problem with my 2005 MCSC for at least two months. I tried every combination of adjustments I could find. No luck. Then one day, poof, no discomfort. I think some our bodies (especially old ones like mine) just need time to adjust.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:26 AM
richreef
3rd Gear
Back pain relieved

I know I posted I couldn't find a comfortable position but I ordered this lumbar support from this company for $14 and it completely takes away my lower back pain when I use it. (see link below). It is unobtrusive and anchors onto the seat with a strap threaded behind the seat.I found out about it on another post where somebody was also having back pain.It is really unbelievable because I was in pain for about two months. It is very small but does a great job. Free shipping also. Best 14 bucks I ever spent

http://healthyback.com/store/sitting/jobri/A2000.htm

BTW- That was my Mini at the Eagles game! I just drove back from the Washington game. The Redskin fans were not happy with my MINI EGL tailgating in their Red lot.I did escape without any damage.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:08 AM
mhend
2nd Gear
Richreef,

Thanks I will look into getting one of lumbar supports. I think that the Temppedic one looks nice.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 AM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
My experience echos many of the above comments. It's taken a lot of experimentation to find the right setting combination for the seat to be comfortable, both in my '05 MCS and my '06 GP. I've owned a lot of different cars and the seats in the MINI's are not the greatest. On some trips I do use a Temperpedic lumbar cushion (the same one I carry with me on plane trips).

Old 12-19-2006, 01:23 PM
jody
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mhend
Has anyone had back problems since owning a MCS or MCSC? Lately, I have been having a few aches in my back, which i think may have come from the unsupportive seats (of which think they are in the middle back portion of the seat). I spoke with someone a few weeks ago who told me that they got rid of their Cooper-S, because they were experiencing a few back aches. He bought a new car, and the back aches went away. Does anyone have suggestions for seat support?
I've had two major back surgeries. The back support from my "S" leather seats gives me great support. If I ride a long distance I will change seat position or lumbar support. I even use the heated seats when my back is really acting up and that helps.....

Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 PM
PARealtor
1st Gear
heated seats are the best... I pulled something the other day playing racquetball and ended up sitting in the car with the heated seat on for an extra 5 minutes just cause it felt so good

Old 12-20-2006, 08:47 PM
creseida
4th Gear
i know what you are going through.

sheepskin will mold to your body and give you support where you need it and still breathe. i picked up a $20 hide/rug from ikea with the densest pile I could find. perfection.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:34 AM
mhend
2nd Gear
The sheepskin sound nice, but I have allergies, and the pain would go from my back to my head from all the sneezing.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:44 AM
DOT191
3rd Gear
Back Comfort

I have had 2 back Operations in my Life. When i Drive/Ride in our Mini i recline the seat to a postion that is comfortable for me. If i do not do this my Back will start to bother me in about 20 minutes.

2003 MC. PW/B. DSC, CVT,Premium Pkg, After MKT Rear Spoiler & Center Arm Rests

Last edited by DOT191; 12-21-2006 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 12-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
The heated seats are great when I have back problems but on the longer trips I find the sport seats in my car are somewhat lacking. After sitting in the Recaros in my Friends Jetta I've decided I need to upgrade the seats but will deffinately keep the heaters.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
I have had a lower back problem prior to buying my first MCS with the stock Sport seats, no lumbar support, and since then I have had no more problems.

Maybe it is the seat, who knows. I chose the fabric material because it is grippy and holds me in place well so that I do not have to keep fighting to stay in position. I also have the heated seats that are great. Like getting a warm back massage while you are driving. Especially nice for a long drive.

My longest drive has only been 5.5 hours one way. But, I felt great for the whole drive and the next day also.

Try fiddling with your seating position, up/down, tilt, forward/back, try different positions. Maybe that will help.

I understand for 2007 there are new seats that are supposed to be more supportive. As a last resort.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:14 PM
mhend
2nd Gear
I've tried fiddling with the seat positions to give me more support, however, even though I am 6'6" (yes I do have adequate leg room) my lower back continues to hurt. This odd because what I'm getting from you all is that your drive your MINIs for long periods of time. I usually drive my MINI at the most about 1/2 intervals. If I need to drive for longer period of time, then i usually drive my truck or my wife's maxima. I would think that back pain would come from driving over an extensive period of time regularly.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Different seats for different folks. I like my sport seats even better than the captains chairs in my van, which are practically recliner like. Even the 9-10 hour drive to the Dragon was very comfy.

Wet Okole seat covers for one are available with a adjustable lumbar support added. So if a pillow helps, you could get seat covers with a support integrated if you don't want it to show. (I didn't get the lumber on my Okoles)

Old 12-21-2006, 12:32 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
no problems with the leather seats and the lumbar... relax-the-back stores sell all kinds of devices

Old 12-23-2006, 02:01 PM
spec1620
1st Gear
I keep fiddling with the seat but seems like you try one for a while and then set it back a little and youll be fine!

Old 12-23-2006, 02:23 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with those about the lumbar support on the leather seats. That's why I got them as well. My newest MINI has cloth seats but I find the heated seats warm up my lumbar area to a point where I really don't miss the lumbar support anymore since it feels like a warm massage. Sometimes I just wish it could get a bit hotter after I get accustomed to the heat, lol.